JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many police departments across the nation have been caught selling or trading in fully intact/functional buyback firearms to "help supplement the departments budget".
Confiscated guns as well.

I have a relative who is an LEO with a Dept in WA and he once told me this.

He then went on to say they got into a debate with the FFL who was buying them as they discovered he was paying them considerably less than what they were worth.

I questioned him about this, IE like didn't anyone have an idea about potential value, or monitor this and he kinda hem hawed about how 'No one in the Dept. really knew about them, their values etc' and they had just been 'trusting' him to be fair.

I like how the article completely avoids mentioning that to build one of those "parts Kits" into a functioning firearm will require purchasing a receiver which has the serial number on it and therefore will require a background check. Granted for those very very few firearms that you can do the 80% thing then sure you can end up with a so called Ghost Gun. But you can do that with or without the kits.

I like how the article completely avoids mentioning that to build one of those "parts Kits" into a functioning firearm will require purchasing a receiver which has the serial number on it and therefore will require a background check.
And this part as well:

Removing unwanted firearms through buybacks could help reduce that number, he said, but recycling them back onto the street defeats the purpose.

Why mention anything about requiring a BGC for a part to actually get the gun operating again. This would disrupt the belief of how 'easy it is is for anyone to get a gun'.

A couple of years ago the Fresno CA Police Dept advised me they'd confiscated a handgun and since I was the last known (legal) owner, did I want it back.

I had to pay for a CA background check, then another BGC here in OR, plus the FFL fee. It was a cheap pistol and I sold it. Thanks Fresno PD!

Did ANYONE not know this?
Apparently a lot of anti-gun people were clueless. But now the cat's out of the bag. Now there will be a hue and cry for abolishing the practice. Companies set up to do this will be forced out of business.

This follows my long-held opinion that every good thing, all good angles and schemes, will eventually become neutralized. A good idea will either be competed to death or made illegal. No good prospect lasts forever; when the party is over, you just have to move on to your next best idea.

I have to admit, I've bought a few of these. And followed dozens more in online auctions. What I've noticed is that sometimes bidders will pay MORE for a pile of parts than they might have to give for a complete rifle or shotgun in the same venue. I think one of the lures is the fact that they don't have to go through an FFL dealer. And maybe some buyers are "prohibited persons" who for one reason or another aren't able to buy a complete firearm. Heaven knows where they get receivers for them; AR partially finished lowers are one of the few that are available in abundance. It's a left wing, anti-gun fantasy that people can buy or make substitute receivers for these "kits" easily.

The parts lots / kits are perfect deals for people who have a damaged gun. The barrel alone can easily be worth the price of admission.

While I hate any gun buyback program, reusing/recycling is good for the environment so I heard ha ha. Sure beats them being destroyed, such as what benchmade did with their multi-year program:

Just saw this list of used guns at sportsman's outdoor superstore. They all say "police trade in" and excluding the shotguns at the start are all complete dog bubblegum.

Bryco, Jennings/Jimenez, Lorcin, hi point, raven, cobra, phoenix, Rohm. Page after page of the worst guns made. Pure unadulterated dog bubblegum guns. Surely these must be from a buyback program? What cop is going to be running around with a bubbleguming jennings?

Just saw this list of used guns at sportsman's outdoor superstore. They all say "police trade in" and excluding the shotguns at the start are all complete dog bubblegum.

Bryco, Jennings/Jimenez, Lorcin, hi point, raven, cobra, phoenix, Rohm. Page after page of the worst guns made. Pure unadulterated dog bubblegum guns. Surely these must be from a buyback program? What cop is going to be running around with a bubbleguming jennings?

You need to keep on scrolling past page 100 before you start seeing the good stuff. Unfortunately 99% of them are sold out. Not sure why they still keep the listing up. There are 218 pages.

Some jurisdictions don't even bother with pretending. Many police departments across the nation have been caught selling or trading in fully intact/functional buyback firearms to "help supplement the departments budget". Check the SN to verify it's not a crime gun and out she goes right back out onto the streets.

"Close to home" it wasn't too terribly long ago it was WA state police that got called out for doing just that. I don't recall hearing what the outcome was or if they still do it or not, though.
WA's laws once said it was legal for LE to resell hardware to licensed dealers. Then the bleeding hearts heard of the practice and got the law changed.

P.S. I one I attend had a wide selection of JUNK (rusted, incomplete, broken, etc.) and virtually nothing of any value. I never attended another. Suspected some of the agencies had their favorite FFLs; I never was able to confirm that or break into that market.

I thought this one was kind of funny.

A New Mexico group went ahead with a "buy back" and firearm destruction campaign after they were told they couldn't. Evidently there was some issue with doing a non LE sponsored "traditional" buyback at a central location so they opted to go to individuals homes on request to destroy the firearms.

A little kink though. The anti-gun group is now being investigated under the improper transfer of firearms act passed a couple years ago in their state requiring a BGC on all firearm transfers (including P2P).

Ohhhh... the irony... however, I have no illusions that their state leadership won't choose to turn a blind eye. "Perfectly" fine for a private citizen to take possession of a privately owned firearm... so long as it supports their agenda.

A follow-up to the above... it appears those folks not only took possession of working firearms... with no paperwork and constituting an illegal transfer under the new law they themselves sponsored... they failed to make them "inoperable" under the alphabet guidelines and delivered them to a local high school during school hours for students to use to make "anti-gun" artwork out of.

A single straight cut with a bandsaw does not render a firearm "inoperable" under those guidelines.

Among other things, a torch must be used and specifically states "not a bandsaw", removing certain amounts of material at a diagonal at multiple locations.

IOW, according to the alphabet... the anti-gun group illegally took possession of multiple firearms and delivered "operable" firearms to high school students.

Can't make this chit up! :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR