JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What rifle, besides Tikka, would you pick?

• Winchester model 70

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Remington 700

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Savage: Any savage

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Bergara

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Kimber montana

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Ruger m77

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Ruger American

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Sako

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
They are very good rifles.
Take a look at the Leupold VX3i line of scopes as well.

I did. I picked up the Nikon Balck 4-16 x 50 MOA for $299! About $200 less than Leopold. I already have a Nikon Black 4x16 x 50 MilDot on a Vanguard 308 and it is a champ! With non-premium ammo shoots inside 1minute at 200 yards. Same with a Vanguard 270, but with premium ammo shoots about 1/2 minute at 200 yards. Unbelievable.

More related to Mauser than 1903, although they all have some Mauser elements.
Ummmmm...no.

Cone breech with corresponding extractor mortise, replaceable firing pin tip, same type bolt sleeve and sleeve lock, same bolt cam angle as the 1903.

nJj4z7Ql.jpg

XFDo3HIl.jpg

dKdBxBkl.jpg

3tQTKjRl.jpg

Even the bolt sleeve threads are the same.

bzvNajKl.jpg

Hope that helps. :)

Other than the stock, I really like my Remington 700 VTR. I really need to replace that stock, but then back to sighting it in again. It just seems to fit me and the bolt runs like a good bolt should.

I did not read all 5 pages but I am sad if no one voted in a CZ 550! I am very partial to CZ 550s for everything they represent: accurate, CRF, and craftmanship (no plastic).

As for the list, I vote Kimber Montana (light and accurate) and then Ruger m77 (classic style) - both have CRF!!!

There are alot of choices out in the market place, it depends on what you want; value, classic, accuracy, smoothness, finish, stocktype and how deep your pockets are.
I like the newer model 70's, they are a classic. The Remingtons are not doing well except the LR models. The Savage TH are the best bang for the buck, accurate, good trigger and bolt. Sako and Tikka are light and very accurate. Rugers are also very accurate, have good triggers, but crappy bolts.
I hunt with a winchester XPR in .30-06, it's a remake of a browning A-bolt. I get 1/2" groups and weighs in at about 7lbs. My target rifle is a Springfield Armory M1A.

Man, marketing has sure influenced folks. I got out some ballistics tables, showed my buddy how great the .270 would be, especially for a new shooter. He comes back with wanting the Tikka, but in .270WSM. :confused:

I didn't read the whole thread but will vote for Browning.
So here is the process I went through, I'm left handed so wanted that configuration, I wanted 300 Win Mag and a 26" barrel. Next I wanted bued steel and a Walnut stock. The Browning Hunter is the only rifle I found that tic'ed all the boxes for me. So rather than "settle for" I decided to get exactly what I wanted.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads