JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There's a setup that Rochester Inst of Technology set up for their dorms that I think could be used for public and private schools... but with some changes of my own...

Bulletproof glass facade, main entrance of 3 pairs of doors on the front, a booth in the middle of the next entrance wall, also bulletproofed; 2 pairs of doors on either sides, with metal detectors, and compact X-ray machines for the security officers to check bags through... only need 3 officers, 1 of whom could be armed and the other two aren't.. at each main entrance of a school building, so 2 sets, 6 officers, 2 armed and 4 unarmed, 4 X ray machines, 4 metal detectors, completely bullet proof security booth and entrances; emergency exits are one way opening (from inside), and fire faculty/staff that props them open... maybe alarm them like they do for fire exits in businesses?

We have a similar setup for sporting events, fairs, music festivals, airports, Capitol buildings, and certain Federal offices (IRS for example); why shouldn't schools be just as difficult to invade?

Hate to say it, because it's a slippery slope, but using AI to monitor access to school property would be effective. Have students and staff pictures loaded as authorized entrants, have cameras at access points. Access points could either be open entry ways that AI could alert on-site security to if violated, or have access control.

Also, have AI monitor social media for bullying or mental illness and restrict access based on any suspicious behavior.

Now, about that slippery slope, I'm sure AI could be used to target moderate or right of center students.

Anyways, the Chinese use AI access control to great success.

I think the libtards don't care about the kids, they just welcome the opportunity to scream for more gun control.

I like your suggestion about using AI to monitor for bullying. I don't understand why teachers and especially principals aren't personally liable for unchecked bullying that goes on in schools. Maybe the answer is my first sentence.

I like the idea of hardening schools...as well as a multi layered system of defense.
However if AI were to be involved...I would probably quit my job as Dean of Students.
Andy

Last Edited:
When I was in grade school (single story school) every classroom had a door with a panic bar that led to the exterior incase of fire. Whole school could evacuate the building within a minute or so when the fire drill alarm would go off.
Obviously in the event of an active shooter they wouldn't make you gather once outside like they would with a fire drill.
Seems like another inexpensive option to huddling in a corner of a classroom.

I think they don't care about the kids,
Fixed, and it's been made abundantly clear when one party continually reject any and all suggestions to make schools safer if they don't involve banning guns. :rolleyes: in fact... I've been tempted to point out to the youngsters that keep saying that this Party cares for them.... I want to say this to them..

"The only times they care about you young'uns are before you're born, and after you're dead from school shooters so that they can use your numbers/you as a statistic to push for more gun control and not to fortify your schools, or to keep you secure".

... why shouldn't schools be just as difficult to invade?
Or more difficult.

But something I've wondered in the past, though not sure of logistics ... why not use military in last ~6 months of service? Seems to me that would be a way to not place burden of cost for security on the school, district, city, state whatever since they already on fed gov payroll. Also would be pretty easy assignment right?

I don't know, just a thought.

Or more difficult.

But something I've wondered in the past, though not sure of logistics ... why not use military in last ~6 months of service? Seems to me that would be a way to not place burden of cost for security on the school, district, city, state whatever since they already on fed gov payroll. Also would be pretty easy assignment right?

I don't know, just a thought.
That would be a no for me.
I have been to places where the military acts as a "police" or "Security" force....it ain't pretty.
Plus the Posse Commitatus Act may say that this can't be done.

In any event US Troops acting against US citizens ( even criminals ) has me a bit leery....
If it can be done to one person or even one group...what is to stop it from happening to anyone...?
Andy

Something else to consider here....

Just how do we want our schools to look...?
Fences , "Bullet proof" glass , metal detectors , razor wire , armed guards , etc...
All can make a building or area more secure...all can also make that same building or area look like a prison.

Like it or not...
How a place looks will affect how people perceive it ...as well as affecting the people who work or live in it.
So...
If a place looks like a prison...then a prison mentality may also develop.

In any event...
Please don't read the above as a negative or that I don't want secure and safe schools...
'Cause I do ...after all I do work in one.
The above is simply something to consider.
Andy

Fences , "Bullet proof" glass , metal detectors , razor wire , armed guards , etc...
All can make a building or area more secure...all can also make that same building or area look like a prison.

Like it or not...
How a place looks will affect how people perceive it ...as well as affecting the people who work or live in it.
So...

In any event...
Please don't read the above as a negative or that I don't want secure and safe schools...
Andy
I agree on the prison look. I went to Junior High (Middle School in later jargon, 7th to 9th grade) in a 1930's WPA building with three floors, poured concrete (probably rebar-reinforced) that looked like a fortification. The windows were large, but multi-paned, so it looked like they were barred. The overall feel was oppressive.

On the other hand, most of the other schools were single-story, with flat roofs and every room having windows that were large, single panes. They were the complete opposite of the Jr. High. All these were built in the early 1950's.

Sometime around the 1960's, a new fad in school buildings involved "campus" design, where buildings were not always connected. I think it originated in California, since the Oregon buildings of this style often had covered walkways between building to cope with the rain, unlike California. These designs would be impossible to secure, but we didn't have school shooters then.

