JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone else try this one yet? It's not bottled in a traditional glass bottle but instead uses a stainless can which might be pretty handy on my Alaska trips.

20190309_120347.jpg

Made a really good drink last night - a twist on an Old Fashioned.

2-4 parts bourbon or whiskey
1 part honey
1 part water
ice cubes
garnish with cherries or a slide of citrus

Combine honey and water in small sauce pan, and stir and heat to a syrup. Let cool. Once cooled, add this and 2-4 parts liquor (depending on how strong you like your drink) and ice and garnish to a glass. Enjoy.

I had 3 of these strong drinks last night and they were fabulous!

My late great-uncle Jack, a veteran of WW1 trench warfare, had what he called a 'lightning pick-you-up'. It was his firm belief that getting this down you would result in an near-instant recovery from most things short of general decapitation. Since he came home, and most of his pals did not, you can take it to the bank that it was efficacious....

Here it is -

1. Take a ten-ounce glass and 3/4 fill it with pure rubbing alcohol. Here in yUK we'd use methylated spirits, but that has a purple colouring it in to stop old lags buying it as a medicine. I use it it for firing up my live-steam model trains...or when I run out of my usual ethanol.

2. Top it up to within 1/4" of the rim with 'California Syrup of Figs' - at that time, and well into the 1970s, a well-known relaxative of the bowels. I say 're-laxative because having taken the stuff, you keep right on 'going'....

3. Finish it off with a heaped tablespoonful of Andrew's Liver Salts/Krueschen Salts/Nitrate of Magnesia or your favourite non-tablet form of Alka-Seltzer.

4. Stir vigorously and get it down your neck before the fizz disappears.

You WILL feel better. Great-uncle Jack said so.

If it's anything but water, you're wasting your money on anything above "well" quality.
Just get hood river brand or whatever.
Idk about that. If you're pouring a stronger drink, good whiskey is still good whiskey.

I see this topic more like "drink what you want how you like it" no skin off my back as far as who mixes what together.

My late great-uncle Jack, a veteran of WW1 trench warfare, had what he called a 'lightning pick-you-up'. It was his firm belief that getting this down you would result in an near-instant recovery from most things short of general decapitation. Since he came home, and most of his pals did not, you can take it to the bank that it was efficacious....

Here it is -

1. Take a ten-ounce glass and 3/4 fill it with pure rubbing alcohol. Here in yUK we'd use methylated spirits, but that has a purple colouring it in to stop old lags buying it as a medicine. I use it it for firing up my live-steam model trains...or when I run out of my usual ethanol.

2. Top it up to within 1/4" of the rim with 'California Syrup of Figs' - at that time, and well into the 1970s, a well-known relaxative of the bowels. I say 're-laxative because having taken the stuff, you keep right on 'going'....

3. Finish it off with a heaped tablespoonful of Andrew's Liver Salts/Krueschen Salts/Nitrate of Magnesia or your favourite non-tablet form of Alka-Seltzer.

4. Stir vigorously and get it down your neck before the fizz disappears.

You WILL feel better. Great-uncle Jack said so.
You can drink rubbing alcohol?
But you won't get drunk right?

You can drink rubbing alcohol?
But you won't get drunk right?

I dont advise drinking rubbing alcohol. My roommate when I stationed over in Iraq and some of our other buddies heard you could get drunk drinking that crap so they went out and bought a bunch. I worked graveyard shift and he worked days. They walked in our trailer right as I was heading out to work and told me their master plan to get drunk. I wished em luck and went to work. The next morning I show up at the trailer and theres vomit all over outside and it smells like absolute bubblegum. I walked in and my roommate was hanging half off his bed looking like he got hit by a train. He he half rused awake and groaned and I told him it looks like they had fun. I walked over to one of the other guys trailer that was there and there was vomit and bubblegum and a bubblegum covered sock outside his trailer. I knocked and after a couple minutes he answered the door looking much the same as my roommate but the front of his pants were covered in diarrhea...it smelled terrible around our trailers for days.

4182ED66-F97D-43D2-8D1B-5221F15369D9.jpeg Man,not sure how I missed the train on this thread!
I love doing "flights" and my famous "world tours" at my bar to figure out what a person likes. Nothing helps figure out your taste better than 10-12 different examples side by side.

Whiskey- imo, you first have to establish how much, or if at all, one likes rye. My taste buds are not a fan, so any mash bill more than 20% gets a gas face from me. Rye brings out a spicy flavor best way I can describe it. If you like rye, the world is your oyster!
Every whiskey and region has its own personality. Canadian, Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, Irish, Scottish, Japanese.

If someone is a "beginner", I like to start them off with some Irish. Jamison and Bushmills. Smooth, easy, not a powerful flavor. Next would be Canadians. I'm not a fan, but Crown Royal and Pendleton are great examples. Then the bourbons. The real yum!
Knob Creek is an excellent choice at a very good value. One of my favorites. Blanton's is my top bourbon choice right now and I'm 4 horses into completing the race.
If you must mix, the Chairman of the Board did it best with Jack and Coke.

View attachment 557175 Man,not sure how I missed the train on this thread!
I love doing "flights" and my famous "world tours" at my bar to figure out what a person likes. Nothing helps figure out your taste better than 10-12 different examples side by side.

Whiskey- imo, you first have to establish how much, or if at all, one likes rye. My taste buds are not a fan, so any mash bill more than 20% gets a gas face from me. Rye brings out a spicy flavor best way I can describe it. If you like rye, the world is your oyster!
Every whiskey and region has its own personality. Canadian, Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, Irish, Scottish, Japanese.

If someone is a "beginner", I like to start them off with some Irish. Jamison and Bushmills. Smooth, easy, not a powerful flavor. Next would be Canadians. I'm not a fan, but Crown Royal and Pendleton are great examples. Then the bourbons. The real yum!
Knob Creek is an excellent choice at a very good value. One of my favorites. Blanton's is my top bourbon choice right now and I'm 4 horses into completing the race.
If you must mix, the Chairman of the Board did it best with Jack and Coke.

Nice little collection you got going. If your a bourbon fan try the old forrester 1920. It was mine and my wife's top pick between, Angel's envy, eagle rare, bulleit, four Rose's small batch, and knob creek.

If you are in Oregon: Whippersnapper (It is my all time favorite and at $30/bottle it can't be beat)
If you are in Washington: Check out Woodinville
If you are anywhere else in the U.S.A: Jameson or Eagle Rare. Basil Hayden is always an A+

I recently found out that my mother in law likes to mix drinks with whiskey, now and then. I think it would be a great Christmas gift for her that she could enjoy all year. I do not know anything about whiskeys, other than I bought a bottle of Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey a while back. That and I know that it is made in barrels.... So a novice here wanting to get a good gift for someone.

Anyone have any good whiskey suggestions for a gift?

Skunk Brothers Distilling in Stevenson, WA makes a heck of a fine bourbon!

Suggestions
** The only valid definition of "good" whiskey is "whiskey you like to drink." **

(forgive spelling)

Monkey Shoulder, Blended Scotch
Highland Park 12, Scotch
Glenfiddich 12, Spayside Scotch
Macallan 12, Scotch
Caol Ila 12, Scotch
Jameson, Irish
Bulleit Rye,
Elijah Craig Small Batch, Burbon
Buffalo Trace, Burbon
Four Roses Single Barrel, Burbon
Hibiki Harmony, Japanese

Yep, some of the distilleries are experimenting with different advanced aging techniqes including putting barrels on ocean going vessels. Temp swings and agitation creating better exposure to oxygen have both been proven to advance aging of spirits. If I remember right one of the distilleries had the roof of one of their barrel storage buildings ripped off during Katrina. Due to other prorities it did not get repaired for quite awhile. The barrels sat exposed to the wind, rain, sun and constant temp swings for well over a year. When the contents were sampled they couldn't believe how fast the aging was taking place. I believe some of there product is purposely stored outdoors now.
At Maker's Mark their aging barrels were in an outdoor rack with 3 sides and a roof. It was about 50' x 200' and covered with corrugated steel roofing/siding, all painted flat black.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top