JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forget gun background checks... we need microphone background checks.

Who Chose Fat Elvis As Our Spokesman? Salem Rally 01-19-14 :/

While many reasonable people have faith in God or believe in Jesus i don't feel that the clownish rant i observed on the steps of the capital speak for me or truly serve the 2nd amendment. Was the hair supposed to be Elvis or a dead skunk? and, if this man truly did believe in Jesus why would he festoon himself as a charlatan in such a manner as to drive people away from faith? The only things missing from the medicine-show menagerie were kicking away an old woman's crutches and the obligatory sales of snake oil.

this individual's actions, appearance and words are used by our political adversaries to justify their positions.

Best regards,
SunTzu

PS: hi Yankee Marshal it was great chatting.

PPS: To the man with the sign about the african village missing its idiot: " it's " is a contraction for it is.... you meant to write " its " meaning that said village is the true home of said idiot. Sorry to nit pick but don't throw around "idiot" while using poor grammar.
I was there for 2 1/2 hours and listened to all the speakers and observed the entire event. Yes some of the speakers could have been more focused on the theme but each and every person in attendance was there to stand for our rights as Americans.
I get tired of hearing all the whining about this sign, or that speech, or that guy looking like whatever....
By the way, the other side of the sign " Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot" read "STOP BLAMING THE GUNS". I hope you feel better now that I corrected the it"s.

As I already mentioned on the "Rally" thread:
Even though I am more than elegible to join the Sons of the Confederacy, his preaching left a bad taste in my mouth. I have no use for religion and have no issue with those who do, but I felt this rally was being hijacked.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt the rally was not the place for this.

Give the guy props for stepping up to sing but yeah he stinks.

Not sure if Elvis was ever that big either....

okay. now imagine that guy start on a diatribe about his visions of angels standing as tall as telephone poles as far as the eye can see and other weird stuff... yeah, we need articulate arguments spoken by reasonable, non tinfoil-hat wearing citizens.

I was there for 2 1/2 hours and listened to all the speakers and observed the entire event. Yes some of the speakers could have been more focused on the theme but each and every person in attendance was there to stand for our rights as Americans.
I get tired of hearing all the whining about this sign, or that speech, or that guy looking like whatever....
By the way, the other side of the sign " Somewhere in Kenya a village is missing its idiot" read "STOP BLAMING THE GUNS". I hope you feel better now that I corrected the it"s.

;) Maybe I feel a little better. I'm not whining; merely pointing out that the offending speeches didn't further gun rights and perpetuated negative stereotypes of gun owners.

I am going to agree with this post. It is impossible to have every speaker fit everybody. If I was planning to speaking at one of these rallies and read this thread I would really think twice about it. I thought for the most part it was a pretty good rally.

What we need is articulate, main stream speakers, and a squeaky clean image put forward. Confederate flags, camo gear, open carry, bikers, and paranoid rantings are simply ammunition for the other side, and they turn off anybody who might sympathize with us. No matter how many positive speakers and positive messages are presented, the news and the anti's will focus public attention on the negative images and statements. A poorly planned rally with a poor turnout comprised of fringe people, who appear or act in a threatening manner only does our cause harm. Picking the weekend day where two more or less local teams are playing for a Super Bowl birth is insanity. You know what's happening only 7 days later on January 26th? Nothing, absolutely nothing. It would have been a perfect date. We can't afford very many mistakes like this.

Exactly! What does fundamentalist religion have to do with the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution?
Nothing and it's sad people cannot realize that. Marketing wise, separating 2A and pro gun perspectives from religion and conservatism would be very beneficial. People are polarized by their indoctrinations and removing alliances would remove inborn enemies.

Nothing and it's sad people cannot realize that. Marketing wise, separating 2A and pro gun perspectives from religion and conservatism would be very beneficial. People are polarized by their indoctrinations and removing alliances would remove inborn enemies.

Without Conservatism we would all be turning in our guns today. Can you imagine without that resistance as weak as it is at times where the US would be with gun control. Its not conservatives that are introducting anti gun laws. You cannot seperated conservatives and religion just like you can't seperate progressives from global warming there religion. So while everyone is ranting and raving about this topic the unified anti gunners are carring on. This why progressives don't need a logical argument and how they get away with it. Standing together and Unified. Those that complain need to step up and run it their way.

Without Conservatism we would all be turning in our guns today. Can you imagine without that resistance as weak as it is at times where the US would be with gun control. Its not conservatives that are introducting anti gun laws. You cannot seperated conservatives and religion just like you can't seperate progressives from global warming there religion. So while everyone is ranting and raving about this topic the unified anti gunners are carring on. This why progressives don't need a logical argument and how they get away with it. Standing together and Unified. Those that complain need to step up and run it their way.

actually i know Democrats who are NRA members and own black rifles. Also, this was the first gun rally i've ever been to and the very first thing i heard was Elvis going off about an angelic vision (which could have been complications to diabetes). I felt ripped off. I went to the rally to send a message by my presence that i oppose new gun laws not to hear some holy-roller wax poetic. im allowed to support the 2nd amendment AND think that fat-elvis is not the right spokesman for me.

Also, anti-gunners aren't unified either. There's plenty of infighting between the universal BG check, mag ban, black rifle ban, total confiscation AND the people who aren't totally decided on what's right.

of what i saw, the only things that really left a bad taste were elvis and the dude that said he didn't care about school shootings... i think i get what the 2nd guy was "trying to say" (that any free society has risk) but it was one of those moments that made me cringe and think, "why would you say that?!?!?!"

Progressive are clearly unified on the distruction of the 2A. If how and to what degree is all they are infighting about then they are unified in their cause. I also know democrats that are pro 2A if they are old school democarts then great but they also have voted in progressives that have hijacked the democrat party not only once but 2 times. Again where are they helping fight off there own party I just want some proof as we have all lived the progressive lies for the last 5 yrs it pretty hard to believe anything they say.

Progressive are clearly unified on the distruction of the 2A. If how and to what degree is all they are infighting about then they are unified in their cause. I also know democrats that are pro 2A if they are old school democarts then great but they also have voted in progressives that have hijacked the democrat party not only once but 2 times. Again where are they helping fight off there own party I just want some proof as we have all lived the progressive lies for the last 5 yrs it pretty hard to believe anything they say.

why believe any politician? if these evil deep pocket progressives have enough coin to buy out the dems then why wouldn't the same deep pockets be just as capable of buying out republicans as well? and, until sandy hook obama had gone on record saying that ak's weren't the preferred weapons of criminals and that black rifles weren't a priority. post sandy hook obama was simply responding to the cries of the masses (i don't like obama so don't start that).

anyway, everyone started talking AWB and a bunch of other malarkey and now a new generation is signing up for OFF, NRA etc and i decided to go to the rally to do my part to stop the nonsense.

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:
Progressive" Leftists and conservarives are 179 degrees apart and there is no way they will ever see things the same way.
NEVER
With all of them it is "accept our ways and beliefs but yours are wrong and they won't accept ours. That is the way it is, has been and will be !

Mixing guns with religion is alienating. It is truly harmful to the pro gun stand point. Denying that as true means condemning it to failure. Religion is less and less a good political topic public opinion wise. All politics are marketing to some degree. So mixing topics like this is in poor taste.

Understand that my comment has zero to do with having religious options, beliefs, or comments.

Mixing guns with religion is alienating. It is truly harmful to the pro gun stand point. Denying that as true means condemning it to failure. Religion is less and less a good political topic public opinion wise. All politics are marketing to some degree. So mixing topics like this is in poor taste.

Understand that my comment has zero to do with having religious options, beliefs, or comments.

a speaker saying he personally believes in Jesus and is a family man or whatever isn't really the issue. like when a football player mentions his faith in Christ as an inspiration in an interview sure go for it. but, showing up with skunk hair telling ufo-like stories about angelic visions in a lengthy sermon seem very out of place at a PRO 2A RALLY and the message we need to convey.

why believe any politician? if these evil deep pocket progressives have enough coin to buy out the dems then why wouldn't the same deep pockets be just as capable of buying out republicans as well? and, until sandy hook obama had gone on record saying that ak's weren't the preferred weapons of criminals and that black rifles weren't a priority. post sandy hook obama was simply responding to the cries of the masses (i don't like obama so don't start that).

anyway, everyone started talking AWB and a bunch of other malarkey and now a new generation is signing up for OFF, NRA etc and i decided to go to the rally to do my part to stop the nonsense.

Its more about ideolgy and control than money althought we saw the buy outs in obammycare. I just don't think old school democrats even realize there party has been hijacked they are still living like your grandpas democrats which they are not anymore. And yes there are progressive republicans that would be more honest having a D behind their name. At the state level we have both in congress in the fed level very few real dems all progressives a very dangerous place for our liberty to continue. You can't listen to what obammy says watch what he does. He's been lieing for 5 yrs.

If you say that in order to be pro-gun you must accept Conservative politics and religious views you will find a lot of people leaving your voting block. Conservatives are not the only people who support the 2nd Amendment, and they do not own that side of the argument. They cannot dictate to the rest of us a political, social, or religious agenda. If they try to do that they will find themselves alone. Currently there are many other groups that support the 2nd Amendment. A large number of Libertarians and moderate Democrats are on this side of the argument as well. When you present the kind of things that were presented today at the rally as being the pro-gun community you alienate all those other potential supporters, as well as providing ammunition to the anti's. If we're going to save the 2nd Amendment we need to divorce it from the strictly Conservative image that was presented today.

Big Elvis in Las Vegas is pro 2A. A better singer also.

IMAG002.JPG

Pallet Cleanser ...

Last edited by a moderator:
From the preacher that started the show and told us we were wrong when we thought we were going to get away without going to church today, to the the Elvis guy that thinks every bad acid trip he ever took was a conversation with god, to the politician that held up a bible and said it was what our laws should be based upon...I just wasn't sure who I was supposed to be offended by more. Then there was the fat guy with the rebel flag. I am not sure which I was bothered more by...the flag or the fact he was wearing short pants in winter. We get it. Fat people don't get cold.

For some comparison (however you want to look at it)...this is from the Austin TX rally. I saw one report that said there were 50 in attendance, another that said 150, and a third that said "dozens". One of the speakers was Gary Johnson (personally, I voted for the guy). His speech was a little awkward but decent, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw KATU News @ 11... who's face did they show?????? ELVIS! WHICH IS MY POINT. he's just not a good face/spokesman for 2a.

*Although the man they interviewed hit all the right points... he was there with his wife and kids and they looked like normal people. He just said something like: we're good people and we want to keep our guns and we oppose the universal BG check.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top