JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like the title says, which sights do you have on your carry gun?

I am looking to replace the stock glock (23 and 21) sights for some tritium night sights, and have been looking at TruGlo TFO's and XS Big Dots. I just want to see what you guys are using and or recommend, plus I'm curious in general.

Thanks!

This question comes up often, do some searches - here and on other gun forums. I am not a Glock guy but I would expect on the Glock forums there are hundreds of posts on just this question. At the very least that will help you come up with the right questions for your needs.

Couple things I see regularly -
1 - Age - what a young person needs are different than those who are middle age are different than old.
2 - I suggest that if you are going with a color sight (flo orange, flo red etc) - get a "toy" gun & some paint - Testors or Sights paint - and try combinations before you modify your carry gun. I found Testors Flo-Red with Black rear worked for me.
3 - Every other post on FO is that they break - I like the bright front sights with FO - I liked the Green better.
4 - Don't forget about gold - as in gold. Does a great job reflecting even a little light, can be easy to pick up.
5 - Half the posts on Tritium and other glow sights say they are bad / half say they are better than swiss cheese
6 - Low profile holographic or red dot sights are an option
7 - Will you have a sight assist system? ie laser - if so, make sure it works with your choice in sights

I have XS on my daily carry. Which makes it the best choice for you ;-)
I also had these installed my my local gun smith, because.

This guy is on NWFA - he is an internet gun expert -
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYankeeMarshal/search?query=sights

Either Trijicon, Tru Glo or Ameriglo 3- dot night sights. I must confess that is all I have trained with or used day or night. I like the night sights with the white ring around them since it they work as standard 3-dot in the day time.

I tried a set of the Ameriglo I-Dot sights and returned them the same day for the standard Ameriglo 3-dot night sights. I just didn't like the I-Dot concept at all. I'm in my early 40's and my vision is getting a bit worse so I am totally good with the 3-dots.

File them off. Why risk them getting caught on something when you need to draw? And, since most self-defense encounters happen within 10 feet, do you really need sights to hit your target?

I only have one gun with night sights. I am not sure what brand as they were on it when I got the gun. It has very bright front green and dimmer rear red/orange which for me is easier to pick up then all green.

My M&P VTAC 9 came with fiber optics stacked on Trijicon night sights. They take a bit to get used to but, work as designed. I blacked out the rear sight on my other pistols and only used the front sight without issue. I've heard the night sight argument that goes something like "If you are in a situation where you cant see your sights; you probably cant identify your target either" That's where lights come in. With a light on your pistol you would probably be fine with standard sights.

On my Sig 938 I have a TruGlo TFO on the front and the stock tritium night sights on the rear.
I like the TFO system as it gives you the best of both worlds.

Crimson trace lazer grips on my glocks, plus trijicon nightsights on the bedside gun with streamlight.
Old eyes need to point and shoot with the red laser pointer. Practice practice practice.

I have :

XS on my S&W M&P 340 with no rear sight
Trijcon on my S&W 3913
Meprolight S&W 627PC

The two tritium sights are over 5 years old now and will need to be replaced soon. All three strike me as pretty much the same when at the range. I think the bigger XS sight I can point on target quicker, but then that is at close distance only. With my aging eyes I do prefer the larger XS sight these days. I think it comes down to the distance you think you might need to be shooting in dim light, and are you going to shoot if it is so dim you cannot ID the target 100%.

10-8 plain U notch rear and an X/S "regular" dot for the front. ( which still has a bigger white surround on the tritium than most frontsights ). I also had a set of the TFO sights and they were very good indeed.

File them off. Why risk them getting caught on something when you need to draw? And, since most self-defense encounters happen within 10 feet, do you really need sights to hit your target?

Some of us like to practice shooting at pieces of paper for fun on those irritating occasions when we run out of real people to shoot at....

AmeriGlo iDot's. I like these because they're durable (both front and back are metal) and the dot on the front sight is a big dot with a tritium vile in the middle of it. Good visibility in high / low light.

Ameriglo_I-Dot_Pro.jpg

My M&P VTAC 9 came with fiber optics stacked on Trijicon night sights. They take a bit to get used to but, work as designed. I blacked out the rear sight on my other pistols and only used the front sight without issue. I've heard the night sight argument that goes something like "If you are in a situation where you cant see your sights; you probably cant identify your target either" That's where lights come in. With a light on your pistol you would probably be fine with standard sights.

Weapon mounted lights aren't ideal, as you sweep anything you identify; an offhand flashlight is preferred.

Ameriglo_I-Dot_Pro.jpg

I ran the tru glos on an XD and loved them. I have also run diamond speed sights on an XDs and really liked them. Now that I am carrying a 1911 I'm running heinie night sights. I really like the 2 dot system.
Here is a picture of the diamond speed sights, I believe they are available for glocks.

64745267-7071-46AD-94C1-721132816C2D-1368-000000A319E8EBC0_zpsec9f6bd7.jpg 57E6E6DA-5F80-4C19-8399-99968F3E7140-1368-000000A3225670A4_zps5dd38271.jpg 6C33ECB1-654D-49C0-B382-7BFC843D567E-1499-000000B63B3A24D3_zpsb538761b.jpg

I have the factory night sites on both my g23 and my p238. They seem very similar, and work well for me. I tried shooting a friend g19 with the big dot sights, and they did not fit well with me. Only the front dot had tritium in it, and in the night there was no way of getting a real sight picture.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top