JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's no going back now, I've gotta live with my choices 🤣😅... I got everything I tentatively pieced together with a couple exceptions. I added a second set of .223 dies, swapped the Vibratory cleaner out for a Lyman 1200 pro, and I added the m500 beam balance scale. After shipping and insurance, total damage rings in at $906.87, so less than 2k rounds of 5.56 overall...

It's getting thumbs up and down - depending on where your read, but personally I like what they did with the Rebel.

Removing the 'onboard' priming system was probably the best part.
I'm not sure how I feel about simultaneously pressing the primer, but I've read a bit of reviews saying folks don't use it and end up using a hand press regardless. It seems cumbersome to work with, and on the plus side, the rebel will be easier to maintain.

I feel like this is the best irresponsible financial decision I've ever made. I can't wait to get everything set up. Now I've just gotta start sourcing components and empty some brass...

but I've read a bit of reviews saying folks don't use it and end up using a hand press regardless.
Probably most of us who started with a RC used it's priming system at first, and as we 'advanced' and got more experience we eventually got into a separate priming system.

I mean, the RC primer works, comes with the press, but once one develops their own 'system' of doing things they may find the press priming system to be impractical - and too slow.

I feel like this is the best irresponsible financial decision I've ever made. I can't wait to get everything set up. Now I've just gotta start sourcing components and empty some brass...
Like I have said before I started reloading KNOWING I would not necessarily save money - but more as an extension of my interest in guns and shooting and to produce better ammo than I could ever buy - and it has never failed me.

Also there is the ability to reload ammo one CANNOT buy, such as reduced loads that are simply not commercially made, even for some fairly common calibers. An example is .30-30 where I can load reduced loads with sometimes 1/3 of the powder of a factory load with lighter bullets.

I ALSO reload ammo I might be able to buy cheaper (such as 9mm).

I ALSO remember a couple shortages where I was sitting at home reloading 9mm while others were remarking about chasing around here are there looking for it....

There's no going back now, I've gotta live with my choices 🤣😅... I got everything I tentatively pieced together with a couple exceptions. I added a second set of .223 dies, swapped the Vibratory cleaner out for a Lyman 1200 pro, and I added the m500 beam balance scale. After shipping and insurance, total damage rings in at $906.87, so less than 2k rounds of 5.56 overall...

I'm not sure how I feel about simultaneously pressing the primer, but I've read a bit of reviews saying folks don't use it and end up using a hand press regardless. It seems cumbersome to work with, and on the plus side, the rebel will be easier to maintain.
You're done. I give it 3 months until you're wet cleaning with pins, a little dawn, and some ascorbic acid. If that long.

:s0140: ...Sinister Laugh.....

One of the BIG things to consider is just how much money will be saved? Are you going to do enough reloading to amortize the cost of the equipment? Right now reloading 9mm is saving me only about $.02 per round when you figure the cost of primers and powder especially. I am sure others are saving somewhat more but probably not much.
Dillon Precision has an amortization calculator on it's website. You plug in the cost of your equipment, components, etc. and how many grains you "intend " to use per round (varies with each powder). For example: if you buy 1 pound of powder at $35.00 and use 5 grains per round, that equates to 1400 rounds (in a perfect world). You do the math on that cost per round (2.5 cents?). Then assume 10 cents per primer (they may be closer to 8 cents now, I do not know) and another 10 cents per bullet. These are off the top of my head figures but that adds up to about 23 cents per round. I see 9mm on sale for $.25 per round on Ammoland (generally with free shipping) frequently. Again, will that pay for the cost of your reloading equipment?
I absolutely save when it comes to reloading .223/5.56 and hunting ammo. I have been reloading for long enough that my equipment has been "paid off".
HOWEVER, all that said, there is a particular joy I find in reloading which adds immensely to the cost benefit of the hobby. My wife, however, does not always like being a reloading widow!

there is a particular joy
^^ This right here ^^ is my primary goal. I need something to focus on and tinker with. I don't have much going on aside from work and home life and it's a hobby I want to spend time on. I've been saying for years that I'd like to get into reloading, but I've never taken the initiative to kick it off. I just needed to set the ball rolling. I completely understand it's not going to save me much money until much later on, but it's a much more affordable hobby than many and it's definitely cheaper than the $200 nights out at the bar I used to throw away multiple times a week. I've been sober for 5+ years now, so I've saved myself THOUSANDS of dollars. I can justify the initial cost based on that alone. In 10-20 years, I may be looking at actual savings, but for now, I'm paying out for much needed recreation, and $1k for multiple years of sanity is a very reasonable expense.

