JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes i got Federal premium 12g 3in 1 1/2oz bb shot coyote heavyweight load and fiocchi 2 3/4 inch 12LRSLUG for my shotgun and Sellers & Bellot FMJ 9mm browning 92grs 6.0g 380nauto

Might want to throw some 2 3/4" Winchester PDX1 reduced recoil loads in to try. I'm not being a misogynist pig... it's what I shoot for home defense and I've used those others and they are, IMO, punishing to practice with!!!

Some of my favorite ammo in my Mossberg 590 is the Sellier & Bellot #1Buck. This 2-3/4" load is a max charge with 12 .30 cal lead buck shot.
I do not have a chronograph, so I do not know what the velocity is. It does not feel too bad to shoot.
Part number on the box is SB12SI

Another is Federal #4 Buckshot, 2-3/4" shell. These are rated at 1250 fps and have 34 .24 cal lead buck shot. Easy on the shoulder, and feel the same as the S&B mentioned above. These are marketed in the Powershok line in a blue box, part number F130 4B

That Federal 3 inch load will work for home defense...
With that said..I have found in my experience 2 3/4 inch shells to work just as well and with less recoil.
Just something to consider...:)
Andy
Less recoil is good! I asked the guy who sold me both guns for home defense ammo for the ammo that wouldn't over penetrate (proper terminology?) and would stop anyone with the less amount of ammo possible.

Less recoil is good! I asked the guy who sold me both guns for home defense ammo for the ammo that wouldn't over penetrate (proper terminology?) and would stop anyone with the less amount of ammo possible.
Yep , the less to think about when shooting...means better shooting.

And to be a bit grim here....speaking from my experience...if one wants the less amount of ammo shot ...but still wanting to stop someone from harming me....make sure you hit what you need too...
Regardless of caliber or load , or well , anything....

I'd look into getting some of loads listed in post #63
Or if the range in your home is like mine ( short ) see my post #28
Andy

Follow on comment:

It's difficult in writing to figure out just where people are coming from... I get that. I'm having a problem with deciding if your entire first paragraph was aimed at me, or at any members that might snicker at your terminology.

If that rant was all for me, it seems a bit off tone, given my offense, my effort to take a risk and be helpful, and comes off to me as being passive aggressive.

If intended to get others to not give you any guff, I understand. Kinda ballsy for a newbie tho IMO. You've earned my respect if not my enmity.

Just know that although I am not the most tactful person, I tried to be. I wanted to give you a heads up. I care about how people might perceive you... and yes, we do chuckle at newbies... it's human nature, no offense intended.

I was going to write something about having a sense of humor, but what the hell do I know?

Thanks for reaching out and being honest and upfront, I really appreciate that as I am honest and upfront too. My response was to anyone who snickers or tries to give me crap for not knowing terminology that they do. I understand you were letting me know that my terminology was wrong and that others would react to it. I didn't take offence to your comments. I am letting people upfront know I've got fairly thick skin and while I'm here to learn I won't engage with anyone who want to pick on the newbie. I'm a single mother, a teacher, Jewelry artisan (work with metal, hammers, tools etc) and have lived in 4 countries and travelled the world and seen a lot of stuff most people have not.

I do hope that I didn't offend or upset you, if I have I apologize and hope that this clarification helps.

Yep , the less to think about when shooting...means better shooting.

And to be a bit grim here....speaking from my experience...if one wants the less amount of ammo shot ...but still wanting to stop someone from harming me....make sure you hit what you need too...
Regardless of caliber or load , or well , anything....

I'd look into getting some of loads listed in post #63
Or if the range in your home is like mine ( short ) see my post #28
Andy
You are absolutely correct here! Which is why I will be doing private shotgun lessons as well as practising with my handgun once the 10 day wait is done. I did do a handgun class last night and so I did get some hands on experience with the handguns they had available.

What is post #63? and post #28? is this in the forum somewhere?

Another decent load is Federal Vital Shok 12g 00 Buck. This is a more "premium" hunting load. Premium being that it is copper washed, similar to copper plating. Theory has it this that this process keeps the pattern tighter and is less prone to pellet deformation. I like the copper washing as it reduces, in my mind anyways, the introduction of lead particulates into the immediate firing area.

I have some of this stashed for a rainy day as I could not find any of their Law Enforcement equivalent load when I was in the market to stock 12g shells. I have not fired any of it, so I cannot tell you how it feels on the shoulder or patterns. But, it is from Federal, arguably the premier ammunition manufacturer in the country so I doubt it would suck.

2-3/4" shell rated at 1290 fps. There are 12 .33 cal copper washed lead buck shot. Part #P156 00.

Expect to pay more vs. the standard lead offerings.

Problem being with the run on ammo at this point in time, I don't know where or who would have any of this in your neck of the woods. Maybe try online.

You are absolutely correct here! Which is why I will be doing private shotgun lessons as well as practising with my handgun once the 10 day wait is done. I did do a handgun class last night and so I did get some hands on experience with the handguns they had available.

What is post #63? and post #28? is this in the forum somewhere?
Nice...lessons and practice...always a good thing for sure.

As for posts #63 and #28...
I was referring the posts in this thread...if you look at the top right of a given post you will see a # and that tells what number the reply is the thread...in this case of this reply #70
( Hope that makes sense...as I am more of a gun guy , than a computer guy...:D )
Andy

Nice...lessons and practice...always a good thing for sure.

