JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't know good whiskey from bad whiskey as I'm a beer man. But tagging this for gift ideas for my dad. :)

Ive spent a stupid amount of money on Pendelton over the years.... Don't get me wrong, I don't (not like) Pendelton but for the money there are MUCH better sippers to enjoy.
Lately I have stocking the bar with Westland single Malt. Highly recommend adding a bottle to your collection!

Ive spent a stupid amount of money on Pendelton over the years.... Don't get me wrong, I don't (not like) Pendelton but for the money there are MUCH better sippers to enjoy.
Lately I have stocking the bar with Westland single Malt. Highly recommend adding a bottle to your collection!

Several years back I went on a guided fishing trip with one of the owners of Westland distillery and he brought some whiskey and I remeber it being quite good. This was well before they started selling their product. I should pick up a bottle and try it now that the are more than a startup. I know they have some unique whiskeys like one that is aged in oak barrels made of a type of oak that only grows in the PNW. Cheers

Best whisky I've ever had was last fall in Japan.

Yes, the Japanese make whisky and it is very, very good and very cheap. Over there...

I brought back a bottle for my brother and it was around $40 locally. Over $100 here.

10423342.jpg

Kind of late to the party but I love whiskey so thought I'd chime in. For mixed drinks I'd say get anything cheap. Flavor will be drowned out anyways. If drinking straight find out what she likes and get a bottle from the same family. Everyones different. Theres a lot more to whiskey than I ever realized but I've been learning the last couple months as you can see. The YouTube channel whiskey vault is great for anyone wanting to know more about whiskey and those guys are right when they say the best whiskey is the kind of whiskey you like to drink however you like to drink it. There is no right or wrong. As for my favorites and what I like, I like a more floral/fruity whiskey like balvenie, glenlivit 12, aberlour, glenfiddich 12, and many others. I can handle a little peat smoke in some but not really a fan of it yet. The whiskey world is huge and I'm having a damn good time learning about it. Oh and for bourbon, old forester 1920 is my favorite so far. Remember price doesnt reflect how good a whiskey necessarily is, it reflects how rare it is.

20190214_144627.jpg

Little late to the part here but I regularly buy in no specific order; makers, eagle rare, buffalo trace (well basically anything from the buffalo distillery is good) bulliet. And if you're ever lucky enough to get your paws on some pappy van winkle, count your blessings, kiss your mama and buy a damn lottery ticket cause that is the best juice that has ever blessed this world.

Thanks for providing these lists.

I gotta say though, it's still completely weird that Oregon keeps such a strangle hold on booze sales. Only certain products can be sold here, and you can still only buy retail on certain days and certain times, and only in certain places.

I've been elsewhere where the states are more concerned with revenue than control, and the array of products is absolutely unbelievable. It's a great big world out there, spiritually, (pun intended), and folks that don't travel would never know.:s0032:

And with a much lower sales price elsewhere, a feller can do a lot of sampling.:D

Last Edited:
Thanks for providing these lists.

I gotta say though, it's still completely weird that Oregon keeps such a strangle hold on booze sales. Only certain products can be sold here, and you can still only buy retail on certain days and certain times, and only in certain places.

I've been elsewhere where the states are more concerned with revenue than control, and the array of products is absolutely unbelievable. It's a great big world out there, spiritually, (pun intended), and folks that don't travel would never know.:s0032:
Yea it's all relative I agree. I was in a little shop in CA and alcohol was double what I paid in OR and then there was 9% tax on top of that (can't remember for sure, maybe wrong about that tax part). It seems to me that Liquor in OR is pretty much the same price it was when gas was 85 cents per gallon. So maybe good sides to it also?

All I know is that Jameson whiskey 1.75l size is on sale and I've been itching to make some more homeade Irish cream. Been tweaking the recipe over the last 5 or so batches and I think I've got it dialed in to be "Bailey's with a Kick" : )

The "best of the best" has not been announced - comes halfway thru lent, so all of those giving up drinking (whiskey) might want to find an alternative.

Gold medals are kinda like 2nd place. Master is best in class. There can be multiple gold medal winners.
Value is what we are after tho.

Lidl's Queen Margot Named World's Best Scotch - World's Best Scotch Costs Less Than $18

Aldi's Highland Black Scotch Whisky and Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky took home gold medals at the 2018 Spirits Business Scotch Whisky Masters

Re: Aldi's "three gold medals awarded in the category: Highland Black 8yo, Chivas Regal 12yo and Scots Gold 12yo. "

upload_2019-3-6_9-37-46.png

Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky
upload_2019-3-6_10-2-3.png

The Glen Marnoch Islay's gold medal was in the No Age Statement Islay category, but didn't actually bag the top prize (that went to Bunnahabhain's Cruach Mhona, which got a 'Master' award).

Where is the nearest Aldi's? I know of one near Niagara Falls.

--- --- --- ---

Lidl's Queen Margot, an eight-year blended Scotch whisky, took home a category win for "Scotch Blended 12 Years & Under."

@tac, can you check out the Lidl's for us? As it is not available cross the pond.
Lidl in the UK, Queen Margot retails for £13.49.

£13 Lidl whiskey wins 'Best Scotch Whisky' at the World Whiskies Awards

upload_2019-3-6_9-24-49.png

Kind of late to the party but I love whiskey so thought I'd chime in. For mixed drinks I'd say get anything cheap. Flavor will be drowned out anyways.
I must digress!

I remember having a 7&7 at a party years ago and liking it, so for a camping trip last year, I bought a bottle of Seagrams 7 and some 7up.

Had a few glasses while sitting at the campfire and got nice and toasty. Didn't go overboard, but definitely feeling it.

Woke up the next morning with the worst hangover I've ever had in my life; I thought for a moment that someone had shot me in the head with a 9mm while I slept...

Poured the rest out.

Tried it again a few months later with Jameson's and no ill effects.

There is a reason that Seagrams is $15 for a gallon, or whatever... :p

I bet none of you have tried 'Adfail hen' - toted as a 'Sparkling Welsh Whiskey Liqueur with a hint of the Sea and Kelp. Triple-aged in our unique creosote-steeped plywood boxes for a total of three weeks and then ready for your enjoyment. 140% Proof - may be substituted for Nitro where permitted.'

Just kidding ya. :)

I bet none of you have tried 'Adfail hen' - toted as a 'Sparkling Welsh Whiskey Liqueur with a hint of the Sea and Kelp. Triple-aged in our unique creosote-steeped plywood boxes for a total of three weeks and then ready for your enjoyment. 140% Proof - may be substituted for Nitro where permitted.'

Just kidding ya. :)

We call that 'shine round these parts. Some, like my grandfather, ran liquor during the era of prohibition. My grandmother would bottle up the booze - from what ever containers were used to get the elixer to Chicago, into small bottles. The containers, would be passed back and forth thru a window on the 2nd or 3rd floor, homes being close together. Cut down on prying eyes. Secrets have gone to the grave. Could that have been a part of Al Capone's organization ... we'll never know.

As that side of my family is Scots-Irish, some were also in the 'shine business.

And if you're ever lucky enough to get your paws on some pappy van winkle, count your blessings, kiss your mama and buy a damn lottery ticket cause that is the best juice that has ever blessed this world.

I'd like to find out for myself, but a buddy got ahold of a bottle of RVW and said it tasted like crap. He said it's all hype and marketing with them.:s0092:

Safeway has a bourbon called Samual Grant that's $20 (on "sale" which it always is) for a 1.75L glass bottle. It fairs favorable to Evan Williams IMO. But I'm pretty new to bourbons and whiskey. I wonder what others think of these two brands?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top