JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regarding the kids, my view is that if you shoot with them and tell them that any time they want to, you will take them out shooting, it hopefully takes away some of the novelty and temptation.
^^^THIS!!!!^^^
Nothing takes away the novelty and mystique of something like being exposed to it repeatedly (duh).

When I was a kid, we moved to Italy for my Dad's work. He started giving us an ounce of red wine at dinner. We could drink it. Or not.
My older sister and I drank it. Neither one of us ever got stoo-pid-stinkin' drunk in our high school and later years. The novelty of alcohol had been abated years before we ever got to high school. My older bother and younger sister never drank the wine provided at dinner. It was years later when they were in high school that they each over-boozed to drunken excess.

My point, and that of DedPyro (I believe), is that if you work with your kids on this, they will no longer see it as something they need to "mess with" when you're not around, as the novelty and mystique has worn off. They are old enough to "get it" and I suspect they would leave your guns alone if you told them to.
I exposed both of my kids to handguns when they were almost 12 and 14 years old. We go out shooting regularly, and they enjoy it immensely. They are almost 16 and 18 now, and they both can't wait until they can own their very own guns. Start 'em young. The younger, the better...

Edited to correct my kids' ages when first introduced to the 2A lifestyle.

Last Edited:
Not sure about getting criticized, but I haven't read all the posts. My assumption is that people are opinionated and over-helpful.

I left my guns loaded around my kids and never had a worry... that was yesterdays' world. Today I would hesitate to recommend it due to liability concerns. So I'd be kinda "obligated" to advise that guns and ammo be locked away from kids, not knowing you or your kids, and not wanting to make that decision for somebody else.

Generally speaking, most pros will say that guns need to be kept loaded, with one in the chamber.... Therefore:

A decision needs to be made regarding how to keep safe in homes with kids.... It's mostly thought that a handgun safe of the finger activated type, and for the shotgun a locking wall mount that has a release for quick access.

These are decisions that only YOU can make.

Yeah, true enough.

It's rather too much varying opinions and do this and don't do that kind of thing which is a bit overwhelming for me.

I agree on a safe or something but I do like the idea of a trigger lock too. Shotgun needs a keyed locker at the least. Handgun will need one of those little safes.

FWIW.... I took my kids out when they were still young, and had them shoot a 20ga shotgun at a watermelon from 2' away... they learned that firearms can cause lots of damage. Then I instructed them in shooting any of my guns they wanted to shoot. Educated on the danger, curiousity gone. But strict rules for no touch and what consequences might be. Children of any age must know that guns are not toys to be shown to friends, etc.

I'm not saying this as an endorsement for not keeping guns safe around kids. Or kids safe around guns.

This is a very controversial and emotionally fraught subject in this forum due to the chances of "safe storage" laws being rammed down our throats. My personal thought is that nobody has the right to make that choice for someone else.

It's rather too much varying opinions and do this and don't do that kind of thing which is a bit overwhelming for me.

Yep, we talked about that... hang in there. If you want to shut it off, you can request mod to close the thread since it is your thread. No worries.

FWIW.... I took my kids out when they were still young, and had them shoot a 20ga shotgun at a watermelon from 2' away... they learned that firearms can cause lots of damage. Then I instructed them in shooting any of my guns they wanted to shoot. Educated on the danger, curiousity gone. But strict rules for no touch and what consequences might be. Children of any age must know that guns are not toys to be shown to friends, etc.

I'm not saying this as an endorsement for not keeping guns safe around kids. Or kids safe around guns.

This is a very controversial and emotionally fraught subject in this forum due to the chances of "safe storage" laws being rammed down our throats. My personal thought is that nobody has the right to make that choice for someone else.

Yep, we talked about that... hang in there. If you want to shut it off, you can request mod to close the thread since it is your thread. No worries.
No, I'm good. It's just so much info but, I will get used to it.

I missed the first part of your reply. I plan to take the kids out to shoot with me so they can get used to shooting and learning hands on experience with handling the gun and gun safety. Some things are just learnt better hands on. I meant strict rules on not touching the guns now are important until we can get out to practise and they see what guns can do.

SunShineShan82, you're way ahead of the game by joining this forum early, so instead of getting just one version, you can find out what nearly all competent gun owners agree on, and what things where there are lots of different opinions among experienced shooters that all have some validity.