As for posts #63 and #28...
I was referring the posts in this thread...if you look at the top right of a given post you will see a # and that tells what number the reply is the thread...in this case of this reply #70
( Hope that makes sense...as I am more of a gun guy , than a computer guy...:D )
Andy
Ohhh thanks! This is very helpful! I will look up or back and check them. I'm super new and I didn't even notice the numbers.

Thanks for reaching out and being honest and upfront, I really appreciate that as I am honest and upfront too. My response was to anyone who snickers or tries to give me crap for not knowing terminology that they do. I understand you were letting me know that my terminology was wrong and that others would react to it. I didn't take offence to your comments. I am letting people upfront know I've got fairly thick skin and while I'm here to learn I won't engage with anyone who want to pick on the newbie. I'm a single mother, a teacher, Jewelry artisan (work with metal, hammers, tools etc) and have lived in 4 countries and travelled the world and seen a lot of stuff most people have not.

I do hope that I didn't offend or upset you, if I have I apologize and hope that this clarification helps.

Yup.... we're all good. Thank you!!

Another decent load is Federal Vital Shok 12g 00 Buck. This is a more "premium" hunting load. Premium being that it is copper washed, similar to copper plating. Theory has it this that this process keeps the pattern tighter and is less prone to pellet deformation. I like the copper washing as it reduces, in my mind anyways, the introduction of lead particulates into the immediate firing area.

I have some of this stashed for a rainy day as I could not find any of their Law Enforcement equivalent load when I was in the market to stock 12g shells. I have not fired any of it, so I cannot tell you how it feels on the shoulder or patterns. But, it is from Federal, arguably the premier ammunition manufacturer in the country so I doubt it would suck.

2-3/4" shell rated at 1290 fps. There are 12 .33 cal copper washed lead buck shot. Part #P156 00.

Expect to pay more vs. the standard lead offerings.

Problem being with the run on ammo at this point in time, I don't know where or who would have any of this in your neck of the woods. Maybe try online.
Where is the biggest question too. I've checked around online and found one that someone recommended. From what everyones saying is to have at least 100 of each type of ammo needed. The main reason I got a gun was for home defense and the second was for personal defense outside of the home which is why I got the shotgun and the handgun.

I of course had no idea all this stuff would be happening and thought I should take the classes first and try out some handguns and rifles and see what I like and take more classes and learn everything I needed to learn and then make a decision on which ones were suitable for me and my family. Then this happened and I was like "OH ST" and went and got a shotgun and two days later got the handgun and then took a class. I learn things easy if I'm shown how to do it. I am a visual/tactile person so if I see someone doing it and i mimic it, I got it. I also have a really excellent long term memory so if anything i learn goes to long term memory its there forever.

I have no idea about Law Enforcement load is. Some of the stuff you all are saying I simply don't know yet.

Federal Vital Shock 00 Buck or #4 Buck. They are a little more expensive, but have given me better patterns. Best of the best. Fiocchi also makes a #4 Buck that is nickle plated that I like and is much cheaper. Use the Vital Shock for self defense and use other cheaper rounds to practice with. Do practice with the Vital Shock to see how it patterns in your shotgun at different ranges.

.380, I use 99 grain Federal HST in the summer and Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain in the winter. The Critical defense won't clog with clothing and not expand like many hollow point rounds.

Law Enforcement load is just the name on the box, not necessarily used by Law Enforcement.

Where is the biggest question too. I've checked around online and found one that someone recommended. From what everyones saying is to have at least 100 of each type of ammo needed. The main reason I got a gun was for home defense and the second was for personal defense outside of the home which is why I got the shotgun and the handgun.

I of course had no idea all this stuff would be happening and thought I should take the classes first and try out some handguns and rifles and see what I like and take more classes and learn everything I needed to learn and then make a decision on which ones were suitable for me and my family. Then this happened and I was like "OH ST" and went and got a shotgun and two days later got the handgun and then took a class. I learn things easy if I'm shown how to do it. I am a visual/tactile person so if I see someone doing it and i mimic it, I got it. I also have a really excellent long term memory so if anything i learn goes to long term memory its there forever.

I have no idea about Law Enforcement load is. Some of the stuff you all are saying I simply don't know yet.
Well some of the self defense ammo can be really exspesive.
But you should try it in your gun at the range.
To make sure it works in your gun
As for the 870 I don't know how big your house is but in a house pretty much any 12ga round will work.
I have a 870 use 00 buck shot in it but it will take any kind of ammo

Last but not least is the Federal Personal Defense #PD132 00. It is a 2-3/4" shell with 9 copper washed 00 buck shot (.33 cal). 1145 fps, considered light recoil. I have fired this in my 590, it patterned very good at 20 yards and was a little bit lighter on the shoulder compared to the S & B rounds I mentioned above.

I have no idea where you'd find any right now though.

Well, pretty sure @bbbass was just trying to help and I do understand that being "new" can be a bit frustrating at times but your "children" comment isn't the greatest way to respond.

Joining and posting on a forum about a subject you are trying to learn requires a bit of humbleness and a little less chip on your shoulder.

You're new. We've all been there.
Yes, I believe he was trying to help and I did not take offense to what he said. My response was in regards to those that would seek to tease or taunt. Although, I will seek to be more humble. I think its common among women's groups when someone writes something like that its typical warning before an onslaught of aggressive comments and for it to go from a normal conversation to one of attack. If you've got a wife or girlfriend, you can probaby ask her especially if she's in a Mom's Group as they are particularly vicious. This does not excuse my response but it may shed some light into why it happened.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews