JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I'm looking for a company to support with my business. I'm looking for a gun company that is:

- Based in the US with American ownership and American manufacturing
- A largish company with at least 10 years of manufacturing experience
- Makes semi-automatic handguns
- Doesn't have a history of pissing on the 2A
- Doesn't make crap
- Bonus points for vacating anti-gun states

Ruger is out due to the Bill Ruger issues from the early 90's and their continued use of state-mandated safety features in all their guns (LCI's, magazine safeties, etc...)
S&W is out due to the Clinton agreement in 2000
Springfield is out as the XD's are manufactured in Croatia
Glock, Sig, Taurus, Beretta, Steyr, HK and FN are all foreign based and/or foreign manufactured.

Kahr seems to meet all the requirements but all they make is carry-sized handguns. Remington and Colt are in if I want a 1911.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other US handgun companies who make quality guns in the US and haven't been out to sell our our rights in the recent past?

I have been a fan of Wilson Combat but I have not studied their politics.

How do they rate in your line-up?

I'm not super-familiar with them, it seems like they're a smaller manufacturer? Looking at their website they seem to be in the same category as Remington and Colt; they're great if you want a 1911.

And a secondary question: at what point do we forgive companies for their past indiscretions? Bill Ruger has been gone now for a few years and S&W was sold shortly after the 2000 agreement...

Kimber, if they weren't still in NY!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

And a secondary question: at what point do we forgive companies for their past indiscretions? Bill Ruger has been gone now for a few years and S&W was sold shortly after the 2000 agreement...

I think Ruger got the message.
Look at the sweet AR's they put out now. Top notch for the civillian market.
Kimber is all US

??

I would buy a S@W or RUGER with out a second thought, They are good guns . Bill Ruger has passed away yet still the mini 14 won't take an AR15 magazine and S@W has been bought and sold so many times over the years I am not sure if the people are still in charge who did the Clinton agreement. Glocks are a foreign company as well as Beretta yet they are mfg or at least assembled in the USA.

I'm not super-familiar with them, it seems like they're a smaller manufacturer? Looking at their website they seem to be in the same category as Remington and Colt; they're great if you want a 1911.
They are great if you want the nicest or at least one of the nicest 1911s that money can buy. I have a friend with 2 and shoot them when ever I can .

I would buy a S@W or RUGER with out a second thought, They are good guns . Bill Ruger has passed away yet still the mini 14 won't take an AR15 magazine and S@W has been bought and sold so many times over the years I am not sure if the people are still in charge who did the Clinton agreement. Glocks are a foreign company as well as Beretta yet they are mfg or at least assembled in the USA.

That's really where I'm wondering... Bill Ruger is gone and they're obviously producing models for the CCW market, but still with all the extra safety stuff. S&W was sold from British to American ownership the year after the Clinton agreement, but it was sold to a company that made safety locks (which is why they're in so many of their guns). I know Beretta is Italian, but they also gave the middle finger to Maryland over gun control laws (I think...) so there's some redemption there. And Glock has a factory in the US but most of that stuff gets exported for some reason.

I like the looks to the R-51, if you're interested in the 9mm....

remington_r51_threaded.jpg

Actually the Beretta M9 is made in the US, along with several of the military issue FN's and Sigs as I recall. I would also add that Kahr has purchased Magnum Research and partnered ( I think) with IWI, so expect to see some great things from them in the future. Kimber also makes some pretty nice rifles as well.

Rohrbaugh is made in a custom shop in NJ, but their tech person operates out of Bend, Or I believe.
Pretty small line though.
Ruger is really widening their line and still have good wheel guns as well as all the new Semi Autos.
When Kimber left Oregon, Some of the employees started making guns here under a different brand. Not sure if they are still around or what they build though

Interesting looking gun. Glad to see Remington enter the carry market.

I am too. A week or two ago I fondled one of remingtons blued 1911's at sportsmans warehouse here in Vancouver. It was on sale for 550ish, hell of a gun. Very nice 1911. I have owned several to compare to it including a few colts, and a kimber custom. I thought the pistol was a great deal for the money. Probably would rather carry it than my glock 23, I just have alot of mags and am very comfortable with the glock platform.

This new carry gun looks interesting, 389 MSRP ..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top