JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe there are too many fatasses per capita now for their business model to work
That may be true. They didn't make much money off of me. I remember one of my early attempts at a low carb diet and a visit to a Godfathers pizza buffet. I had plates of pizza crust stacked up on the table as I was mostly eating the toppings and some salad. A server lady came by the table to grab some plates and said "low carb diet?" I replied in the affirmative. I felt bad for the Ethiopians knowing all that pizza crust was going to waste.

Possibly just a victim of the times. Hard to maintain the price point for its customers as unskilled labor demands 20 bucks per hour plus insurance, dishwasher for instance. Food has gotten expensive. And how to control the theft? Not by calling the police.....when I was a kid, my folks liked to frequent King's Table in St. Johns in N. Portland. Their entertainment while eating there was watching all the big ladies come in with their giant purses, that were empty. It was almost like a race for them when a new pan of fried chicken came out. Get in line, whole plate piled with fried chicken, get back to the table, and dump it in the purse. Like clockwork. Employees saw it, but even back then, wouldn't dare say a word, just bring out another pan.

I haven't seen so many buffet haters since I walked by the Vegan Homecookers Convention. It's no wonder the the strip mall restaurants are able to charge $20+ per person for dinner and a drink and stay busy.

Hometown Buffett in Beaverton was disgusting. These type of buffets are not my thing, but they have their place.

I do miss Spirit Mountain's buffet, I hope they bring it back.

Line & Lure's at Ilani Sunday Brunch Buffet is not bad if you like seafood.

Last Edited:
Scoping out an upcoming FFL-related errand to into Vancouver, I noticed a Golden Corral on the map there. Woohoo!

When I first heard of GC 10 years ago, there wasn't one in the area, which made me all the more curious about them. I've (seriously) always liked an occasional trip to Hometown Buffet or Sizzler. An infrequent guilty-pleasure reward to myself for exercising, maintaining optimum weight and keeping my blood-draw numbers under control (sorta').

And Golden Corral TV ads are perfect! Glaring lights, cheap, classless decor and steaming, bucket-dumped mounds of shark feeding-frenzy delights. Hard to resist, for me anyway.

But sadly, now that I've found one less than an hour away, I'm hesitant to go.

Why? Because I haven't had the slightest hint of a cold for over 2 years (a 6+ decade personal best for me), which I figure might have something to do with minimizing contact with the unwashed masses. And I'm not talking about Covid. Even with plexiglass sneezeguards, etc., I'm still wary of touching the same ladle or tongs handled a moment ago by some sniffling, nose-wiping stranger with the personal hygiene habits of a dookie-flinging orangutan.

Last Edited:
I feel like they were "less disgusting" in the 80's. Rose colored glasses, perhaps?

I really miss King's Table and Furr's Cafeteria from my youth.

After moving to WA, I tried Hometown Buffet. My family and I have also tried Golden Corral and we enjoyed it for what it is. It's kinda fun to sample that slice of Americana every so often.

Moderation was the key, and these places represent a sub-blue collar demographic that doesn't seem to be doing so well these days.

We lose low-cost establishments that are replaced by much higher cost choices.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top