JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you're looking for a passionate instructor who focuses on realistic firearms training, this is it. Tom emphasizes moving and shooting while keeping you in the fight. It was refreshing to train with someone who doesn't treat his students like children. Tom is extremely knowledgeable and encourages everyone to ask questions. If you're looking for a different kind of training that will push you outside your comfort zone based on your ability I highly recommend taking a class with them. They are also super affordable.
https://www.ashigarudefense.com/

00E97ADA-444D-4823-8568-8B2474415600.jpeg

If you're looking for a passionate instructor who focuses on realistic firearms training, this is it. Tom emphasizes moving and shooting while keeping you in the fight. It was refreshing to train with someone who doesn't treat his students like children. Tom is extremely knowledgeable and encourages everyone to ask questions. If you're looking for a different kind of training that will push you outside your comfort zone based on your ability I highly recommend taking a class with them. They are also super affordable.
https://www.ashigarudefense.com/

View attachment 1374412
I checked out the website, and could not find any information on who this is instructor is

Shoot him an email. He'll probably answer better than I. What I know is he's taken a lot of classes mostly with Sonny Puzikas and John Farnum but also with thunder ranch and tactical response. He's basically put his own spin on his favorite drills while adding his own as well. I just got back from training with thunder ranch in January and was rather disappointed and that was expensive af. They really treat you like a child. I got a lot more out of Tom's $500 class and didn't even have to fly or drive very far.

I meant his background, i.e. why I would want to pay to train with him. Rates seem to be about what I would expect to pay for a class with a not-so-famous instructor. Usually there's a bio, qualifications, experiences, etc
Agreed, there are so many excellent training opportunities with legit people available I would need a damn good reason to shell out my greenbacks, bona fides are not optional here.

Agreed, there are so many excellent training opportunities with legit people available I would need a damn good reason to shell out my greenbacks, bona fides are not optional here.
Who do do you train with? I feel like there aren't many good options within driving distance. Usually I have to go to Tennessee to train with tac response.

Who do do you train with? I feel like there aren't many good options within driving distance. Usually I have to go to Tennessee to train with tac response.
The majority of my training in this area is in Goldendale through @Cerberus Group / https://cerberus-training.com/ in addition to taking multiple classes with Steve I've trained with the following:

Tap Rack Tactical / Bill Blowers
Kinetic Consulting / Jon Dufresne
Fieldcraft Survival / Mike Glover
Shot IQ / Joel Turner
Sentinel Concepts / Steve Fisher @ FAS in Onalaska a few weekend ago.

There are a lot places between here and Camden to train.

Same here.

Cerberus is a great facility, I've been there several times, and the training that Steve (the guy that runs it) puts on is top notch. He also hosts national level instructors. Also, he's a great guy.

I took a class at FAS (firearm academy of seattle) with Craig DouglastShivworks last summer, and they are close to Seattle and a great facility as well, and also host lots of traveling instructors.

I've also taken a couple of classes at the Clackamas County Public Training Center with Gabe White and Matt Little, and that was top notch training, too.

I don't mean to belittle a lesser known instructor, he may be a great guy with lots to teach, but with there being so many vetted choices available, it's a tough sell for him without more information

Thanks good to see others getting serious training. I've taken a lot of classes myself (fighting rifle, fighting pistol, immediate action medical, force on force, low light, low light building clearing, vehicle tactics). Is there a class specifically you would recommend? I spent $850 to train with thunder ranch and was told I couldn't leave the range with a loaded gun and to not dry fire my weapon when I went home. That's not really the mindset I'm after.

Same here.

Cerberus is a great facility, I've been there several times, and the training that Steve (the guy that runs it) puts on is top notch. He also hosts national level instructors. Also, he's a great guy.

I took a class at FAS (firearm academy of seattle) with Craig DouglastShivworks last summer, and they are close to Seattle and a great facility as well, and also host lots of traveling instructors.

I've also taken a couple of classes at the Clackamas County Public Training Center with Gabe White and Matt Little, and that was top notch training, too.

I don't mean to belittle a lesser known instructor, he may be a great guy with lots to teach, but with there being so many vetted choices available, it's a tough sell for him without more information
^^^All this is good legit critique and info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top