JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But the sportsman Warehouse is not a shooting range so it's got to be classroom class like Utah permit classes and or safety class.

That is correct. They have CHL classes. Classroom style. Unfortunately, all classes, training, and seminars have been canceled at Sportsmans until the COVID-19 think clams down.

Last Edited:
Federal HydraShock. Haven't ever shot a naked ape with it, but accurate enough and deadly enough to dump a coyote at 75 yards with my Walther PPK-S.
(it was the only gun I had with me).

Expansion tests entirely reliable. Function test (in my gun) flawless. But not cheap.

Federal HydraShock. Haven't ever shot a naked ape with it, but accurate enough and deadly enough to dump a coyote at 75 yards with my Walther PPK-S.
(it was the only gun I had with me).

Expansion tests entirely reliable. Function test (in my gun) flawless. But not cheap.

People still carry those? Jeez I thought HS's went away a long time ago.

Hornady Critical Defense is hard to beat

Agreed Hydro-Shoks are old tech, the only reason Federal continues to make it is because people continue to buy it.

I'll state again in case it was missed the first time, expansion without penetration is meaningless. Most expanding hollow points out of a .380 do not have the velocity to both reliably expand AND penetrate.

I took a class today on basic handgun defense and the recoil on the various guns didn't bother me after I shoot one gun with more recoil than the others. I did think "oh beep" (are we allowed to cuss on here?) because it was unexpected but I got used to it after a couple of shots. I will be doing a private shotgun class too. It will be good to get advice on how to use it properly and help help on how the recoil affects me. I'm 5'3 and obviously a woman so I don't have the chest muscles like men do so we will see what the kick on this shotgun is like. I'm not afraid or anything but advice and help is good and I moved here to Washington just July so it's not like I know a bunch of people who know guns.
Congratulations on having the initiative to protect yourself until the police arrive. You've chosen a decent weapon and what really counts is how you like it and use it. Fancy ammunition is well and good, and it does perform better ballistically. But ANY ammunition will hurt a bad guy, usually sufficiently to cause him to rethink his plans. A restraining order is just a piece of paper. Your pistol is a real deterrent. Good for you! If it's in your budget, and you haven't done it already, think about taking a concealed handgun course and getting a license to carry.

Again, bravo for taking the initiative to keep yourself safe.

Agreed Hydro-Shoks are old tech, the only reason Federal continues to make it is because people continue to buy it.

I'll state again in case it was missed the first time, expansion without penetration is meaningless. Most expanding hollow points out of a .380 do not have the velocity to both reliably expand AND penetrate.

HydroShoks were good. 20 years ago. Projectile technology has come a long way since then.

HydroShoks were good. 20 years ago. Projectile technology has come a long way since then.
I'm reminded of my psychotherapist sister who would attend mandatory annual training for licensing maintenance. After sitting through a class about the latest and greatest techniques, at the close of the class she would stand up and announce, "Now let's all go home and start using this technique while it still works."

I'm sure HydroShoks still work as well as they ever did, and will still eliminate a bad guy if applied with skill and judgement.

I still have what I bought years ago, only now they are behind the new tech loads in the magazine. Gotta be at least as good as PMC HP. ;):D

Hmmmm, weren't the studies differentiated between long and short barreled pistols?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top