JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does it taste like chicken?
It does oddly enough. Close enough anyway. I don't savor flavors too much as it is, I just shovel it in. I put it on rice and no one could tell it was squirrel until I told them. Boy were they surprised XD

squirrelonrice.jpg

Last night's Election Night fare:
BBQ chiggin tit, fresh steam baby carrots and broccoli, and an organic mixed spring greens artisan salad.
Old fashioneds all night long (I needed them)...
Election dinner.JPG

Sorry for the garbage picture, but I had squirrel. Not because I wanted it, but I made some traps and figured I may as well get back into trapping and getting my own meats. Hard times are a comin I'm sure of it. Already caught about a dozen or so and they're stored in the deep freezer now for a just in case.

Salted, peppered, a little Johnny's Seasoning Salt, and coated in honey mixed with Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce.

Easy trap, easy prep, easy eats. Stay safe out there, ya'll >:0

Anything you can share so that we can learn to make skinning etc easier?

PS, Sobo, you left a gun on the table buddy. Just sayin....my wife would be pretty suspicious of my intentions if I did that.

Anything you can share so that we can learn to make skinning etc easier?
I'm sure others have posted more details on that matter, but I found a sharp knife makes things simpler, and one with serrations or a saw of some sort. I use my USMC Serrated Ka-Bar fighting/utility knife. Makes quick work of squirrels and rabbits.

This is somewhat off topic, but I am curious.

Sobo, if this is too personal, I apologize. From your pictures, it appears you are single, divorced, or widowed. It is not often to see someone single take the time to prepare a dinner such as you do, let alone set a table with sides, condiments, etc. Most single people find doing all this for himself is too much work. Not to mention actually sitting at a table instead of in front of the TV or ipad.

I tip my hat and raise my glass to this. There is something comforting and and warm about this.

PS, Sobo, you left a gun on the table buddy. Just sayin....my wife would be pretty suspicious of my intentions if I did that.
Bill, I masticate my comestibles with a firearm on the table every day while at home.
It's either on the table within easy reach, or it's holstered on my person.
TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

That's a nice dining set. IKEA?
DD,
Not one single item on that table (inclusive) is from IKEA. Furthermore, not one single item in my home is from IKEA.
The dining table is from (the erstwhile) Furniture Row, (now) Denver Mattress Company, I believe.

All of the flatware, glassware, china, placemat and serviette, trivet, grinder, etc. is from a niche/kitchen specialty shop in the next town over from where I live.
I like to support the local brick and mortar businesses, and I am especially partial to all things food. :)

Last Edited:

Sobo, if this is too personal, I apologize. From your pictures, it appears you are single, divorced, or widowed. It is not often to see someone single take the time to prepare a dinner such as you do, let alone set a table with sides, condiments, etc. Most single people find doing all this for himself is too much work. Not to mention actually sitting at a table instead of in front of the TV or ipad.

I tip my hat and raise my glass to this. There is something comforting and and warm about this.
I'm happily single and I go all out for meals most the time too. Unless you count my dog.
DD,
Not one single item on that table (it inclusive) is from IKEA. Furthermore, not one single item in my home is from IKEA.
The dining table is from (erstwhile) Furniture Row, (now) Denver Mattress Company, I believe.

All of the flatware, glassware, china, placemat and serviette, trivet, grinder, etc. is from a niche/kitchen specialty shop in the next town over from where I live.
I like to support the local brick and mortar businesses, and I am especially partial to all things food. :)
Aw very good. I figured everything is IKEA these days since most folks I know go there. Not me though...

Last Edited:

Not at all, Jason and/or Deonna!
I am (happily) divorced 10 years this past summer. As mentioned above, I am especially partial to all things food--related.
I think that if I didn't go to this trouble, then I would just wallow in single-guy-slovenliness. Going the "extra mile" makes dinner delightful, even if I mostly dine alone.

And most here on this board already know that I do not have any paid subscription to TV. The only time my flat screen gets powered up is to watch a DVD or an old VCR.
Yes, I still have an old VCR player hooked up to my flat screen, just cuz I didn't feel like replacing all of the tapes with DVDs.
I feel that eating in front of a TV screen is the best recipe to becoming a veritable tub. I stridently separate my TV viewing and eating.

And after that lively discussion, here is tonight's fare!
Brazilian Steakhouse-marinated and grilled boneless pork loin, steamed baby carrots and broccoli, and an organic mixed spring greens artisan salad.
All washed down with a Washington red table wine. I will have a specialty-bakery blueberry tart with Breyer's Freedom vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, after I finish watching Threads. Hat tip to @Jasonanddeonna for turning me on to that flick. I started it before dinner, and figured I better eat before I got too engrossed within it...
dinner.JPG

Last Edited:
Girlfriend wanted steak, so stopped by the local Rosauer's and asked for their best ribeye. Got a thinner one for her and a thicker one for me, rubbed them in butter, seasoned with Corky's, and got the grill to 600 degrees.

It's easily the best steak I've had since moving here!

Incredibly tender and flavorful. Still not as good as Midwest beef, but it was pretty darn good, and only $15 each.

IMG_20201109_175812133.jpg

IMG_20201109_182650029.jpg

Not at all, Jason and/or Deonna!
I am (happily) divorced 10 years this past summer. As mentioned above, I am especially partial to all things food--related.
I think that if I didn't go to this trouble, then I would just wallow in single-guy-slovenliness. Going the "extra mile" makes dinner delightful, even if I mostly dine alone.

And most here on this board already know that I do not have any paid subscription to TV. The only time my flat screen gets powered up is to watch a DVD or an old VCR.
Yes, I still have an old VCR player hooked up to my flat screen, just cuz I didn't feel like replacing all of the tapes with DVDs.
I feel that eating in front of a TV screen is the best recipe to becoming a veritable tub. I stridently separate my TV viewing and eating.
This is wonderful. Thank you.

-Jason

And after that lively discussion, here is tonight's fare!
Brazilian Steakhouse-marinated and grilled boneless pork loin, steamed baby carrots and broccoli, and an organic mixed spring greens artisan salad.
All washed down with a Washington red table wine. I will have a specialty-bakery blueberry tart with Breyer's Freedom vanilla bean ice cream for dessert, after I finish watching Threads. Hat tip to @Jasonanddeonna for turning me on to that flick. I started it before dinner, and figured I better eat before I got too engrossed within it...
View attachment 774189
Heavens to Mergatroid! I don't know how far you got into it before dinner, but I hope it didn't ruin dinner? "Queezy rumbling in my stomach....shivers...."

Heavens to Mergatroid! I don't know how far you got into it before dinner, but I hope it didn't ruin dinner? "Queezy rumbling in my stomach....shivers...."
Oh, I had only gotten about 10 or 15 minutes into it before I decided I'd better stop it and make dinner first before I got too engrossed in it.
In fact, it was so close to the beginning that I just started it over after dinner. But I did skip the blueberry tart and just popped a bowl of pistachios for dessert.

Oh, and... "Exit, stage left!"
Snagglepuss_exit stage left.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany