JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless it turns into Mad Max I'm happy with my Marlin 357 backed up by a normal capacity (11+) handgun. Sorry. . . I refuse to call normal capacity handguns "High Capacity".

If conditions were worse that general civil unrest I'd use my Mini-14, Good capacity 223 but looks generic and doesn't draw as much attention as my AR would.

My AR is a heavy barrel Olympic Match Colt so it's heavy and is better used as a longer range gun.

Also have a couple M1 Carbines as a light weight option.

Honestly, for just general civil unrest even a .22 or .22 mag rifle will be enough to keep the ANTIFA types at bay as they are cowards.

Just a minor disagreement re: "...doesn't draw as much attention as my AR would."

IMHO, suchly is similar in context to folks whom think racking a 12g will scamper off folks intent upon doing harm.

In other words, in times of unrest someone out and about carrying ANY long arm would be drawing attention upon themselves.

Regardless of what said longarm is. Shotgun, .22, deer rifle, scary black rifle.

Think of what you can positively ID from several hundred yards.

Then think wether or not you'd simply go "...oh no worries, they're just out for some squirrel or deer is all.".

So, one would be better off carrying whatever tool works best for whatever they're doing, not based upon a false supposition of what others may think the tool looks like.

Now, in "normalcy", I do agree. "Karen's" don't seem to liken wooded semi-auto long arms to scary black ones. However, I don't foresee "Karen's" being out and about in a time of unrest tho.

Plus, as seen in Wa state, legal wise cute wooded semi auto's are treated the same as scary black ones...

Carrying any long arm paints a target on your back, you are the FIRST threat to be delt with, and then the hoard moves on, generally also taking what you had in the process! The trick is to blend in, not stick out! Now, TEOTWAWKI, all bets are off, but general SHTF, you still need to be careful!

For the one family member the recoil is mostly for the handgun, but also for the rifle. I imagine that person could handle an AR in 5.56 for recoil, but the health issue has to do with muscle control/strength, so weight and balance are an issue too - the PS90 being a bullpup the balance is better for someone with muscle control issues.

I and the other member have no problem with recoil, but all three of us will have stamina issues. With 5 mags of ammo we get a good loadout of 250 rds for the rifle and 5 mags for the pistol ads another 120 rds - with much less weight than other gun/ammo options.

The only thing is that the PS90 is not a rifle that you want to be shooting a lot - it wears relatively quickly in several places (the stock wears out). Not going to be a big issue for us, but if a person is going to be shooting a thousand or more rounds a year, plan on having a spare stock on hand because eventually you will need to replace it. The Five Seven is made with stouter polymer, but if one has the factory adjustable sights they will probably want to replace them with better engineered sights as the factory sights have a reputation for coming loose.

Ammo cost is a concern, but I gathered 7K rounds before the ammo prices doubled. I have enough practice ammo (FMJ) to last, and more than enough self-defense ammo for SHTF given its role.

I like it and get it. I came close to going after my FFL to get access to 5.7 ammo at a decent price. Sad I prob only have 1500 rounds of it, most at $30-$35 per box of FN brand. So not shooting it much, it's more of a fun range toy for me (same for the 5.7). Good info on the stock for the 90 did not know that.

Ok, I will contribute the OP Question. For me, it's a SIG Rattler (5.5" 300BLK), Eotech two-dot site, w/Sig Can, with single point sling. Soft body armor and an IFAK. Loadout of mags is mostly 220gr Subs (lower dot on site), but two 110gr suppers for distance if needed. (top dot on site). Body armor also has two mags for my EDC G48. The Rattler with the 220gr Subs is very deadly for most urban distances and I can shoot with little concussion from inside my vehicle/building etc. Also, the can will allow me some anonymity to my location as it removes not just sound but most of the muzzle blast and flash.

IMG_0863 2.jpg

Currently, Shockwave with buckshot in the daily driver. Going to add a SIG 229 in .40

The thinking being a shotgun with buckshot might be useful if surrounded by a crowd, with the handgun being a backup.

Thinking about switching to my get home guns - a PS90 and a Five Seven.

The thinking for these is light weight, compact, low recoil for the amount of firepower they provide - four to five mags for the rifle would give me 200-250 rounds, 4-5 mags for the pistol another 100 rounds. Total over 300 rounds. The PS90 could be somewhat concealed under a long bulky coat, or carried in a backpack.

Once home on the mountain, heavier firepower would be available if expecting or encountering trouble - the PS90/Five Seven would be used while outside doing chores, then fight to cover inside the house where heavier firepower is stored.

I think that 5.7 combo is a great idea, especially if you're hoofing it home Tremendous firepower and very light weight. I would give strong consideration to carrying my 57 and Banshee for that reason alone.

I got tired of the bunker so I put another wheelbarrow on top of my existing tactical wheelbarrow, much like the hermit crab, and now can get about pretty good with the assistance of two ski poles and my arms poking out.
Brilliant idea! It protects you from sun, rain OR rocks and bottles. PLUS if you want to do a little broken window shopping, you have a convenient way to bring you newfound treasures home. Its this kind of outside the box thinking that makes America great!:s0155::D

Mighty interesting what I have read so far today, I agree with what ever gun you have on you at the time theory, and what ever it takes to get to safety. I not being in Portland feel safe with my 1911's or if really hot out, just a SW 66-3, either should be enough to fight my way back to a rifle. if I could hide a pistol caliber carbine, or rifle on me, I would, but I can't. and if I could hide one, it would be an mp5, or my Garand.

A handgun should be your PRIMARY weapon as you always have it on you, easy to conceal, easy to draw. Train with it to 100 yards. But when picking out something longer to supplement it, it makes more sense to pick a RIFLE over a pistol caliber carbine. The AR pistol has a niche as well, in that it can be legally concealed carried in your vehicle or on your person, while a rifle may not. You can also fire the ARP much more easily in close quarters than a rifle.

Yes, you lose velocity, but getting hit in the chest with a 2,400 per second 45mm long round that tumbles through you, is not something to sneeze at.

A handgun should be your PRIMARY weapon as you always have it on you, easy to conceal, easy to draw. Train with it to 100 yards. But when picking out something longer to supplement it, it makes more sense to pick a RIFLE over a pistol caliber carbine. The AR pistol has a niche as well, in that it can be legally concealed carried in your vehicle or on your person, while a rifle may not. You can also fire the ARP much more easily in close quarters than a rifle.

Yes, you lose velocity, but getting hit in the chest with a 2,400 per second 45mm long round that tumbles through you, is not something to sneeze at.

Uhhh, the bullet itself is not 45mm long (the cartridge is, not the bullet) and I prefer an expanding bullet to a tumbling one - which is why I assert that if you are going to use a short barrel, then 7.62x39 or .300 BLK is preferable to 5.56x45.

I think in Portland (or any other urban area) you'd be much better off keeping your weapon concealed, any other valuables well-hidden and do your best to blend in with everyone around you until you get out of town. Look like you've got nothing to offer.

Smear some dirt on your face and loudly ask if anyone has any VEGAN survival food.

When out and about...I try to cultivate a "Don't mess with me" look...But not an aggressive or challenging kinda look ...if that makes sense.
Andy
It does make sense! I try to go for "just barely not worth the trouble."

You have to look tough enough to protect whatever you have... If you have nothing visibly valuable and look like an average dipshirt, no one will bother with you.

If you have a big four wheel full of rifles and shotguns and a trailer full of gear, you better look really tough, cause everybody will be running a risk assessment to guess what you might have in there and what their chances are of being able to take it.

I'd rather blend in with the man-buns and hemp shirts and keep the trunk closed.

Since the OP is referring to "in City Limits', and the Portlandia type folks are so unstable (we are basically dealing with the triggered POSs you see on the news), these are the 3 main factors are it's CQB conditions, concealability is critical, and volume is required.

I would go with a semiauto pistol and Keltec Sub2K in 9mm with compatible mags loaded with Honeybadgers. MIne are Glock (40's not 9s) 28 rounders all loaded in a black leather laptop briefcase. (I have different capacity mags for the different jurisdictions I travel to) I also have a pack that I carry my laptop and more gear in. It is always with me too, so I guess I've made my GBH Bag into 2... but I will get home.

Didn't read the thread. AR pistol. Legal to CCW, better maneuverability in a car or building, and still accurate to hundreds of yards. It can also be easily concealed in a standard backpack or under a long and thick jacket....

I've shot one and it was unreliable, heavy, and not something I would want to rely on if SHTF.

Sorry, not going to buy that a 12ga is better than a PCC or M4 in terms of reliability, capacity, or maneuverability.

View attachment 731929

Exactly, there is a reason modern wars are fought with mostly carbines...not shotguns. Even police have switched over. The SG has a place as a HDW, but if you're bugging out, I'd rather have a rifle or carbine. With a SG in the back seat....

I still think the chance of violence reaching my little area is pretty slim, but I do work in a nearby college town. Violence could conceivably break out and I might have to grab something other than my P365 to throw in the SUV when heading to work or for supplies. I mean, things look pretty bad all over the US and I don't see it getting better no matter who wins in November. I'm currently shopping for a tactical vest and am upping my ammo supply, as well as dusting off my tactical range toys. But for the vest, wondering which long arm to kit it for.

So, I have a number of firearms and don't need any more. That may be blasphemy to some, but I have all the bases covered. The two that it comes down to for violence in city limits is either an AR in .223 or an Extar EP-9, which takes 9mm Glock mags. Both have the same capacity (33 rounds vs. 30). Both have the same goodies. Bothe have been 100% in functioning and reliability. Both carry well and are extremely accurate. Both have the same manual of arms. I also have about the same amount of ammo on hand for either, though I am set up for reloading 9mm and not .223.

It really comes down to 9mm out of a 7.5" barrel, or .223 out of a 16" barrel. And also, the Extar would use the same mags as my SHTF sidearm; a Gen 5 MOS G19.

Would be interested in hearing different thoughts on both. I also have an AR-10 set up as well, but it's a mountain SHTF rifle and not suitable for urban environments.

These are my two choices:

View attachment 707784
It's great to have choices.

Carrying any long arm paints a target on your back, you are the FIRST threat to be delt with, and then the hoard moves on, generally also taking what you had in the process! The trick is to blend in, not stick out! Now, TEOTWAWKI, all bets are off, but general SHTF, you still need to be careful!

Which is exactly why I say a concealed AR pistol is the way to go. Under a jacket or in a pack. Use your hand gun to move to cover or deal with the closest threat then swing that bad boy up and reassess. Painting people with a green laser has some incredibly sobering effects....

In the streets with dozens of people coming at me the last thing I'd want is a .22 or a shotgun that some keep bringing up. Nothing like expending 6 to 8 shots of 12 gauge, connecting with 3 (yes they have to be aimed at close ranges) then trying to reload while being rushed by 800 people...

Watched 45 minutes of the video above by nutnfancy. Does the guy EVER get to a point?! Does he even HAVE a point?! When I checked the clock, I had actually only wasted a good 5 minutes I'll never get back, but it seemed like 45 minutes, ... maybe more. The next video that came up was "Top Ten Guns I wish I had Not Bought" by Honest Outlaw. OK, the guy didn't waste time and got right too it. I HIGHLY recommend you watch this youtube video, at least to see his #10 (first on the list) gun. I'd tell you what/who/why and while not exactly what I saw at my club (different gun, same builder/smith), it was close enough for gov't work. Wish the guy DID spend a little more telling me about what went wrong "gun #6, didn't work, got rid of it. Gun number 5, didn't work, got rid of it. Gun #4, didn't work, got rid of it..." really didn't tell me as much as I would have liked, but on the other hand, even with his promo and begging for money the video was about 15 minutes start to finish. He did admit he sent one gun back to the factory to get it fixed, the others were, as I said, "junk, sold it... junk, sold it, ...junk..."

OK, if I was carrying a 9mm Glock and had a 9mm PCC and was running around town, I might take the PCC so I would have one set of mags to deal with, and pray I didn't need to shoot over 50 yards. If only one, the AR is it. Plus an extra 30 rd mag, instead of the handgun, on top of the usual payload of ammo.

Interesting thought, what to carry in SHTF, what if you don't have THE gun with you?! What if limited to only three guns (if Biden gets in)? What if. had to account for every round (look at England when three fired cases went missing during a police drill "if found MOVE AWAY! CALL THE POLICE! DO NOT TOUCH!" I mean what did they expect to happen if it was touched? Blow up?! A buddy is a cop in Holland and God help him if he shoots a pantifa, or can't find the round of fired brass!)... well that actually happened, in South Africa, Rhodesia, and Kenya. In Kenya it was the MauMau killing all Whites (think Chicongo, Cincinnati, Seatle, etc., etc. Or the other 60 or so cities I could list, and coming to a city near you). In South Africa, the gov't thought it would be a wonderful idea to limit everyone to three guns, PERIOD. For LIFE. Three crappy guns? You are screwed there buddy! Needless to say, the farmer had three guns, the wife had three guns, the dog had three guns, the cat had three guns, the goldfish had three guns... The odd thing, to me, was .22 rifles were treated like gold! Why? While you might be able to get a working big bore (licensed guide) replaced, with hopefully something useful, a .22 would never pass muster with the commie scum. Your .22 bit the dust, you were SOL! Bought ammo, registered and accounted for. Yeah, that was fun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top