JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They sell shell casings, there are no 556 ony 223 cases? I thought you can shoot .223 with a 5.56 barrel but you cannot shoot 5.56 through a .223 barrel. So is it the bullet itself that is different thus why its a no no to shoot 5.56 through a 223 barrel?
The bullets are the same, what is different is the pressure ratings for the 2 cases, 5.56 has a higher pressure level when fired. As for shooting 5.56 in 223, you can but not recommend long-term. However there is also 233 wyld that can shoot 5.56 more regularly since it is designed to handle it.

The bullets are the same, what is different is the pressure ratings for the 2 cases, 5.56 has a higher pressure level when fired. As for shooting 5.56 in 223, you can but not recommend long-term. However there is also 233 wyld that can shoot 5.56 more regularly since it is designed to handle it.
So then if you're buying new cases, you need to find 5.56 specific?

So then if you're buying new cases, you need to find 5.56 specific?
No, you can use both. 5.56 is just rated for higher pressure but most reloaders won't reach the max pressure limit. I use both all the time when loading for 5.56, only time I use specific 5.56 cases is when I'm loading 62gr SS109s. Rest of the time I use 223rem cases for 55gr fmj bullets. Helps me know which is which by just looking at the case.

I saw some video where the guy had to take the case, un crimp it, cut it down (shave), resize it, check headspace.
Is this what you have to do to every reload, with every caliber? I know you need to clean out the primer hole and clean up the casing in general but all that other stuff, every time?

I saw some video where the guy had to take the case, un crimp it, cut it down (shave), resize it, check headspace.
Is this what you have to do to every reload, with every caliber? I know you need to clean out the primer hole and clean up the casing in general but all that other stuff, every time?
Pretty much. It's in the manual.

Well I guess it makes sense to buy a press that automates a lot of stuff so it can cut down on the amount of work it takes to reload one single bullet.
Perhaps I should consider Dillon instead of Hornady.

Last Edited:
Yeah that sounds about right. I'm my case I use a pocket remer/uniformed to reshape and remove the crimp in one go, plus it makes seating primers easier. Though I wouldn't shave/cut down the case till after resizing. That would be an unneeded step and a waste of brass to cut-size-cut.

Well I guess it makes sense to buy a press that automates a lot of stuff so wit can cut down on the amount of work it takes to reload one single bullet.
The longest time of the whole process is processing the cases to get them ready to load. Pistol cases are a good intro as it is easier than doing bottle necked brass.

OK, I'm brand new to reloading and with the impending regulations in my state I thought it would be best to invest in some quality reloading equipment, primers, powder etc. etc.

I am primarily going to be loading 556, 9mm and
7.62x39 (maybe some 12 gauge)

Any input on dies, reloading jigs, presses or anything of that nature would be very helpful.

Thanks
What impending regulations are happening in Washington?

The cases are the same, the main differences would be in the types and amount of powder. Possibly also the bullets and bullet seating depth. Some reloading manuals do not show any specific data for 5.56, only 223, and those data could be used for rounds to be fired in either chamber. Other manuals have different sections. For example, Sierra has a section for AR platform, bolt-action .223, and Service Rifle. There is a wealth of wisdom in these manuals besides just the load data.

In addition to the general advice of others, do watch some YouTube videos on reloading just to get a sense of the steps. It can be an addictive hobby but it is not for everyone. Your interest in loading 9mm would favor a progressive press, but that is most definitely not the place to start. A single stage or a turret is a more appropriate starting point and will always have a use. Gunblue490 has multiple videos with in depth explanations on all aspects of hand loading. He is a very practical guy and explains what is needed and why, and with a mind for one's wallet. Highly recommended.

As for what to buy: Dillon 550, and necessary accoutrements, die sets, and caliber conversion sets for calibers you wish to reload, done.
I read about these caliber conversion sets, why do they call them that? why don't they just call them different plates or dies, or is that essentially what they are?

I read about these caliber conversion sets, why do they call them that? why don't they just call them different plates or dies, or is that essentially what they are?
Do you want to watch a youtube video and learn this or do you want me to explain everything to you?

Dillon makes their progressive machines in such a way that it takes very little to convert them to work with different calibers, progressively, still on the same machine.

Reloading becomes a significant time commitment and most people who shoot don't bother with it because of that. You should watch some videos of the process from start to finish before you jump in and possibly realize that you are a 'shooter, not a reloader.'

Do you want to watch a youtube video and learn this or do you want me to explain everything to you?

Dillon makes their progressive machines in such a way that it takes very little to convert them to work with different calibers, progressively, still on the same machine.

Reloading becomes a significant time commitment and most people who shoot don't bother with it because of that. You should watch some videos of the process from start to finish before you jump in and possibly realize that you are a 'shooter, not a reloader.'
I don't do anything half bubblegum, I'm gonna watch some videos on the Dillon presses and then make a decision. Thanks everyone for the input.

Has anyone heard of a Forster co-ax single press loader?
Had it's predecessor the Bonanza B1, not my cup of tea, over priced, over rated I'll stick with an RCBS Rock Chucker for a single stage.

FWIW I stay clear of LEE I don't see the value of disposable tools.

Has anyone heard of a Forster co-ax single press loader?
Yes, I have both a Forster Co-Ax and a RCBS Rock Chucker. Both work well. Of the two, I prefer the Co-Ax as I like several of the features (shell holder jaws, floating die mount, easier to swap dies quickly, a bit more compact size on the bench).

Well I guess it makes sense to buy a press that automates a lot of stuff so it can cut down on the amount of work it takes to reload one single bullet.
Consider the Lee classic (cast iron) 4-hole auto-advancing "turret" press. Much faster than a single stage press yet the operating rod is easily removed converting it into a single stage "O"-frame. And then you might as well get Lee dies and a powder measure, all of which are excellent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top