JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/12/13/the-new-reality/

"Ken Hackathorn, has some pertinent thoughts about what he calls "The New Reality" in America. His presentation is well worth watching.

video and additional links
Good video! I think his best point is about the reality for cops rights now. "#1 rule now is I f u don't get out of the car u can't get in trouble". That is spot on (for Portland anyway) and imo very insightful. It was eye opening for me to hear that cuz it puts everything I've seen into context. They do the absolute minimum and high tail it out of there (if they do show up I mean). "No one is coming to save you" is absolutely correct imo. Of course may be different in other areas I can only speak for Portland. 2 weeks ago I called them for a guy attacking cars with steel pipe and throwing rocks at and chasing pedestrians. They talked to him for less than 2 minutes and took off fast (he started up again as soon as the cops were gone and started throwing bricks at cars driving by down the block).

Re avoiding conflict I agree in most cases but I think he is being too general. It seems to me he should have mentioned that u need to decide ahead of time what specific situations you will take action vs situations u will leave or observe and report. He makes it sound like u should just leave every situation. I think everyone should know ahead of time what situations u will become involved in - and hopefully keep that list very short. Then when u see a situation that is outside that list u can leave and get it out of your mind, or observe from a safe distance and report.

A couple hypothetical examples:

1) mass shooter - if it's on your list to take action you move towards the danger to prevent lots of poeple getting killed

2) gangs shooting at each other - it's not on your list so you get the heck out of there.

Don't decide in the moment based on emotion. Decide ahead of time based on your principles and decide for what things u are willing to take the risk of being prosecuted (protecting family is another example for most poeple). If u decide ahead of time and run into something unexpected (Fe someone robbing a store, hitting someone else, Antifa ordering u around when u are driving, rioters damaging property, car jacking, someone threatening u without deadly force, 2 etc., etc). u already know what u are going to do and u are less likely to act out of hurt pride or emotion. Of course every situation is unique but having pre determined what u will take action on is a huge help imo. There are nut jobs everywhere. Just yesterday one man in PDX attempted to kidnap 4 different kids, right in front of their parents! So to me it's helpful to know ahead of time what situations u will leave or observe and report from a safe distance, vs. those where u will take action.

Last Edited:
It's only my opinion. If you can walk away from trouble, do it. More and more, public opinion and interpretation of the law do not favor the righteous. The circumstances requiring me to make a stand are fairly narrow. The fact that I may have right on my side has little to do with it. When common sense and doing what is right goes against the cops, it's double trouble for civilians.

The new reality of America.
JUSTICE based on "Equity".

OMG!!!!! Stop It.
Make-it-stop.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I think Hackathorn is one of the best at transitioning from LEO / Military and relating training and concepts to citizen defenders. This shift has been going on for a few years now. The, "You can't get in trouble if you don't get out of the car," thought process was common in the LA area after Rodney King riots. The pendulum went back to normal for a while and we are back there again (not saying for all officers / areas / departments).

A couple hypothetical examples:

1) mass shooter - if it's on your list to take action you move towards the danger to prevent lots of poeple getting killed

2) gangs shooting at each other - it's not on your list so you get the heck out of there.

Don't decide in the moment based on emotion. Decide ahead of time based on your principles and decide for what things u are willing to take the risk of being prosecuted (protecting family is another example for most people). If u decide ahead of time and run into something unexpected (Fe someone robbing a store, hitting someone else, Antifa ordering u around when u are driving, rioters damaging property, car jacking, someone threatening u without deadly force, 2 etc., etc). u already know what u are going to do and u are less likely to act out of hurt pride or emotion.
I brought this up in a thread recently that we all need to have as clearly as possible thought out rules of engagement; you describe this well here. Avoidance is always a goal but there are some grey areas that we need to think about before. Great points you make.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top