JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never go anywhere without decent footwear on my feet.

The exceptions; weddings and funerals.
Let's clog, brother!

giphy.gif

Footwear in the US would be (and is) required for me, but on a deserted island with no concrete I would be fine bare foot. 3rd world countries and the people in them go bare foot all the time - spent a good amount of years outside the US and was barefoot a goot amount of time.

I would take:

Fishing Rod
Knife
Hand Saw
Weed(to trade with the locals if the island has any,use to make unpleasant meals more tolerable,or to deal with pain from possible injuries)

I feel with what survival skills I have that's all I could possibly need,unless this island lacks trees.

Footwear in the US would be (and is) required for me, but on a deserted island with no concrete I would be fine bare foot. 3rd world countries and the people in them go bare foot all the time - spent a good amount of years outside the US and was barefoot a goot amount of time.
Sand gets very hot too. And there are rocks and other debris. Not all islands are sandy beaches.

Well if my plane crashed, I would be wearing shoes. I can make a fire. I can build a shelter out of natural plant life. So I will take the knife, hope it is big enough. A pot to boil water and cook. The fishing pole to catch dinner. And the weed so I can plant the seeds and grow a huge amount and bring it back to Oregon to sell when I get rescued and then I will be rich. :rolleyes:

:s0094:
Weed, matches, knife, gun.
The weed can be used to heal open wounds.

Heal or just make you forget they are there for a while? I would not want the weed to heal. Just to become a stoned fisherman with a rifle and the rifle is only as Certaindeaf said to keep intruders off my beach.

I would just fire warning shots at any passing boats or planes and make a big "no trespassing" Sign out of logs. MY ISLAND...

Heal or just make you forget they are there for a while? I would not want the weed to heal. Just to become a stoned fisherman with a rifle and the rifle is only as Certaindeaf said to keep intruders off my beach.

I would just fire warning shots at any passing boats or planes and make a big "no trespassing" Sign out of logs. MY ISLAND...
If I had two rifles and two volleyballs I'd have a freakin army! best beach ever

Well if my plane crashed, I would be wearing shoes. I can make a fire. I can build a shelter out of natural plant life. So I will take the knife, hope it is big enough. A pot to boil water and cook. The fishing pole to catch dinner. And the weed so I can plant the seeds and grow a huge amount and bring it back to Oregon to sell when I get rescued and then I will be rich. :rolleyes:

you forgot the rest of the story: buy the island, move back and build a proper dwelling.:D

Knife (anyone who doesn't choose this is a moron)
Pot (boil water, cook food)
First Aid Kit
Vitamins
Tent

Some of you are saying the tarp or the insect repellent...but tents are great to keep the bugs, sun and water off your head. I get that you can make a shelter with a knife...but only a house really beats a good tent. It was hard to turn down the mirror (signal)...but the vitamins reminded me of something Bear Grylls stated.

On one of Bear Grylls' "castaway" episodes, he describes how you have a finite window when you can self rescue...if you decide to stay in a place that has limited resources, you'll slowly starve. Your energy will deplete, you will lose focus and become malnourished...

On the flip side, if you decide to self-rescue and do so at the wrong time (poor weather, low tide) or without the proper provisions and preparations then chances are you will became shark bait.

Vitamins will prolong this decision period so that you can forage long-term survival preparations to gain the calories you loose and keep your energy high enough to make sound decisions to either leave or stay.

*edit*

Is there a specific reason why you guys chose the water purifier? Does that specific purifier purify salt water?

Last Edited:
Knife (anyone who doesn't choose this is a moron)
Pot (boil water, cook food)
First Aid Kit
Vitamins
Tent

Some of you are saying the tarp or the insect repellent...but tents are great to keep the bugs, sun and water off your head. I get that you can make a shelter with a knife...but only a house really beats a good tent. It was hard to turn down the mirror (signal)...but the vitamins reminded me of something Bear Grylls stated.

On one of Bear Grylls' "castaway" episodes, he describes how you have a finite window when you can self rescue...if you decide to stay in a place that has limited resources, you'll slowly starve. Your energy will deplete, you will lose focus and become malnourished...

On the flip side, if you decide to self-rescue and do so at the wrong time (poor weather, low tide) or without the proper provisions and preparations then chances are you will became shark bait.

Vitamins will prolong this decision period so that you can forage long-term survival preparations to gain the calories you loose and keep your energy high enough to make sound decisions to either leave or stay.

*edit*

Is there a specific reason why you guys chose the water purifier? Does that specific purifier purify salt water?
You listen to a hollywood giant and expect people to take what you say seriously?
He is told what to say by someone who has a house on PCH and swims in the ocean before breakfast.
And used to live in a hirise in Manhattan.
Yeah bear Grizle or whatever
You have got to be kidding me:rolleyes:

Vitamins might help long term with malnutrition, but if you go in a healthy adult, then I don't think they will help with "starving" short term if you can't find food in the first week or two and get weak. If you can find food, then you probably won't starve, but your diet may be deficient in some vitamins long term (as in months to years) - but then the vitamins will run out eventually.

In short, I don't think vitamins would have an impact on "self-rescue" as that usually occurs in the first few days to weeks, and diet impacts that more with the amount of energy than long term vitamin deficiency does. On an island you might eventually get old and have brittle bones or something like that due to a vitamin deficiency, but again, your vitamins will probably run out anyway and you will still have that problem.

A knife, handsaw, etc., will usually last longer and quite possibly be more important to your survival. As with anything, whether you can take 4 items or 10, you have to prioritize.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top