JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As for hunting, well I live on a mountain outside of Portland, and currently plenty of wildlife here. I can literally get meat with a well aimed rock.

View attachment 651599

I'm in something of the same boat. At the edge of the Portland metro area in the suburb/rural interface. Acre plus lots and a few hobby farms.

Rabbits and squirrels abound; plenty of small game to supplement the long term staples. And not that far away I could easily hunt upland birds and deer.

So... More than adequate quantities of 16 gage, .410 gage, 30-30 and 22LR ammunition are in my inventory as a matter of course.

As much as I detest the AR15. It is the best rifle ever made.
Historically, the M-1Garand would hold that title! No less then Gen. George S. Patton said so! ;)
Actually, if one were to take the total numbers of Kills to Shots fired ratio between the two weapons, the numbers alone would back the claims of the Garand! Second best would go ether to the Mosin or the Mauser 98!

Seems like most people that buy a gun get an itch...to buy more guns. Eventually we all have multiple.

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume a fairly bad SHTF scenario:
- Economic collapse a-la Great Depression
- You're out of work and about to be homeless
- You're not alone and have others to care for
- What you have with you needs to fit in the back of a pickup
- You need to plan for not having the cash to buy gas anymore (no mobility / extremely limited mobility)

You've already sold off most of the gun collection for the cash for necessities. But, which rifle(s) do you keep?

For me, I don't have the luxury of choice right now. So, it'd be the 10/22 that I've got built up and the precision .308 that's in the works, assuming I get it finished before the above.

Reasons are simple: I can pack thousands of rounds of .22lr in a small space. The .308 would be for hunting, though I don't currently hunt and have no illusions of suddenly being good at it. But, if you don't have the weapon, that makes things just that much harder. Likewise, ammo is aplenty for the .308 meaning I can get it now, stock some, and maybe even trade for it after the SHTF. And a final point, my wife handles both calibers with ease - so we are both very capable.

I'm curious what your choices are and why you would pick them?
For me, it's the AR and M1A. As far as selling guns for cash to get the necessities, during a depression that's not going to do much for you. Money, which is already basically worthless, will become nothing but fire starter. You need trading stock. Soap, TP, medicine, toothpaste, Spam etc.. Trust me on the soap, TP and toothpaste thing.

Best rifle ever made....Why the Kentucky Rifle of course...you know, the rifle that helped win our Revolution...and War of 1812....:D
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

I like your style. I'm in the market for a pistol caliber lever action, as it were. Still torn between .357 and .45LC though.
I am running a Henry BB in 45Colt and it's a blast to play with. Can get past 44Mag energy levels or down to less than 22 recoil with appropriate hand loads. That is Critical: HAND LOAD. If you don't/can't/won't then definitely go with .357. Be aware that most if not all 357/38 levers don't like 38. They're just a touch too short for the loading mechanism, so if you don't mind clearing the occasional FTF, it's cheap as he11 to shoot. For real work, assume it's a .357 and stock for such.

Is yours a flintlock or percussion? I'm assuming flintlock since you the mention Revolution and War of 1812, but know both were made.

That particular rifle is a J. Henry Trade rifle circa 1800 in .58 caliber....original flintlock.
It still goes out shooting at times , has won a few rifles matches for me and I even used it to take an elk a few years ago...:D
Andy

Historically, the M-1Garand would hold that title! No less then Gen. George S. Patton said so! ;)
Actually, if one were to take the total numbers of Kills to Shots fired ratio between the two weapons, the numbers alone would back the claims of the Garand! Second best would go ether to the Mosin or the Mauser 98!
I'm pretty much there with ya', but I'll take the M14.
Clips reload quicker and you don't have to deal with the classic *ting* of the clip flying out as the last round is shot....letting everyone within earshot know that your gun is empty. :eek:

Since I'm already very Mountain rural - 4 miles from the paved road and 15 miles from a town of 586 - my needs would be different from y'all's - I'll need to keep the flatlanders & livestock predators away from my ranch and put meat on the table. So I'd stick to my M1891 Mosin Nagant for my cartridge rifle - she's very accurate and reliable w great range. If you can see it you can hit it .... Ammo is cheap so affordable to stock pile and at about $300 off the rack you can afford one for each family member. - but I'd also keep my .50 cal flintlock Hawkens - she's as accurate as the marksman and has been m primary meat-on-the-table tool for 7 years now - I can and do cast my own rounds out of junk batteries and 2lbs of Powder lasts a long time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top