JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some more things to consider....

Getting some folks to understand that their safety and security ultimately is up to themselves.
No matter how many walls , detectors , guards and what not...
Your safety and security can come down to something as simple* as situational awareness.
*Simple , but difficult to get many people to do and understand.

I am not saying that situational awareness is the end all be all here.
Just pointing out two things...
Many people don't have any or understand it's importance...Let alone practice it.
And to not totally rely on something / someone or some system outside of yourself for your safety and security.

And...
Just where is the money going to come to harden our schools ?
We do need to have better secured schools.
Getting people to vote for this...and provide the funding to do so is problematic.

Which goes back to the idea....
That you alone are the ultimate authority for your safety and security.
Andy
When school budgets get distorted to where normal building maintenance is displaced into separate bond issues, voting for safety falls through the cracks. In some ways, a separate "School Safety" bond issue would have a better chance of passing, but politics works against such a solution. Those in control can't resist putting things in a bond issue to fund pet projects.

The full-blown prison look is used to protect government workers so why not little children?
Because government workers are valued more than children? :rolleyes:
I'd say it's because there are 100k+ schools in the US and the kind of money it would take to turn every one of them into a fortress doesn't exist nor does the political motivation to borrow it.

If it doesn't fit their agenda, and it doesn't get them votes or at least the failing to act doesn't cost them votes, it gets shelved.

That's why I said that it doesn't need to be all or nothing. There are cost effective ways to improve security. For gods sake, at least harden ground level glass. How much is replacing a glass door with a steel door? How much is shatter resistant film?

BS

Our government wastes way more money than what would be needed to protect school children.
You said "full blown prison". There's a lot of schools. That's a lot of money.

You could certainly improve things substantially with what we gave to Ukraine or studying the mating habits of slugs or such nonsense.

Many school incidents are preceded by ominous social media posts or increasingly strange interactions with students and staff.
I think reevaluating what "rights" minors have in a public school setting should be in order.
I believe surveillance of social media posts, and possibly having AI based access controls to a campus could be more effective than hardening a facility.
Have AI scan students social media for apparent problems, automatically notify counselors, possibly security too. Have AI cameras that can detect unauthorized access and notify on-site security.

Personally, I don't think those on school property should have an expectation of anonymity or privacy.

1683315290809.png

Awwwww.......Come on Man.
The solution is......"MORE GUN LAWS".

Is that you Brandon?

1683315496702.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show