My wife, however, does not always like being a reloading widow
I'm lucky in that regard; my wife supports all of it completely. *for now*

One of the BIG things to consider is just how much money will be saved? Are you going to do enough reloading to amortize the cost of the equipment? Right now reloading 9mm is saving me only about $.02 per round when you figure the cost of primers and powder especially. I am sure others are saving somewhat more but probably not much.
Dillon Precision has an amortization calculator on it's website. You plug in the cost of your equipment, components, etc. and how many grains you "intend " to use per round (varies with each powder). For example: if you buy 1 pound of powder at $35.00 and use 5 grains per round, that equates to 1400 rounds (in a perfect world). You do the math on that cost per round (2.5 cents?). Then assume 10 cents per primer (they may be closer to 8 cents now, I do not know) and another 10 cents per bullet. These are off the top of my head figures but that adds up to about 23 cents per round. I see 9mm on sale for $.25 per round on Ammoland (generally with free shipping) frequently. Again, will that pay for the cost of your reloading equipment?
I absolutely save when it comes to reloading .223/5.56 and hunting ammo. I have been reloading for long enough that my equipment has been "paid off".
HOWEVER, all that said, there is a particular joy I find in reloading which adds immensely to the cost benefit of the hobby. My wife, however, does not always like being a reloading widow!
Once in a great while, I might amuse myself with calculating how many rounds of .22 Hornet I can load out of one pound of AA1680.

Other than that, I never consider cost comparisons to store-bought ammunition. There are SO many other benefits more important and enjoyable.

^^ This right here ^^ is my primary goal. I need something to focus on and tinker with. I don't have much going on aside from work and home life and it's a hobby I want to spend time on. I've been saying for years that I'd like to get into reloading, but I've never taken the initiative to kick it off. I just needed to set the ball rolling. I completely understand it's not going to save me much money until much later on, but it's a much more affordable hobby than many and it's definitely cheaper than the $200 nights out at the bar I used to throw away multiple times a week. I've been sober for 5+ years now, so I've saved myself THOUSANDS of dollars. I can justify the initial cost based on that alone. In 10-20 years, I may be looking at actual savings, but for now, I'm paying out for much needed recreation, and $1k for multiple years of sanity is a very reasonable expense.

I'm lucky in that regard; my wife supports all of it completely. *for now*
This, in MY opinion, is the mindset to have. Here's something else attractive about the hobby. I'll presume your a gun guy like the majority here. A collector of sorts. Tastes in collecting and shooting change. Once you're all set up, you may see firearm in a somewhat obscure, or older, cartridge that you'd like to own. A quick check will tell you if brass and projectiles are available, OR, IF, brass for the particular gun can be fashioned from ANOTHER more readily available cartridge! You may end up remaking brass for a particular gun. I've not done that because I haven't needed to. But it's always sounded interesting.

This, in MY opinion, is the mindset to have. Here's something else attractive about the hobby. I'll presume your a gun guy like the majority here. A collector of sorts. Tastes in collecting and shooting change. Once you're all set up, you may see firearm in a somewhat obscure, or older, cartridge that you'd like to own. A quick check will tell you if brass and projectiles are available, OR, IF, brass for the particular gun can be fashioned from ANOTHER more readily available cartridge! You may end up remaking brass for a particular gun. I've not done that because I haven't needed to. But it's always sounded interesting.
Sheesh! Why not just spill the beans and tell the guy flat out: It's kinda like Heroin:

First shot's free. :cool:

Lots of good advice here for some pretty good people. I'm an hour south of you. If you''d like to come down you can check out my set up and I do offer a one on one reloading 101 class that will get you hands on experience the first time. Beyond that questions are always welcome and free.

OR, IF, brass for the particular gun can be fashioned from ANOTHER more readily available cartridge! You may end up remaking brass for a particular gun. I've not done that because I haven't needed to. But it's always sounded interesting.
Like necking down easy to find 270 or 30-06 brass to make harder to find 25-06.

I'm not sure I'll be modifying any cases to that extent. Definitely not early on, but I may end up eventually trimming down something straight walled in the .45 family just to learn some of the case modifying

Or dabbling in obsolete cartridges That either aren't made or are special order now (holy carp expensive like). Casting saves money and is incredibly useful in that respect as well. Custom boolits. It's a trade worth learning. How else is a poor boy going to shoot a fancy gun?

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top