JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Forget gun background checks... we need microphone background checks.

Who Chose Fat Elvis As Our Spokesman? Salem Rally 01-19-14 :/

I found a video of the speaker but not the speech in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7acbt7f3yE&feature=youtu.be

While many reasonable people have faith in God or believe in Jesus I don't feel that the clownish rant I observed on the steps of the capital speaks for me or truly serves the 2nd amendment. Was the hair supposed to be Elvis or a dead skunk? And, if this man truly did believe in Jesus why would he festoon himself as a charlatan in such a manner as to drive people away from faith? The only things missing from the medicine-show menagerie were kicking away an old woman's crutches and the obligatory sales of snake oil.

This individual's actions, appearance and words are used by our political adversaries to justify their positions.

Best regards,
SunTzu

PS: Hi Yankee Marshal it was great chatting.

PPS: To the man with the sign about the african village missing its idiot: " it's " is a contraction for it is.... you meant to write " its " meaning that said village is the true home of said idiot. Sorry to nit pick but don't throw around "idiot" while using poor grammar.

Exactly! What does fundamentalist religion have to do with the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution? Wrong dates...embarrassing speakers...who planned this thing?

Exactly! What does fundamentalist religion have to do with the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution? Wrong dates...embarrassing speakers...who planned this thing?

If I was Michael Bloomberg I would hire such individuals to infiltrate and defame the gun rights camp through straw-man arguments.

I can appreciate his sincerity, but he wasn't a good pick for a spokesman. My husband and I are Jewish and didn't mind the prayer that was said by a different miinister-although we didn't take part in it-but the preaching by Elvis was really irritating. I am guessing that a large part of the crowd was conservative Christian, so maybe they appreciated it. I just don't think it's a smart move...too many people will be turned off by it. And why was Sons of the Confederate (or whatever it was) brought up by Elvis? Ammunition for the libs to use showing that we are all just a bunch of racists.
The letter by the blind gunner who couldn't be there bordered on paranoia....another thing that should have been passed over.
And the guy with the AR on the left...was he supposed to be security? Ugghhh.....
To be honest I think we need to class up the whole event by having better speakers...unless they showed up after we left a little before 2:00.

PS: hi Yankee Marshal it was great chatting.

PPS: To the man with the sign about the african village missing its idiot: " it's " is a contraction for it is.... you meant to write " its " meaning that said village is the true home of said idiot. Sorry to nit pick but don't throw around "idiot" while using poor grammar.

:) I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE BEST SIGN THERE :)

this individual's actions, appearance and words are used by our political adversaries to justify their positions.

I guess we don't need to wait for our political adversaries to do that, your doing their job for them.

The only thing that bothered me was the guy on stage with the confederate flag, that's who the media would have zeroed in on no matter why he was there. And maybe the lady pretending to be Charlton Heston,,,

The rest could be tuned out if you didn't care to hear it,,,

I must have missed the prayer. I suppose "Elvis" may have the most pure intentions but nonetheless, things got weird. And, judging by the awkward glances shared by all those around me it seemed as if most/all agreed that said individual was not a good choice as a spokesperson. There was also one gaffe said by another person that was the stuff of anti-gun headlines that really will sink our battleship.

I can appreciate his sincerity, but he wasn't a good pick for a spokesman. My husband and I are Jewish and didn't mind the prayer that was said by a different miinister-although we didn't take part in it-but the preaching by Elvis was really irritating. I am guessing that a large part of the crowd was conservative Christian, so maybe they appreciated it. I just don't think it's a smart move...too many people will be turned off by it. And why was Sons of the Confederate (or whatever it was) brought up by Elvis? Ammunition for the libs to use showing that we are all just a bunch of racists.
The letter by the blind gunner who couldn't be there bordered on paranoia....another thing that should have been passed over.
And the guy with the AR on the left...was he supposed to be security? Ugghhh.....
To be honest I think we need to class up the whole event by having better speakers...unless they showed up after we left a little before 2:00.

I really think we need to just concentrate on the 2nd Amendment and gun rights at these things. You have to be careful about adding other issues people talk about.

Might help get better numbers at these events also.

I guess we don't need to wait for our political adversaries to do that, your doing their job for them.

The only thing that bothered me was the guy on stage with the confederate flag, that's who the media would have zeroed in on no matter why he was there. And maybe the lady pretending to be Charlton Heston,,,

The rest could be tuned out if you didn't care to hear it,,,

That man did not speak for me. I thought I was going to a rally protesting new gun laws not a holy-roller medicine show.

I must have missed the prayer. I suppose "Elvis" may have the most pure intentions but nonetheless, things got weird. And, judging by the awkward glances shared by all those around me it seemed as if most/all agreed that said individual was not a good choice as a spokesperson.
Oh, it was really strange.....including his sighting of angels twice in his life, some on the road as he was driving that were as tall as telephone poles.
It was very weird indeed.

Yeah I heard that one about the angels and then his wife and that the statement had no coherent point. And then later I was chatting with some other members and I heard someone on the mic passionately state something that was the wrong thing to say.... the statement *may have been the "letter" you mentioned. I'm not repeating what I heard later because it needs to be buried and forgotten.

Oh, it was really strange.....including his sighting of angels twice in his life, some on the road as he was driving that were as tall as telephone poles.
It was very weird indeed.

Similarly-themed speech was given at the WA rally last year, where a speaker started railing about abortion and Bible in schools during a 2A rights rally. It felt completely out of place and detrimental to the message, but the guy didn't go on too long with it. Sounds like your guy did.

Anyone got pictures of this guy? Obviously I was not at the OR rally, being from WA and all...

Not making a choice is the same as making a choice.
I'm not sure what you're responding to. I've made a choice to oppose new gun laws and I made the choice to go to Salem to show support for my position. I just don't think the individual speaking about spiritual visions was constructive or relevant. My personal opinions (and those of the speaker) on religion and other issues are irrelevant.

Sounds like the rally needs guidance/input from NRA or OFF on what sort of qualities a spokesperson should have. I think that one of them would have had a better idea of whom or what should be talked about during a rally for 2A rights. Sounds like Elvis's was the rally corrdinator and it should never of happended as it may have hurt all of our cause more than help.

And why was Sons of the Confederate (or whatever it was) brought up by Elvis? Ammunition for the libs to use showing that we are all just a bunch of racists.

Do a Google search on the Sons of the Confederate it isn't a racist thing at all, although most uneducated people will jump to that conclusion via the name. Although I am all for not flying the confederate flag at any public event in our country, (not that I am offended by our country's past) I just believe the only flag that should be flown a public events in our country is the flag of the United States of America.

The rally organizers really need to get better speakers if they want people to continue making an effort to attend. Today's rally was somewhat a waste of time because I don't think that it excited anybody to take action that already isn't politically active.

Do a Google search on the Sons of the Confederate it isn't a racist thing at all, although most uneducated people will jump to that conclusion via the name.
Yes, I agree it is not racist but people are not going to do a Google search. They are going to hear the word "Confederate" and assume it's racist. It was not necessary to the 2A to highlight this organization and may be detrimental.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top