JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, I'm brand new to reloading and with the impending regulations in my state I thought it would be best to invest in some quality reloading equipment, primers, powder etc. etc.

I am primarily going to be loading 556, 9mm and
7.62x39 (maybe some 12 gauge)

Any input on dies, reloading jigs, presses or anything of that nature would be very helpful.

Thanks
Loading for accuracy, or for high production? Looks like it's for production. I'm a big Dillon fan... 650/750 for high production, 550 for medium.

If I was going for accuracy, I'd use a Rock Chucker single stage or a turret.

For 12ga, just about any MEC that takes an adjustable powder bar. I shot trap, so I had the one with the grippy/squeazy fingers on the resizing/decapping stage.

I don't do anything half bubblegum, I'm gonna watch some videos on the Dillon presses and then make a decision. Thanks everyone for the input.
The 550 struck me personally as the machine I was willing to use, but not fancier than I needed. Some of the steps of automation that are achieved with other machines I just simply don't have the need to do yet.

For example. I've got a pile of brass that may need to be trimmed. Haven't bothered yet even though I have a trimmer because 9mm and .223 range brass is so plentiful that grabbing some brass that's once fired is easy enough to reload without having to do much to it.

Reloading also falls into different categories. There's basically volume and extreme precision. I'm primarily a volume reloader, with a desire for my rounds to be accurate (enough) and toward the high end of the velocity range. Reloading 9mm and .223 FMJ (depending on current ammo prices) is hardly worth the time for most people, but reloading hollow point, soft point, hunting ammo, etc can lead to a cost savings quite quickly.

Some people say - "don't reload your self defense ammo." That's primarily a lot of fear mongering. A self defense case will not be "good or bad" based on the ammo used. A lot of people will exclusively shoot FMJ's and keep their special HP ammo in their gun for carrying. I don't like to do that because there is a difference in recoil and getting used to one thing and shooting another won't be helpful so I just reload my own HP and shoot them frequently for practice because they aren't nearly as expensive compared to buying in the store.

I'd have to agree about the hollow points, I load my own HP rounds with the same charge as my target loads and I use the same style of bullet as well. There are also companies that make target HP bullets for practice shooting so you don't go through your defensive ammo as much.

Start looking for primers - right now they seem to the hardest component to find.
Yeah I noticed that but I'm still a little at odds because all I see are large primers, small primers, etc. etc. but no specifics to particular calibers.
Probably something else I have to learn about reloading.

Yeah I noticed that but I'm still a little at odds because all I see are large primers, small primers, etc. etc. but no specifics to particular calibers.
Probably something else I have to learn about reloading.
Primers are not caliber specific, just type Pistol or Rifle. All reloading info sheets will list what primer you need for that round. Example: 45acp uses a Large Pistol Primers while 5.56 uses a Small Rifle Primers. 9mm use Small Pistol Primers while 308/7.62x51 uses Large Rifle Primers. There are also the Magnum Primers but again the load data sheet will till you which one you need. Over time you can start to tell just by looking at the cases.

If I was going for accuracy, I'd use a Rock Chucker single stage or a turret.
I load match grade ammo on my Dillon 550. I would recommend the Dillon 550. I have been
reloading thousands of rounds a year for many years. I have had to replace many parts that
simply wore out. Dillon replaced everything no charge. Great warranty and customer support
from Dillon. A few years ago I was helping a friend set up his new 550. It worked so smooth
and with no slop. I called Dillon they sent me a prepaid shipping package. They completely rebuilt
my 550 and even repainted it! Turn around was less than 2 weeks! Again NO CHARGE! For
match grade ammo I will weigh each powder charge if using a powders that does not meter
in the powder thrower consistently. Such as Varget, VV N140, IMR 4064. I am set up to load
5 bottle neck rifle calibers and 5 pistol calibers. I use Dillon, RCBS, Lee and Hornady dies.
Remove the powder thrower and weigh each charge on my RCBS Chargemaster.
1699463333695.png
Reloading 38 special. I use the powder thrower for all pistol calibers.
I have never trimmed a piece of pistol brass.
1699463710830.png

They sell shell casings, there are no 5.56 ony .223 cases? I thought you can shoot .223 with a 5.56 barrel but you cannot shoot 5.56 through a .223 barrel. So is it the bullet itself that is different thus why its a no no to shoot 5.56 through a 223 barrel?

Remember, I am new to all this so be nice... :p
You are correct that shooting .223 in 5.56 is not dangerous but the other way around can cause unsafe pressures. A 5.56 and .223 external cases are identical. Internal dimensions are different, with 5.56 offering less room than .223. This is what leads to unsafe pressure - if you use a .223 powder charge that approaches max capacity in a 5.56 case, the pressure is greater due to the reduced internal size and can cause a much larger boom than you are expecting. Way back when I used to sort cases individually to account for this which is a massive time suck. Now I simply use 5.56 load data which works safely in both cases.

I started out with loading just .38 Special and .357 Magnum with an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and a set of RCBS carbide dies. The kit I purchased included a beam scale and Uniflow powder measure. I suggest you consider following a similar path.
Start out with what you shoot the most, acquire the basics and components and a couple decent manuals. Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Lyman all offer excellent step by step instructions. Today, you can also scour You Tube for videos walking you through the process. In 1981 when I started, I was blessed to have a mentor who walked me through the process on his equipment before I purchased mine. (Still probably the BEST way to learn, provided your mentor is competent 😏).
Once you determine if reloading is practical and enjoyable for you, then you can decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
After I became confident in loading my .38's and .357's, I bought a set of RCBS dies for .243 Win (my only center fire rifle at the time). Since then, I have added 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Mag., 10mm, .45 ACP, .223/5.56, 22-250, 6mm Rem, .270 Win, .270 WSM, 7mm TCU, 7mm-08, .280 Rem., 7mm Rem Mag, .30-30 Win, .308 Win, 30-06, .300 Win Mag and .338 Federal to the list of cartridges I have loaded. Most of them on the original RCBS Rockchucker.
A couple decades ago I added a Dillon 550 to load .38, .357, .44 Mag, 9mm and .223 Rem for higher volume. I didn't care for loading .223 on it, but have since added .45 ACP and .40 S&W and 10mm to the options.
Handloading for many is an enjoyable, productive hobby, but it isn't for everyone. It requires strict attention to detail and dedication to the process. You might check out Johnny's Reloading Bench on You Tube. He has a bunch of videos from basic stuff to highly specific cartridge information. His series on trying to match the Black Hills 5.56 77 gr match ammo is really quite good.

Why is it anytime someone asks about "JUST WANT TO START RELOADING" A bunch come on and advise spending many hundred of dollars on progressive bubblegum at the get-go? I'm gonna start referring to those types as *"Dillon Fan-Bois"*! Man I'm glad I bought the RCBS kit with no help from here until I got some basics down on how it all works. My head would have been spinning and I might have fallen to the ground in convulsions trying to read and absorb all of it.

Good luck @RobMa! Being as you mention being mechanically inclined, you should LOVE reloading.

* No slight intended, or inferred, against The Blue Dillon Machine. I fully agree with the Bois that it is, indeed, some fine equipment!*

Why is it anytime someone asks about "JUST WANT TO START RELOADING" A bunch come on and advise spending many hundred of dollars on progressive bubblegum at the get-go? I'm gonna start referring to those types as *"Dillon Fan-Bois"*! Man I'm glad I bought the RCBS kit with no help from here until I got some basics down on how it all works. My head would have been spinning and I might have fallen to the ground in convulsions trying to read and absorb all of it.

Good luck @RobMa! Being as you mention being mechanically inclined, you should LOVE reloading.

* No slight intended, or inferred, against The Blue Dillon Machine. I fully agree with the Bois that it is, indeed, some fine equipment!*
Thanks, I'm open to all input and everything here that's been suggested has been incredibly valuable for me.

Thank again!

The Lee loader was good enough for my grandpappy, it orter be good enough for you. I don't see why all these hi falutin richies keep saying you need a fancy single stage. Just a mallet and 20 minutes per cartridge is the right way to start. That lets you learn the process correct-like, plus it builds patience and character. Maybe one day you can move up to a single stage. Send me a telegraph message if you want more info.

So what do you think about a Hornady press with RCBS dies?

Also I'm finding a bunch of shell plates but they're not specific to caliber they just say #20 #30 #32 #50 etc. etc. I am assuming of course if I go to Hornadys's main webpage I can get some type of conversion chart that'll tell me the exact calibers that each plate will cover?
Just to start I would get the same book as the dies. Lee will better explain the setup of their dies in Their own book. RCBS will best explain the best setup for their own as well. One thing to know is Lee ships their die sets with the correct shell holder.

Well I guess it makes sense to buy a press that automates a lot of stuff so it can cut down on the amount of work it takes to reload one single bullet.
Perhaps I should consider Dillon instead of Hornady.
You will learn a lot more about your loads using a single stage press. Once you have gotten really good at adjusting your dies, and troubleshooting the little problems, then you can concentrate on all the little issues with a progressive press.
The truth is there is the same amount of work that goes into each loaded round. A progressive press just does several things at once. You the reloader just have to adjust and regulate each function.
With a single stage press, you get one finished round for each 3 or 4 pulls of the handle.
With a progressive, the first round takes the same 3 or 4 pulls, after that you get one finished round for each pull as all stations are now full. And the more automation you get the more you have to adjust and time each operation.

I started with a Lee Turret press and loaded tons of .45 ACP and .44 Magnum on it. I then graduated to Dillon for faster loading. But… I still have that Lee for messing around with new calibers or loads.

My first press was a RCBS partner
I bought it back in 1982 and still use it today for seating primers. I have rebuilt it a couple of times. Today my main press is a C&H h press. I have no desire to go to a progressive. I am not a high volume shooter.

Many reloaders started on a single stage press. For me it was the RCBS that my grandpa had that I inherited. After doing about 500 rounds that way and it taking literally about 4-5 times the amount of time to do it that way compared to using the Dillon progressive press, it just became an obvious economy of time decision to use a progressive press for me.

I figure the hours of my life I've saved to produce the same volume of ammo I have has been well worth the price difference.

There's a place for a single stage reloading machine, but it's not in the "most ammo produced for the time spent pulling a handle" category

You will learn a lot more about your loads using a single stage press.
You can load one round at a time on the progressive press if you want to start out slow.
Once you have gotten really good at adjusting your dies, and troubleshooting the little problems, then you can concentrate on all the little issues with a progressive press.
With the removable tool head on the Dillon 550 once the dies are set you no longer have to adjust when changing
calibers. With a single stage I would recommend the Hornady 'Lock-N-Load' bushings it works in any brand of single
stage press. You only have to adjust the dies once. https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/
Guilty as charged. Running a single stage press is so slow. If you are loading 20 Rifle rounds they are fine.
But if you want to load a 500 round batch of 9mm, 45acp or 223 it takes forever. I can load a 500 round batch
easily in a little over an hour. @Mikej A man has to know his limitations. :s0104:

Last Edited:
I started out with loading just .38 Special and .357 Magnum with an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press and a set of RCBS carbide dies. The kit I purchased included a beam scale and Uniflow powder measure. I suggest you consider following a similar path.
Start out with what you shoot the most, acquire the basics and components and a couple decent manuals. Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Lyman all offer excellent step by step instructions. Today, you can also scour You Tube for videos walking you through the process. In 1981 when I started, I was blessed to have a mentor who walked me through the process on his equipment before I purchased mine. (Still probably the BEST way to learn, provided your mentor is competent 😏).
Once you determine if reloading is practical and enjoyable for you, then you can decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
After I became confident in loading my .38's and .357's, I bought a set of RCBS dies for .243 Win (my only center fire rifle at the time). Since then, I have added 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Mag., 10mm, .45 ACP, .223/5.56, 22-250, 6mm Rem, .270 Win, .270 WSM, 7mm TCU, 7mm-08, .280 Rem., 7mm Rem Mag, .30-30 Win, .308 Win, 30-06, .300 Win Mag and .338 Federal to the list of cartridges I have loaded. Most of them on the original RCBS Rockchucker.
A couple decades ago I added a Dillon 550 to load .38, .357, .44 Mag, 9mm and .223 Rem for higher volume. I didn't care for loading .223 on it, but have since added .45 ACP and .40 S&W and 10mm to the options.
Handloading for many is an enjoyable, productive hobby, but it isn't for everyone. It requires strict attention to detail and dedication to the process. You might check out Johnny's Reloading Bench on You Tube. He has a bunch of videos from basic stuff to highly specific cartridge information. His series on trying to match the Black Hills 5.56 77 gr match ammo is really quite good.
WOW that is a lot of calibers! :s0101:

I would like to start with new stuff so I can get an idea of its longevity... thanks for the input I'll look at the link you put here...
Avoid plastic or aluminum on high stress parts, do not over load the press, maintain it properly, and every one of them will outlast your grand kids.

It's not about fan boi sheite.
I started with a Lee Loader for .270
Next press I bought was a Lee Load master and did tens of thousands of pistol rounds on that.
Then bought a Hornady LnL AP
First single stage was a Rock Chucker, added a Rock Jr.
Things I later purchased because they were at fire sale prices:
  • Dillon XL 650 - after using it a week, sold the LnL AP because there is no comparison
  • Lee Classic Cast press - this one handles Rum, Rigby, Lapua and Edge cartridges much better than the RCBS.
  • Forster Co-Ax - and after using it a day, got rid of all my RCBS presses
  • Lyman Turret - it's useful, but I only pull it out once in a while.
What's mounted to my benches? Dillon, Forster and Lee.
As far as progressives, If I'd have just bought the Dillon first, I'd have saved crap tons on money for as long as I've been reloading and what I've spent.

In truth, you can make superb ammo with any of the brands or presses mentioned. Some require more care and maintenance, some need to be adjusted frequently.
Not a single manufacturer has a priming system that is flawless.
As far as dies, some are better finished than others, some rust more easily than others, but all will make good ammo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top