JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright, so I've been shooting most my life and never reloaded a thing. About 2 1/2 years ago I bought 40 acres, bought a bunch of steel steel, and then dropped thousands of dollars on a couple dillons, dies, projecties, powder, primers, brass, and all sorts of other random stuff. Probably wasted a ton of money and didn't even get what I actually needed.

2 years later it's all still sitting in the boxes I received it in and I just keep ordering more new ammo because I've been too intimidated to open the can of worms that is reloading. We were building a new house and it's done now so it's time to set everything up and figure out what else I need. I've tried to start reading and watching videos but it's all pretty overwhelming. I have zero experience reloading and don't have anybody to lean on with experience to show me the ropes. I'm not in a rush to start cranking out ammo, but I do need to figure out where to start. Is there any specific books or video series you would recommend I start with to gain a better understanding of it before I begin?

Orrrr, if anybody on here is in the Spokane area (specifically north of Spokane) that wants to share some tips over a beer, I'm happy to supply some cold ones!

Hornady has a good book that can start you off. Reloading seems more intimidating than it is but it can get spendy depending how much and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If you're just wanting to load target to plink with its fairly simple. Hunting a little more complex and competitive shooting more so.

2 years untouched sounds like you need to sell and buy ammo.

If I were closer I'd gladly help. Love reloading. It's a way to focus my mind and not think. Well I think, but mostly about not screwing up what I'm doing.

Hornady has a good book that can start you off. Reloading seems more intimidating than it is but it can get spendy depending how much and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If you're just wanting to load target to plink with its fairly simple. Hunting a little more complex and competitive shooting more so.
i also like the lyman book i think they just came out with 51st edition im planning on grabbing to see if theres any new 300blk loads in there

Which Dillon press did you pick up?

Your first venture on a progressive can be intimidating. I find it it best to break the process down to steps.
1) Unpack and mount your press. Don't worry about a case feeder yet.
2) assemble and mount the primer system.
3) Mount the proper shell plate for the cartridge you will be reloading. There is a hex screw that holds the shell plate bolt from moving on the side of the ram and is only accessible when the ram is half way up. The shell plate bolt should screw in and unscrew very easily.
4) Take a picture, come back here and post it.

After we have the picture we will be happy to walk you through the next step.
*note shell plate bolt hasn't been secured yet. This will need to be done in the next step after adjusting the shell plate to the right height.

P.S. My old boss bought an used 550 and didn't know about the clamping hex screw on the ram for the shell plate retaining bolt so he went at the shell plate retaining bolt with a pair of vice grips. Not a good idea!

Alright, so I've been shooting most my life and never reloaded a thing. About 2 1/2 years ago I bought 40 acres, bought a bunch of steel steel, and then dropped thousands of dollars on a couple dillons, dies, projecties, powder, primers, brass, and all sorts of other random stuff. Probably wasted a ton of money and didn't even get what I actually needed.

2 years later it's all still sitting in the boxes I received it in and I just keep ordering more new ammo because I've been too intimidated to open the can of worms that is reloading. We were building a new house and it's done now so it's time to set everything up and figure out what else I need. I've tried to start reading and watching videos but it's all pretty overwhelming. I have zero experience reloading and don't have anybody to lean on with experience to show me the ropes. I'm not in a rush to start cranking out ammo, but I do need to figure out where to start. Is there any specific books or video series you would recommend I start with to gain a better understanding of it before I begin?

Orrrr, if anybody on here is in the Spokane area (specifically north of Spokane) that wants to share some tips over a beer, I'm happy to supply some cold ones!
Get your press set up. Pick a cartridge. I would suggest something like 38 or 45 ACP to start with. Choose your load and components out of the recipes in a reputable reloading book. If you get confused or in a tough spot hit us up lots of help available here. You can do it; it's not rocket science.

Also if you do a search in this section there is a ton of threads about getting started. I know several guys here who would even be happy to get private messages to help out. Myself included.

I'd trust dillon precision's youtube videos on metallic cartridge reloading and then their videos for specific machines.

There is a ton of content out there for learning reloading and it depends on how you best learn. For me, my first go-to is a physical copy of a reloading manual like Lyman, Hornady, Lee, etc. Then having a teacher is invaluable. If I had to do it over I guess I'd go to the local range or club and ask who they would recommend as a resource for reloading questions. Just googling shows you have a few clubs in the Spokane area you might be able to reach out to.

I have zero experience reloading and don't have anybody to lean on with experience to show me the ropes. I'm not in a rush to start cranking out ammo, but I do need to figure out where to start.
Start here and dive in.

I had zero experience and just dove in. I asked questions here in this forum and the reloaders here shared a wealth of experience. You'll find everyone does things a bit different and that can be confusing at first as you home in on what works for you and your needs in reloading.

There are similar threads on here and some people and businesses offer classes for new reloaders, not sure what options are available near you. You may want to inquire about this with stores that sell reloading equipment or supplies near you.

I'm in Deer Park. Ive never used a progressive, I load on a single stage press and I'm certainly not an expert, but I can share what I know.

Not knowing exactly what you are planning on reloading, just start with one caliber and YouTube just that one and dive in. If you start with pistol, make sure that you understand what case mouth "flaring " is, and identify if you have Carbide or Standard dies. If for rifle, make sure you have the proper Trimmer setup. 9mm or .223 are good places to start. Besides a good reloading manual, you can also google Load Data for the round, powder and projectile you plan on starting with and you will find a poop load of data from a multitude of sources.

Start here and dive in.

I had zero experience and just dove in. I asked questions here in this forum and the reloaders here shared a wealth of experience. You'll find everyone does things a bit different and that can be confusing at first as you home in on what works for you and your needs in reloading.
@Certaindeaf is the most different.

LOL

Don't sell anything! Once you start likely you'll be hooked for life. There's a wealth of books and instruction available. start with a nice, easy, straight wall case made for a revolver, maybe like 38 special?
The books will walk you though everything. I started reloading when I was 13 years old (40+ years ago!). My dad cut down a 38 case to match the powder weight and soldered it to a small spoon handle. Never had to weigh a charge! The books walk you through powder weight for your caliber and projectile weight, case length, over all length, and you're good to go! Start nice and slow and go from there.
Check the NRA training site, there might even be an NRA instructor for metallic cartridge reloading In your area.
good luck!

I would start with case prep. Set-up the equipment for case prep and get a few reloading trays then start by cleaning with spent primer still in for fired cases. Trim, chamfer, inspect, etc. are easy and not dangerous at all but it still requires all of your attention.

Johnny's reloading on YouTube has good starting videos but you'll have to search for them.

Do you enjoy doing mechanical work around your house? Get satisfaction of changing your own oil, work on your lawn mower when it won't start first mowing, doing the brakes on your car, fan belt replacement? Open up, clean and lube you own fishing reals? If so, just get a book and dive in. Sitting there with the book and your press. Reading and fiddling with the parts. Get the table/bench/chair and sit there and visualize where powder thrower and press will go.
I use the Lyman 49th/50th books mostly. With Speer #14 (came with the RCBS kit) and Hodgdon loading data site for back-ups.

I can imagine if you want nothing to do with those mechanical, self done projects, that loading your own ammo would be a chore.

I didn't pick up on what all you have, but if all you have is progressive press, get a single stage as well. There are many things you will use it for next to your progressive, such as you need to pull a single bullet, or you are doing load development and only need to build a small number of cartridges. Progressives are great for cranking out ammo, but not so good for small tasks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top