JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
15th street deadened at the beach and the bay. There was a small public doc on the bay. I didn't have a surf board but dad would rent me one of those inflatable, air mattress type things. I would take that in the surf, and paddle it around in the bay too. Around the boats that were anchored out there. Amazing isn't it? The folks trusted me enough to just go out on my own a "Play"? Imagine what it would be like down there now?

I talked to Mom about this quite a bit. Even tho most parents let their kids out to play, she would let us go into pretty heavy surf and go to the bay unsupervised. She told me that she had 3 boys and was determined that she would let us be strong boys. I guess they didn't have a lot of child abductions back in those days, but even so we got to do some pretty awesome stuff. Dad had been a lifeguard, and I was a competition swimmer and Jr lifeguard, so body whomping at The Wedge might have worried her, but she still let us do it. On the other hand, she taught us all to cook, sew, wash dishes, etc. She was determined that she not have "dependent" boyz.

Unlike so many of today's parents. Seems we either get helicopter parents or the kind that give the kid $20 and tell them to run along. I'm glad I still see parents involved in kid's sports tho. One of my grandsons is in Brazilian Jujitsu, even tho he also loves his Xbox games. Recently gave him my deer rifle, tho they all shoot, he seems to be the only one that wants to hunt. He even got my son-in-law interested in taking him turkey hunting.

Geez...everyone knows it's a dick move to card charge anything less than $10. Well...I guess not everyone.

Not really.

Recently......
I've been eating at many of the numerous fast food places.
Due to the CCP Virus.......well, the employees don't want to touch my "dirty money".
OK, Ok, ok......so, I've gotten used to using my CC for my $5 meals.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I always did see a penny and if it's tails toss it over your shoulder and walk away - maybe the next guy will get lucky. Pass the luck forward, as it were.

In certain cultures......
It's NOT good form, to pick up money off of the street.

Yeah......for some people, it has to be a certain amount of money before they'll bother to bend over/down to pick it up.

Whatever.

Mostly......if I see a penny......I'll pick it up. Rrrrright.....who knows, it might be real copper. LOL. Anyway, I preserve the "good luck"......by chanting to myself (while picking it up)......

"Find a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll get good luck."

Aloha, Mark

PS......my kid (now, in his early 20s) won't pick up a penny. While I would.
Is that the difference between generations?

It's working its way through the courts now, but in at least a few states it is illegal to charge a surcharge for cc use. IE, just state and pass the cost on to the customer. So it's not simply contractual. In a number of other states (maybe fed... don't recall) the amount of any surcharge is limited by law to a "reasonable" specific amount to (supposedly) cover the cost. Along with a slew of other regs about itemizing, posting, and tracking the amount you can charge a customer.

All I know is.......

I visit the gas staion.....
And I see the price difference between paying for gas by cash vs a CC.

Yeah........(for gas stations) it's everywhere (I suspect) now a days.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
How do places on line that charge to use a card do it in those States? Just say no sales there?
It's against the vendor agreement to do so (also against the vendor agreement to check ID, last I knew) so the places I am aware of don't charge for CC use, they instead offer a cash discount. I'm not sure how that would hold up legally but they seem to make it work.

It's against the vendor agreement to do so (also against the vendor agreement to check ID, last I knew) so the places I am aware of don't charge for CC use, they instead offer a cash discount. I'm not sure how that would hold up legally but they seem to make it work.
Sounds odd. Here is a random ad from one auction that is VERY common there. This has been like this for as long as I have been ordering ammo so I have to guess the places trying to pass some law against this have only "talked about it" not actually done it. The gun shops here have been doing this as long as I have lived here. Have a sign saying if you want to use plastic you have to pay the difference. I have LONG been told this is violates the Terms the merchants agree to but it sure looks like the card people just are not interested in enforcing it. I have never cared but have sure heard a lot of people mad about this. :s0092:
The above prices on this item reflect a 3% cash/check discount. This discount is not valid for credit card purchases. Add 3% to the total cost for credit card purchases.
Shipping Exception - Ammunition
Due to Federal Regulation, actual shipping charges may be charged
Ammo Restriction States:
Alaska
California (Can only be shipped to an FFL holder or a Licensed Ammunition vendor)
Connecticut (Requires a valid Ammunition Certificate along with a photo ID and date of birth)
Hawaii
Illinois (We can ship to other areas in the state of IL, just not Chicago - Requires a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID))
Massachusetts (Can only be shipped to an FFL holder or a Licensed Ammunition vendor)
New Jersey (Requires a valid Firearm Purchaser Identification (FPID))
New York (Can only be shipped to an FFL holder or a Licensed Ammunition vendor)

The above prices on this item reflect a 3% cash/check discount. This discount is not valid for credit card purchases. Add 3% to the total cost for credit card purchases.
Yeah same thing less subtle. It's not that they charge more for CC use, it's that you get a discount for cash or check .....

Seems thin but IANAL. Also, I'm not fussed by it. I do get peeved about being asked for ID.

Lots of interesting viewpoints on these subjects. My wife and I are 36 years young, and she often relays her opinions on differing age groups that she deals with in her job as a hospital rn. She loves anyone born prior to 1945, anyone born after, "in general", are whiney spoiled and demanding, as if the world exists for them only. She does say some men born in the 40s 50s 60s 70s are just fine. But the women have been spoiled by such a good life, they think the world exists to serve them. As for the youth of today she mainly just sees the drug addicts who look 40yrs older than their birth year. She often states how she feels like a drug dealer because so many pts are just there because of narcotic addictions.

An example, my buddys grandfather born before ww2, broke his arm in a fall, the bone was sticking out of his skin, the nurse asks him his pain level from one to ten, his reply was 6.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top