JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After watching the multitude of videos from the riots and the running and gunning going on, I want something short and handy, with lots of capacity, and lots of power, and semi-auto.

Thinking a braced AR pistol might be superior. Never used a laser on anything, but one might be handy for de-escalation.

Plus he can shoot the ramrod at assailants like in "Last of the Mohicans" - kidding, Andy had already thoroughly explained that this would be one of the last things a person would want to do with a black powder rifle.
I believe this happened in the Mountain Men also, Charlton just pulled it out and kept reloading.

I looked at PSA and was surprised they had 10.5" AR pistol kits still available at reasonable prices. Didn't pull the trigger since there are other guns I will likely never need to be bought as well.

If you are going to get a short barreled AR, get it in .300 BLK or 7.62x39, not 5.56

300 BLK is less blasty than 5.56, suppresses very well, and is a good choice if you reload and already have a stockpile of ammo, but 300 BLK ammo right now is even more scarce than 5.56 and even more ridiculously priced given the panic.

There is literally no practical reason to chose a short barrel 7.62x39 AR over a short barrel 5.56 AR. 7.62x39 ARs are notoriously less reliable, the mags are iffy in terms of reliability and availability, and choices for defensive ammo are not nearly as good as 5.56. There are only a few decent bolts for 7.62x39, most are shaved down 5.56 bolts which makes them prone to breakage. The best bolt for 7.62x39 is either the LMT bolt, which is $200 and not readily available, and the Young MFG bolt.

A short barrel 5.56 AR absolutely dunks on a short barrel X39 AR.

Just as an observation, in many countries an SBR 5.56 or similar small weapon has replaced the old traditional 9mm SMG for urban police and military use. Ammo weight isn't much different but obviously distance shooting and overall lethality is definitely increased.

As far as shooting cleaning rods out of the M16 and or AR15 series of rifles and carbines...
I have gotten a rabbit a time or three while firing a blank 5.56 round with a cleaning rod section down the bore...:D
* I do not recommend to do this as a regular practice...Just sayin' that I have done it and it worked ...then.
Andy

A short barrel 5.56 AR absolutely dunks on a short barrel X39 AR.

The main issue I was referring to is the fact that 5.56x45 looses a lot of velocity with a short barrel (so does 7.62x51), the shorter the barrel, the worse it is - .300 BLK and 7.62x39 do not. Most 5.56x45 ammo depends on velocity to be effective. If you are going to choose a short barreled AR, consider chamberings that are less reliant on velocity and/or don't lose as much velocity in a shorter barrel.

The main issue I was referring to is the fact that 5.56x45 looses a lot of velocity with a short barrel (so does 7.62x51), the shorter the barrel, the worse it is - .300 BLK and 7.62x39 do not. Most 5.56x45 ammo depends on velocity to be effective. If you are going to choose a short barreled AR, consider chamberings that are less reliant on velocity and/or don't lose as much velocity in a shorter barrel.

That's really only an issue for certain types of ammo. There are several 5.56 rounds that will reliably expand down to 1700 fps, that's way under what you'll get with common barrel lengths. You could probably hit that with a 7.5" barrel.

Groups in the military have been killing piles of dudes for more than a decade with 10.3" MK18s.

Out here in central Oregon, my 14.5" AR with a fiber optic LPVO is my go to, can effectively engage out to 500y (tested and verified). No need for batteries as long as I've got the power of the sun and if that goes away then you'll need a lot more than a rifle to survive.

My SBR Draco AKM. It's compact and has a folding wire stock, plus plenty of capacity and firepower, not to mention reliability. It'll fold up and fit in a pack easily.

Don't limit yourself. One gun may be perfect for one scenario. but not for everything. I'm 70 and disabled, and I'm staying put, unless the fire gets too close. So I've covered my bases, and will be able to choose the one best for the job at hand. The rest is the same for everyone. Water, food and shelter. Take care.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top