JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently found out that my mother in law likes to mix drinks with whiskey, now and then. I think it would be a great Christmas gift for her that she could enjoy all year. I do not know anything about whiskeys, other than I bought a bottle of Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey a while back. That and I know that it is made in barrels.... So a novice here wanting to get a good gift for someone.

Anyone have any good whiskey suggestions for a gift?

If she likes the "straight-up" whiskey, all of the above are excellent suggestions for a gift. Gentleman Jack is also another good one.

I like sweeter. I like the Black Velvet Toasted Caramel, or the R&R (Rich & Rare) Caramel. In a bucket, 1 ice cube, mmmmm....... yummy. :D

All whiskey worth note is made in barrels. All whiskey starts out white/clear and gets it's color and much of its flavor profile from the charred oak barrels it is stored/aged in. That being said I would maybe find out what type of whiskey she likes and get a higher end bottle from the same distillery that has been aged longer. I like all sorts of whiskies from some of the canadian styles with rye in the forefront to Irish like Jameson. I also enjoy many of the peaty smoky scotches that I usually can't afford like Caol ila, Lagavulin and such. I mostly drink this high end stuff neet as it should be. Some of the others I will pour over a few rocks or with a splash of soda or water depending on my mood. But remember fish fornicate in water and it is a damn poor mixer at best. o_O

If it's being mixed, it really doesn't matter. If it's gonna be tasted straight up or on ice, then the sky is the limit. A really nice and easy Rye (Canadian) is Pendleton 1910.

Or any cheap Canadian for mixed drinks. Black Velvet, R&R, even Crown Royal, relatively inexpensive, and can be mixed or straight.

If she's a real whiskey drinker, then the menu is much more broad, with thousands of really good choices. Jack Daniels, is always the same, bottle after bottle. And always acceptable.

Then there's Scotch. If she has a taste for it, there are some tremendous choices, from cheap to more than a car. A mass produced Glenlivit is always acceptable.

This is worse than suggesting which firearm to buy. There are so many palates, and so many choices. I don't know when it happened, but I really like whiskey.:cool:

Everybody close to me knows there is a bottle of whiskey open in my garage. Or in my trunk when I'm at a social event where the men must escape periodically. Nobody has ever told me I have bad whiskey

If she is mixing, get a reliable bottle like Jack Daniel or Pendleton.

If she is into drinking it neatly.

I recommend a bottle of Basil Hayden's.

Then there's Scotch. If she has a taste for it, there are some tremendous choices, from cheap to more than a car. A mass produced Glenlivit is always acceptable.

Macallan 12 is my go to scotch, I have to have single malt, but it's a waste to mix it IMO

This is worse than suggesting which firearm to buy. There are so many palates, and so many choices. I don't know when it happened, but I really like whiskey.:cool:

Lot of truth right there.

Everybody close to me knows there is a bottle of whiskey open in my garage. Or in my trunk when I'm at a social event where the men must escape periodically. Nobody has ever told me I have bad whiskey

:s0062:

You say whiskey and I take that to mean a bourbon or a blend of such and not scotch(most mix that w water or soda). What does she mix her whiskey with? 7UP, Cola,something sweet? Then spending 2-3-4 times basic is too much. Sweet hides most of the flavor. Use Jack Daniels, Jim Beam etc. Does she drink it neat? Then your choices are limitless. Bourbon, Rye work for that. Try a local distillery and make it a special gift, something not the usual.

Of course, there is always Fireball!

You say whiskey and I take that to mean a bourbon or a blend of such and not scotch(most mix that w water or soda). What does she mix her whiskey with? 7UP, Cola,something sweet? Then spending 2-3-4 times basic is too much. Sweet hides most of the flavor. Use Jack Daniels, Jim Beam etc. Does she drink it neat? Then your choices are limitless. Bourbon, Rye work for that. Try a local distillery and make it a special gift, something not the usual.

Of course, there is always Fireball!

That was what I was thinking. Something local, and that she could enjoy straight.

I really do not know what she mixes with. I had that Dry Fly bottle and she said she wanted to try some so I gave her a glass, and she said she usually mixes it. Maybe I should have asked "with what", but I wasn't really thinking about it then.

Here are a few more things about whiskey that are not universally understood. Higher end stuff is expensive for several reasons. First, they usually make tighter cuts coming off the still resulting in a more pure product but with less total volume for barrel aging. This is why more expensive stuff usually does not give you a hangover as it doesn't contain as much of the fuesel alchohols and other components that cause hangovers. Second The handling and longer storage/aging of higher end stuff adds much to overhead costs not to mention the evaporation that occurs during the barrel aging process. This evaporation is known as the angel's cut and reduces final volume considerably. There is way more overhead in a good bottle of booze for sure.
Single malt does not neccessarily equate to expensive. It just means it is derived/mashed from a single type of grain and can be made into a cheap hootch as well.

That was what I was thinking. Something local, and that she could enjoy straight.

I really do not know what she mixes with. I had that Dry Fly bottle and she said she wanted to try some so I gave her a glass, and she said she usually mixes it. Maybe I should have asked "with what", but I wasn't really thinking about it then.
I've been a Jack Daniel's drinker for 40 years. I have been given various types of JD and expensive whiskey. Drink it near and still prefer JD #7. I've found that people drink what they like and will go back to it after trying something else.
I tended bar for 10 years and have known people to drink Chevis and Coke! (Waste of both to me), but people drink what they like.

Think I need to drive down to see the falls .... :D

Anyone who is just slamming shots, should use cheap. There are $60/shot whiskey's. Sip.
I use water - as in a few drops - to release the notes, wake up the flavors.

My wife will drink a Crown & Coke.
or - Crown Vanilla & Coke Around $25 750ml.

If you want to learn about whiskey, then head over to the Multnomah Whiskey Library.
-or-
Head over to your local McMenamins and try a sampling of theirs -
Pubs & Restaurants in Portland Oregon | McMenamins - McMenamins
They will sell bottles (at some locations anyway) which can make for a more unique gift -- that is one not in the OLCC store.

Need some videos?
The Modern Rogue

OLCC pricing - should be the same at any OLCC store
OLCC Liquor Stores and Products Product and Pricing - Current Month

Some of my favorite bourbon
Basil Hayden
Knob Creek
Woodford
Buffalo trace

Blends

Pendleton
Snake river stampede

Or to mix it up, there is the Japanese whiskey aged in old bourbon barrels which is pretty good like Suntory or Hibiki.

If it was for my ex mother in-law, I would buy two bottles, one really expensive sipping whiskey and one cheap one, then switch bottles.
One for her, one for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top