JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What rifle, besides Tikka, would you pick?

• Winchester model 70

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Remington 700

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Savage: Any savage

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Bergara

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Kimber montana

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Ruger m77

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Ruger American

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Sako

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
There are only two on that list I have not shot. The Bergera and the Kimber.

From experience. I can say they are all pretty good. Just depends on what features or level of workmanship you are looking for.

I've owned and shot sub minute with Remington 700s, various savages, Rugers, and Winchester's.

I think those that lean to a certain rifle, just have no experiences with the others. There is nothing wrong with that ideology as if you get it right the first time, why talk poorly about the rifle that did you right. Talking poorly about guns you have no time behind or have actually shot, seems to be common on the inter webs.

What, no multiple choice?

I Gotta go with Ruger M77 first, only because they are a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to get then a good Pre 64 Winny M-70!
Savage are shootas, no doubts, but they are ugly, and Remington hadnt built a good rifle in years now! If money was no object, Sako would be my first choice, and if Howa would build nicer looking and fitting rifles I would have some! They are all good choices really, though I havent experienced a Bergera or a Ruger American yet, so I cannot comment on them!

Junk IMHO couldn't get me to buy one and if you gave it to me I'd say thanks and sell it :D
I had high hopes for them when they came out, but im glad I waited, every one I know that has gotten one seems to sell them off pretty quickly! Another one I thought would be the schiznit was the S&W Icon, but it fizzled and ended up being under developed and Q.C sucked! One I would jump on is the Thompson (Dont remember which model) that is a licenced copy of a SIG SAUER!

I had high hopes for them when they came out, but im glad I waited, every one I know that has gotten one seems to sell them off pretty quickly! Another one I thought would be the schiznit was the S&W Icon, but it fizzled and ended up being under developed and Q.C sucked! One I would jump on is the Thompson (Dont remember which model) that is a licenced copy of a SIG SAUER!

I had high hopes for mine as well but after two range trips it had to go. :(

The Thompson I was referring to is the Venture, other then the el-chep-o stock, its a really slick rifle and from what I have seen, it's pretty darn accurate!
Edit; looks like the upscale Icon is available in nice laminate and Hardwood as well, and stainless! Might have to pick one up and see how it runs!

The Smith & Wesson is/was the ibolt, and I see they are still making them, but no idea if they are any better then what I saw when they came out!

Last Edited:
Here's an observation: savages are clearly in the lead by a solid margin, yet nobody seems interested in buying them from the classifieds. They just sit and sit and sit

That could be said about more than just Savages. I already have so many. Those that like them seem to have more than 1 already, and there are those that absolutely hate them and wouldn't even take one for free. If I competed, there is a 12FV in 6.5 CM on there that would be tempting and is competition ready, but I would just as likely get a 116 and customize it with a 26" bull barrel in maybe a 6.5 and fully adjustable stock, along with whatever else I had a preference for. Now, I just hunt and plink.

On the other hand, there is plenty to like with the other choices, but I don't have experience with most of them. I wouldn't turn one away, though!

Took an antelope with a Ruger American 30-06 at 300 yards. Shot regular Corelok with it 1.5" groups. Gun felt solid. Stocks are cheap obviously.

Shot a 308 Ruger American Predator to 1000 using handloads. Sub minute at 100 yards. Gun was solid. Bolt ran smooth. Stocks are cheap.

Shot a Remington 783 243 with hand loads to sub minute at 100 yards. Took a few yotes with it. This one I got cheap. Like $120 or so. Felt inexpensive, but shot very well.

Shot a Remington 700 308 to 1400 using Hornady factory ammo. Sub minute at 100 with most good factory ammo. Solid gun. Bull barrels are heavy though!

Shot Remington 700 in 223 to sub minute accuracy well past 500 using factory and hand loaded ammunition. Took lots of coyotes with it as well. Bull barrel heavy gun. Shot just about everything amazingly.

Regularly shoot a Ruger Ranch 556 to 600 yards. Sub minute at 100 with factory and Can't get it to shoot heavy buckets all that well. The lighter side or common stuff does very well. Only gun that has a dramatic point of impact shift with my YHM Turbo. Like 2.5"s low.

Shot Tikka 6.5 to 1000. Sub at 100. All using factory Hornady ammo. Friends gun. Very nice, fit and finish are obviously better than most. Shot well. Muzzle brake he had on it made it stupid easy to track shots at 1000.

Shot Tikka 308. Sub at 100 with hand loaded ammo. Same friend as above. Almost the same gun as above.

Shot Savage 110 338 to 1000. 1.5 moa at 100 oddly enough. Sub at 200. Weird one. Factory ammo only. Friends gun. Was a blast. Heavy gun though IMHO.

Shot and owned a few Axis models in various calibers. Most shot sub minute with Can't complain about any of them. Maybe mag capacity. Internal mags usually only held 3 extra rounds. Great for hunting, not for range time.

Had two Ruger 77s. One scout in 308, wouldn't shoot anything well enough, 155s did the best at close to a minute at 100. The other was an older 30-06. Didn't test it too much. Fit and finish on both were very nice.

Winchester 70 in 223wsm. Shot well. Finish was okay. Got out of caliber. Shot sub minute with ease, then again most bullets left the barrel at 3200 or faster!

Point being, lots discount guns for inexpensive features, however that doesn't mean they are bad guns. Most guns out there these days shoot as good as the others, even if they have a price tag that is half of the others.

I'm a little different than most. Yes I own some nice high end guns. But I tend to like features that fit me more than higher end stuff. So if a gun has certain features, I'll go for it even if that's not what the internet says I should do. If Tikka made a rifle with the set list of features, I'd likely join the club, so far they haven't caught up to the Americans flavor choices in my opinion.

My favorite hunting rifle is a Sako 7 mm. My son has a Tikka .308. I also own and have owned several different CZ models. Current is a CZ .308. All are solid and accurate rifles. For the money, I would be hard pressed to find anything better than Tikka or CZ.

Weatherby Vanguard
Browning BAR
Kleingunther

Because you didn't have them on your list.

Used 70s vintage Remington 700BDL because of the beauty, quality checkering, and great triggers.

Original Ruger 77 because of the sturdy bolt lockup. Good finish, quality machining.

Other that that I haven't looked at new rifles in a long time. The last time I was in the market for a new hunting rifle, Savage made a rifle that looked like an unfinished 2x4 with a trigger.... now everybody loves Savage.

There are only two on that list I have not shot. The Bergera and the Kimber.

From experience. I can say they are all pretty good. Just depends on what features or level of workmanship you are looking for.

I've owned and shot sub minute with Remington 700s, various savages, Rugers, and Winchester's.

I think those that lean to a certain rifle, just have no experiences with the others. There is nothing wrong with that ideology as if you get it right the first time, why talk poorly about the rifle that did you right. Talking poorly about guns you have no time behind or have actually shot, seems to be common on the inter webs.

Or you've been there and done that with all of them and have settled on what you like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top