If your kids are reliable and responsible, you might let them take courses and learn shooting too. In many rural families a boy would own a .22 rifle and maybe a shotgun of his own by age 12. I suggest the quick access safe even if your kids become shooters themselves. Because they will likely have friends who visit or at least know about your guns. And plenty of teenagers have depression that nobody knows about.

I meant strict rules on not touching the guns now are important until we can get out to practise and they see what guns can do.

I should clarify that IMO strict rules are needed that the guns are not to be touched unless under your supervision. IMO the biggest worry is when you are not present, have gone grocery shopping or something like that. Even good kids get curious, have friends that want to see, etc.

Kudos to you for sifting thru all this new info, it's a lot to take in... Unlike the antis say, gun purchase, ownership, and use is not a simple thing. :):):)

^^^THIS!!!!^^^
Nothing takes away the novelty and mystique of something like being exposed to it repeatedly (duh).

When I was a kid, we moved to Italy for my Dad's work. He started giving us an ounce of red wine at dinner. We could drink it. Or not.
My older sister and I drank it. Neither one of us ever got stoo-pid-stinkin' drunk in our high school and later years. The novelty of alcohol had been abated years before we ever got to high school. My older bother and younger sister never drank the wine provided at dinner. It was years later when they were in high school that they each over-boozed to drunken excess.

My point, and that of DedPyro (I believe), is that if you work with your kids on this, they will no longer see it as something they need to "mess with" when you're not around, as the novelty and mystique has worn off. They are old enough to "get it" and I suspect they would leave your guns alone if you told them to.
I exposed both of my kids to handguns when they were 13 and 15 years old. We go out shooting regularly, and they enjoy it immensely. They are almost 16 and 18 now, and they both can't wait until they can own their very own guns. Start 'em young. The younger, the better...
I agree with this and a couple years ago I introduced the kids to wine and hard cider and so now when their friends are out drinking they aren't bothered to go out to parties and get drunk. I've always maintained being honest and upfront with my children because kids just want honesty and to understand, they don't need us hiding things or sugar coating things for them. If you hide things from kids they will hide things from you because you taught them that in the first place.

SunShineShan82, you're way ahead of the game by joining this forum early, so instead of getting just one version, you can find out what nearly all competent gun owners agree on, and what things where there are lots of different opinions among experienced shooters that all have some validity.

If your kids are reliable and responsible, you might let them take courses and learn shooting too. In many rural families a boy would own a .22 rifle and maybe a shotgun of his own by age 12. I suggest the quick access safe even if your kids become shooters themselves. Because they will likely have friends who visit or at least know about your guns. And plenty of teenagers have depression that nobody knows about.
This is very true and very valid points in all regards. I believe my son would love to take some classes but i will have all 3 kids take classes once they open up. I am sure we will go shooting before classes open up.

@SunShineShan82

I had one of these back when I kept a pump action ready as a home defense option. It covers the trigger area so as to not be able to be fired. It's quick access and not electronic. No batteries to worry about. Secured to the wall, it would at least keep honest folk honest.

For your pistol, I have this guy in the closet. I keep my concealment pistol in it and a just in case home defense pistol in it. Would be good for an entry way closet, or a master bedroom closet.

7700 Flat Electronic Wall Safe .83 CF for Large Jewelry Security-Paragon Lock & Safe 7700 Flat Electronic Wall Safe .83 CF for Large Jewelry Security-Paragon Lock & Safe: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

02E23544-E373-4CBE-AC1F-2CBD028393EB.jpeg

@SunShineShan82

I had one of these back when I kept a pump action ready as a home defense option. It covers the trigger area so as to not be able to be fired. It's quick access and not electronic. No batteries to worry about. Secured to the wall, it would at least keep honest folk honest.

For your pistol, I have this guy in the closet. I keep my concealment pistol in it and a just in case home defense pistol in it. Would be good for an entry way closet, or a master bedroom closet.

7700 Flat Electronic Wall Safe .83 CF for Large Jewelry Security-Paragon Lock & Safe 7700 Flat Electronic Wall Safe .83 CF for Large Jewelry Security-Paragon Lock & Safe: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

View attachment 672449
Wow that shot lock is made in Sedro Wholly WA.

Looking for the recommendations for Smith and Wesson 380 defense ammo. I got some for the range but all other ammo was out of stock so I'm looking online now and I'm a new gun owner. Also best recommendations for a Remington 870 shotgun ammo too for defense. Thanks in advance!

~ Shan

for a shotty you cant go wrong with 00 buck

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews