JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I'm brand new to reloading and with the impending regulations in my state I thought it would be best to invest in some quality reloading equipment, primers, powder etc. etc.

I am primarily going to be loading 556, 9mm and
7.62x39 (maybe some 12 gauge)

Any input on dies, reloading jigs, presses or anything of that nature would be very helpful.

Thanks

OK, I'm brand new to reloading and with the impending regulations in my state I thought it would be best to invest in some quality reloading equipment, primers, powder etc. etc.

I am primarily going to be loading 556, 9mm and
7.62x39 (maybe some 12 gauge)

Any input on dies, reloading jigs, presses or anything of that nature would be very helpful.

Thanks
What kind of money do you want to put into it? Start with everything new/everything used/50-50? I'm biased but I'd recommend the RocK Chucker Supreme Master Re-loading kit. Around 3-bills new, and would give you the heavy equipment brand new to you. Fer instance..
https://www.natchezss.com/rc-supreme-master-reloading-kit-rc9366
That's the way I started and it was a good thing for me. There will be "Black Friday" sales though through places like Widners, Mid Way, Graf & Sons, Mid South Shooters Supply (favorite of mine),and the like A bunch of stuff you'll need can be found used. I don't know where you are? I've been surprised at all the pieces of equipment for loading that I see at the Oregon Arms Collectors shows. Most of the guys that go to that are already set up, so a lot of it goes un-bought every month. Powder and primers can also be had there at going prices. Which have come down some from a few months ago.

There's a whole lot here at NWFA on the subject of starting loading. A search of the site would keep you busy for days reading.

I would like to start with new stuff so I can get an idea of its longevity... thanks for the input I'll look at the link you put here...

Not sure where you are but I've got some used presses available for cheap and some powder dispensers. As for dies, I prefer Hornady and RCBS and the Hornady quick change bushings make things easier and faster.
As for shotshell, that is a whole different press and setup than for pistol & rifle.

Any of the tools will likely outlast you!
I would start with a single stage press. It lets the new reloader focus on one process at a time. these are also the longest lasting tools. I have a Lee alloy press that I have used daily since the late 80's. Now its used to remove primers.
Even when you decide to speed up the process with a progressive press all the tools from your single stage press will work on a progressive press.
Let your wallet decide which press kit. There is no guarantee you will like reloading as much as I do. So, no shame in getting in for the minimum cash till you know. I have friends that consider reloading about as much fun as watching paint dry. DR

I am a Dillon "Fan Boy" and love my Dillon 650XL press!

If I were new to reloading I would check out and give serious consideration to the Frankford Arsenal X10 ten station progressive press: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024875156?pid=325957

I haven't used one, touched one or even seen one in person but it does appear to be the best value in a quality reloading press these days!

I skipped the whole "start with a single stage press" advice and started with my Dillon 650XL 35 years ago. I had no problems starting with a progressive and feel "quality" progressive presses are less prone to common beginner issues (missing a charge or double charging) than single stage reloading. In 35 years of reloading I have never had a single squib!

For .223 and .308 I have an expensive sets of Dillon dies with a Dillon carbide sizing dies. Most of my other dies are a mix of RCBS, Hornaday, Lee and Redding dies. Other than the Carbide .223 resizing die I haven't found too much difference between the different brands.

9mm, .223 and 7.62x39 are all less expensive cartridges that will give you the least return on your reloading investment. I reload 9mm and .233 as well as many other cartridges. It is worth it to me to reload 9mm because I reload my own carry ammo as well as practice ammo. I am able to economically test my Gold Dot 9mm carry ammo through all my 9mm guns every time I go to the range before switching to cheap practice ammo that I have reloaded but don't see a significant savings over bulk ammo.

44mag, 50 ae, 6.5 x 55, 8 x 57 are all loads that cost a premium at retail prices and give me significant savings by loading my own. 30-06 and .308 also save me considerable money reloading when compared to accurate target quality retail ammo.

Because I reload carry ammo reliability is essential, so I stick with CCI primers that have never given me a single problem in 35 years. I am not saying European and off brand primers aren't reliable, I just don't have the long term proven track record with them that I have with CCI.

When it comes to powder I look for ball, flake or short grain extruded powders that meter easily in my progressive press powder measures. Other than some powders that burn cleaner than others I generally buy bulk quantities of reasonably priced powders with the above easy to meter grain shapes.

Last Edited:
So what do you think about a Hornady press with RCBS dies?

Also I'm finding a bunch of shell plates but they're not specific to caliber they just say #20 #30 #32 #50 etc. etc. I am assuming of course if I go to Hornadys's main webpage I can get some type of conversion chart that'll tell me the exact calibers that each plate will cover?

I started with a progressive Hornady LNL AP, about 15 years ago. I've loaded about 100,000 rds of .32, .38, 9mm, .40, .45, .223, .300 BLK, .30 Carb, 6mm ARC, .308 Win.

It's still my only press.

I either looked them up if I was using other dies, or more commonly I bought the caliber die set with the plate. Hornady has a search by caliber.

It's easier to get your start by loading pistol calibers, IMHO.

So I take it 5.56 is the same as the .223 plate?
Yes.

And with regards to where to start, I'd purchase a couple reloading books or manuals, and read them. Then, see if you can have someone who is an experienced reloader in your area, or someone offering an intro to reloading course, show you the ropes.

That will give you a chance to see if it's something you are interested in getting into.

So what do you think about a Hornady press with RCBS dies?

Also I'm finding a bunch of shell plates but they're not specific to caliber they just say #20 #30 #32 #50 etc. etc. I am assuming of course if I go to Hornadys's main webpage I can get some type of conversion chart that'll tell me the exact calibers that each plate will cover?
RCBS dies work just fine in a Hornady press, I use them in both my presses.
As for the shell plates, Hornady lists what shell holder and plate to use. RCBS lists there's a well but use a different number system. The shell holders are interchangeable on the presses, plates are a bit different though. There are charts out there that list the ones you need for the different ones out there. https://www.reloadingsolutions.com/pages/shell-holder-x-reference-chart

They sell shell casings, there are no 5.56 ony .223 cases? I thought you can shoot .223 with a 5.56 barrel but you cannot shoot 5.56 through a .223 barrel. So is it the bullet itself that is different thus why its a no no to shoot 5.56 through a 223 barrel?

Remember, I am new to all this so be nice... :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top