Anyway, my point is that school building design is driven by architects that want to sell style, and bought by School Boards that want to keep up with the current fad. Practicality is not normally a factor.

Just something similar to this, add to the 2 main entrances. The central office structure would be armored, as are the glass doors, 2 pairs each side on the interior of the lobby/threshold. The exterior would have 3 pairs of doors but be standardized. The walls flanking the doorways would be armored. There would be 2 small Xray machines in the adjacent hallways, with a metal detector hoop (showm cut down here). In this concept, the security personnel doesn't need to be in the hallway except the one dude manning the metal detectors, but the dude can be on the inside until needed (detector goes off). This setup could be added to most any modern building design. It is a mix of the movie theater ticket booth/security booth and the TSA checkpoints found in airports and subways and train stations.

DSCF6523.JPG

Like it or not...
So...

In any event...
Andy
I read the last paragraph and realize that you are posing it as, "simply something to consider." But I gotta say I will just never understand folks with this perspective.

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that having a bunch of dead kids and administrators is a better/preferred option than dealing with the appearance of security features.

To that end, I think we ABSOLUTELY have the technology/ability where we can blend the security features in so that it doesn't have anywhere near the full blown "prison" look. That to me is just the left being as hyperbolic and overly dramatic as they always are in order to push their agenda.

Most of these things...if not all...are also already apart of our daily lives. We see bullet proof glass protecting our banks, check cashing places, convenience stores, etc. You can't get into a baseball game, concert, Disneyland, etc., without having to go through metal detectors, have your bags searched, etc. And there are armed guards protecting EVERY single important human being from our politicians, to entertainers, to heads of corporations, etc. Further, nobody even thinks twice at this point when they see armed police officers walking around doing their jobs.

I refuse to believe that any of this is a) actually that traumatic and b) that it is MORE traumatic than kids living day to day, KNOWING their schools currently have zero protection, and that they are absolute sitting ducks if a nut job shows up on campus with the intent to do them harm.

Exactly @L84Cabo . The design layout I posted, other than the X ray machines and metal detectors, are found at the Rochester Institute of Technology's Residence Hall A's main entrance from the drive loop/parking lots. Edit I lived there, and was a student from fall 2002 to winter 2003 and then fall 2005 to spring 2007. The only change between then was adding key card entrance for only students and staff.

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that having a bunch of dead kids and administrators is a better/preferred option than dealing with the appearance of security features.
That is not what I want.

I was pointing that appearances can and will influence thinking.
Not that I wanted to do nothing to strengthen school defense or security.
Nor am I against the idea of the school security / defense.

I totally agree with your comments on "blending" security so it doesn't have that full blown prison look
That mix of security and a more inviting look , can be done...getting folks to do so or put up the money to make that happen is another matter.

If I miss read you and your post....then I apologize.
Just wanted to make myself clear.
Andy

Last Edited:
Sometime around the 1960's, a new fad in school buildings involved "campus" design, where buildings were not always connected. I think it originated in California, since the Oregon buildings of this style often had covered walkways between building to cope with the rain, unlike California. These designs would be impossible to secure, but we didn't have school shooters then.
This is how the school is where I work.
It is a PITA when thinking of ways to improve security.

Last year...we didn't get the bond passed to build a new , better designed , as in better for security* , school built.
* And better in other things as well....
Votes matter...as well as how measures are proposed and "sold" , so to speak to voters.

In any event...My principal and I are almost always trying to think of ways to improve our school security , working with what we have....which ain't easy.
Andy

I don't like politicians, I don't much care for your kids either (I don't have any of my own, but if I did I would probably feel the same). rude, obnoxious, hard headed, can be applied to both groups, hell, humanity as a whole. I know it is likely some of you really like your kids, raising them probably results in some form of brain damage to parents. I suppose protecting them as well as politicians and powerful people are protected is warranted. Hardening schools seems among the best ideas out there, along with a few armed administrators and teachers. I went to parochial schools as a child, nuns still scare me, the thought of a nun with a gun is terrifying.

Some more things to consider....

Getting some folks to understand that their safety and security ultimately is up to themselves.
No matter how many walls , detectors , guards and what not...
Your safety and security can come down to something as simple* as situational awareness.
*Simple , but difficult to get many people to do and understand.

I am not saying that situational awareness is the end all be all here.
Just pointing out two things...
Many people don't have any or understand it's importance...Let alone practice it.
And to not totally rely on something / someone or some system outside of yourself for your safety and security.

And...
Just where is the money going to come to harden our schools ?
We do need to have better secured schools.
Getting people to vote for this...and provide the funding to do so is problematic.

Which goes back to the idea....
That you alone are the ultimate authority for your safety and security.
Andy

Last Edited:
Anything is better than nothing. Most schools already have a controlled entry point that you need to be buzzed in. If they simply added shatter resistant film to glass, it might buy enough time to effectively go into lockdown and prevent a lot of easy victims.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews