JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What rifle, besides Tikka, would you pick?

• Winchester model 70

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Remington 700

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Savage: Any savage

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Bergara

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Kimber montana

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Ruger m77

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Ruger American

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Sako

Votes: 17 16.0%

• Total voters
"Used 70s vintage Remington 700BDL because of the beauty, quality checkering, and great triggers."

THIS!

And one might consider the overwhelming preponderance of gun builders that prefer to work with this action.

I voted Bergara because that's what I bought after I sold my Tikkas.
I figured you were the first one to vote bergara, even though you didnt comment. Trust me, ive been eyeballing the bergara for a while now. Ive been wanting to try their plain jane b14 hunter model. Weighs in at 7 pounds and is supposed to shoot pretty dang good too. They are aesthetically pleasing as well..

Only one vote? That's wrong right there.

My favs, Pre- 1998 Ruger MK ll with Tubbs light firing pin/spring Timber trigger.
Rem 700 ADL action trued by Shilen/ barreled by Shilen bedded by Lone Wolf with carbon fiber V-block in their 20oz. Stock.
Browning older BBR; smoothest action ever made. Tilt the rifle/bolt slides home.
I'm not biased at ALL!!!

Edit: there is a nice tight BBR at NWArmory for $500 with rings in 30-06. Tight,smooth.

Last Edited:
Ruger M77 is nice. While mine is being replaced by a zastava, I enjoyed it. If you're familiar with how a mauser action and field strip goes it'll be like meeting an old friend's grandchildren.

I had a chance to shoot my Bergara B-14 HMR today. I'll say this:

I like the AICS magazine WAY more than Tikka
I like the stock WAY more than Tikka
The action is as smooth as a Tikka, and neither are "butter".
It is AT LEAST as accurate as a Tikka.

That being said, I think they are both great rifles and shoot really well. I don't think that Tikkas are the be all/end all "best" rifle nor do I feel that way about Bergara. Honestly I think there are LOTS of good shooting rifles and plenty that would shoot just as well.

Pick a caliber, go do some hands-on rifle shopping and see what you like best! In the sub $1000 range you have lots of options. :)

3 shot group at 300 yards:

5593FCAA-D364-4C37-96CD-9CD27200FE17.jpeg

I figured you were the first one to vote bergara, even though you didnt comment. Trust me, ive been eyeballing the bergara for a while now. Ive been wanting to try their plain jane b14 hunter model. Weighs in at 7 pounds and is supposed to shoot pretty dang good too. They are aesthetically pleasing as well..

If they didn't stamp their name all over it, I might be convinced.

A personality.
Good Choice!:p
J/K

Bergera are well known for barrel making, so it stands for reason their rifles would be pretty good!
I still rock my Ruger M-77 Alaskan even though it isn't the newest, lightest, super ultra magnum crazy!
Or, my Ruger Hawk Eye Guide, ether one gets it done every time I need!

Then there is my Tikka, That rifle has no equal, and they no longer import them to the states, so if I wanted another one in a different flavor, im S.O.L!:eek:

That being said, I think they are both great rifles and shoot really well. I don't think that Tikkas are the be all/end all "best" rifle nor do I feel that way about Bergara. Honestly I think there are LOTS of good shooting rifles and plenty that would shoot just as well.

Pick a caliber, go do some hands-on rifle shopping and see what you like best! In the sub $1000 range you have lots of options. :)

View attachment 611745
Looks great buddy. Thanks for sharing. Was that with some of the factory American gunner we bought the other day? I need to run down there and pick up some more of that stuff. My sako long range loves it..

View attachment 611745

I dont know man, my tikka bolts are buttery smooth. However, i polish them out to be that way. The one i got from you was a little gritty, but not anymore. Ha ha

Savage is always an option.
It's kinda a bad option if you value resale over functionality but easy barrel swaps and an ok trigger along with some aftermarket support makes it a viable option.

Bergara makes nice rifles with a 700 footprint so lots of options but a bit more limited if you burn barrels, the coned breech face and lack of prefits forces you to go through Bergara(which has temporarily suspended rebarrels) or through a smith.

I won't buy a 700 now because of their ownership and recent decisions.

Sako makes good stuff.
I'd love to get a TRG 22 or 42 dome day.

Currently I have a ruger m77 mk2, a winchester 70, a kimber hunter, a howa 1500, and have had 2 remingtonm 700's in the last year.
I also have 2 bergara's and they will forever be my favorite rifles for hunting and long range shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top