JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
is there any milspec firing control groups that seem to be 'better' than others? man i had a bushmaster kit that was AWEFUL. best one i had came from Aero Precision

Has anyone tried any of the AIM surplus drop in triggers? or the velocity triggers?
I have some geissele triggers a velocity and now only buy larue mbt-2s triggers. They keep dropping in price and are down to I think $80. My friends and I really can't tell the difference between it and the 3x as expensive geissele. The velocity is a great single stage trigger I popped in my little 300 blk sbr. They also give a nice le/mil discount

Wow, talk about being triggered. I admittedly have limited experience, but I'm a fan of Geissele and ALG products. I have used the SSA-E in one rifle and the ALG ACT in another. The SSA-E is amazing. Though definitely a light trigger pull especially with those two stages. My farts could make me pull that trigger prematurely. The ALG Advanced Combat Trigger is a nice middle ground. Not so light that I worry about a stiff breeze, but a solid crisp one stage. Anyways, my two cents for what it's worth.

I don't have a massive amount of trigger experience but I just built my first AR in 5.56 and in it I installed a Triggertech Competitive 3.5# curved bow. I have fired many mil-spec triggers and I had a trigger job done on my PTR trigger. This Triggertech is amazing! Super light, crisp, clean break. Nearly no reset. I'm a mag dump kinda guy not a precision shooter and my AR just has a micro red dot with 2 MOA dot and I was stacking rounds into a dime size hole at 50 and 100 yards. It's my new go to.

The downside to straying off the millspec route.....it's hard to go back! I just bought a LWRC DI rifle for my dad and took it to the range to function check. After going through the first mag I was thinking "this thing needs a new trigger..."

The downside to straying off the millspec route.....it's hard to go back! I just bought a LWRC DI rifle for my dad and took it to the range to function check. After going through the first mag I was thinking "this thing needs a new trigger..."
or squeezing the trigger and nothing happens like the selector is on safe. LOL. im so used to my 3.5lb triggers i did that once. nope just gotta squeeze the trigger harder

It's funny, the horrible M16/M4/GAU triggers I used all those years turned me off to the AR platorm. Unless it was a training unit rifle with a million cycles on the trigger it was always heavy and gritty. Once I realized how nice an aftermarket AR trigger can be I stopped despising the AR.

I may be the most boring man alive after this statement, but I prefer Milspec. Just something about being proficient with a standard issue rifle that does my heart well.

Another Geissele SSA user here. I've been shooting one for three years now. It's probably over priced, and if I was to buy again, I most likely would go for a G2S at $165.00 rather than the $240.00 SAA. It's trigger weight is at my max preferred pull of 4.5 lb, with the 1st stage at 2 lbs. I don't go into battle, and I see no sense in a 7 lb. trigger. I shoot paper and would prefer a 2 1/2 to 3 lb. pull. I have a Kidd two stage trigger on my bench rest 10-22 and it is superb. I'm sure the other quality AR brands are equally good, and I have no allegiance to Geissele. What I look for most is weight and break, followed by reset and consistency. My 2 cents.

Just as the title asks, which trigger do you guys prefer? standard milspec, milspec with a polish and some springs? drop in? any specific drop in? binary? single stage? two stage? dislikes?

i prefer two types of triggers. i prefer a milspec that i have polished and added JP springs to.sometimes i'll even add a setscrew up the grip screw hole to shorten the pull. i like doing this because its a significant improvement over a stardard milspec trigger and it is cheap to do...also, its fun and rewarding to be able to work on your own gun and say "i did this!"

i also prefer single stage flat bow drop in triggers. specifically the CMC 3.5 and the Rise Armament RA-434. out of those two, i like the CMC better. it has just the slightest amount of more reset than the RA allowing me personally to have more control. i have a CMC in a 5.56 build AR and a RA in my long range 6.5 grendel build.

the CMC is a very fast trigger IMO. it breaks like a candy cane and the reset is pleasent.

the RA is rated at 3.5lbs and may be lighter than that. the reset is one of the shortest ive ever felt and its also a really "candy cane" like break.

for the price, theyre hard to beat IMO.

originally, i had the RA in my LR308 but soon found out the reset was so short that upon recoil i would slightly move my finger forward allowing the trigger to fall forward onto its "drop safety" then having to pull the charging handle to reset the trigger. i put the stock trigger back in my LR308 after doing some polishing and JP springs in it.

the rise armament trigger works great in my 6.5 grendel because there is very little recoil during the shot and i am able to hold the trigger back after the shot then let it reset when im ready.

ive never been a fan of the 2 stage triggers. just never could get used to them or i just havent spent enough time with them. some feel great but just that 1st stage messes with me, i guess.

what do you guys like?
I just did a trigger pull weight between geissele national match and the Wisconsin trigger company. The geissele was two 2 # and one 1.93 #. The Wisconsin trigger company was 2.5# for all three pulls. I have my geissele set up almost like a single stage and the Wisconsin trigger company has a short take up with a crisp break. Prefer the Wisconsin trigger over the geissele because it has a better predictable wall. Just my two scenes. Also did my Glock 2# all three pulls.

is there any milspec firing control groups that seem to be 'better' than others? man i had a bushmaster kit that was AWEFUL. best one i had came from Aero Precision
The ALG QMS is built to be a mil spec trigger that doesn't suck.
About $45

And you can tweek it a little with a...
JP spring kit ($10)
p_452000007_1.jpg

Trigger adjustment screw (50 cents) or the fancy ($10)
JB-TRIGGERADJUSTER-2T.jpg

Last Edited:
I have been using Colt Defense milspec FCG's. I also have a few of Colt's coated FCG's which are a step up from the standard milspec.

I only have one precision AR, and I use a Larue MBT-2S trigger. It breaks so clean. I like Timney's on competition rifles in general, never used one on an AR for competition: I'm sure they are fantastic. If I were to compete with my AR, I would use the Larue MBT-2S and if that did not cut the mustard I would get a Timney: but I doubt I would need to.

I have installed many different AR triggers. I don't want an extremely light trigger on my AR's so I prefer polished and greased milspec FCGs. I like most triggers I have installed minus some cheap sub-milspec crap. My favorite so far is the Larue: it delivers the perfect pull weight, super clean break, and a nice reset: I love the additional width. The Guys-lee triggers are great, Timney great, Hyperfire, I could go on but it really boils down to what you are doing with the AR. I would want a Guys-lee SSF if I was doing CQB, but otherwise a SA milspec with a decent polish and greasing is fine for semi auto carbines. (I learned to polish a milspec FCG by a factory worker for a manufacturer who prepped hundreds a day with ultra fine emery cloth on a trued steel block: it's not rocket science but you can destroy the FCG if you fud it so please don't try polishing your FCG unless you study up on it in great detail). Safety first!

My favorite AR parts manufacturers: Larue, Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW), MGI, BCM, Colt Defense, Windham Weaponry, RRA, and a ton of military parts contractors that make great stuff for Colt Defense, FNH etc. I have some associates in the industry but I have not used some of their products so I can't recommend them but have heard good things about Core15, Praestolor Arms.

Just as the title asks, which trigger do you guys prefer? standard milspec, milspec with a polish and some springs? drop in? any specific drop in? binary? single stage? two stage? dislikes?

i prefer two types of triggers. i prefer a milspec that i have polished and added JP springs to.sometimes i'll even add a setscrew up the grip screw hole to shorten the pull. i like doing this because its a significant improvement over a stardard milspec trigger and it is cheap to do...also, its fun and rewarding to be able to work on your own gun and say "i did this!"

i also prefer single stage flat bow drop in triggers. specifically the CMC 3.5 and the Rise Armament RA-434. out of those two, i like the CMC better. it has just the slightest amount of more reset than the RA allowing me personally to have more control. i have a CMC in a 5.56 build AR and a RA in my long range 6.5 grendel build.

the CMC is a very fast trigger IMO. it breaks like a candy cane and the reset is pleasent.

the RA is rated at 3.5lbs and may be lighter than that. the reset is one of the shortest ive ever felt and its also a really "candy cane" like break.

for the price, theyre hard to beat IMO.

originally, i had the RA in my LR308 but soon found out the reset was so short that upon recoil i would slightly move my finger forward allowing the trigger to fall forward onto its "drop safety" then having to pull the charging handle to reset the trigger. i put the stock trigger back in my LR308 after doing some polishing and JP springs in it.

the rise armament trigger works great in my 6.5 grendel because there is very little recoil during the shot and i am able to hold the trigger back after the shot then let it reset when im ready.

ive never been a fan of the 2 stage triggers. just never could get used to them or i just havent spent enough time with them. some feel great but just that 1st stage messes with me, i guess.

what do you guys like?

I prefer hiperfire eclipse or the 24c. All of them are great but these two are my favorites EF9B4A4F-B19A-4F61-B921-54E186FA125C.jpeg 405D5A8D-0EBD-40A5-9034-F8E23700F2AD.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews