JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have they been turned over and basted yet?
Nope, looked like the fire hadn't died down enough to put them on yet, which is why I said "20-25 minutes."
Gotta give it time to get some coals, then 5 minutes a side for three flips.

I don't cook over coals anymore myself. Went to a gas grill 5 years ago.
But @2Wheels4Ever is a purist. Ya gotta love his respect for tradition... :D

I do cheat with the smoker. Propane is is just nice, but nothing compares to grilling over charcoal! This vortex thing is pretty sweet. It's like BBQ fried Chicken.

IMG_20201204_175423867.jpg

I use charcoal in my old offset smoker. But I'm tired and thinking I might be about ready to move to a vertical pellet smoker.

When we get out to SD, wife and I have been discussing that we want to build an outdoor kitchen. Probably look to pipe in natural gas. I like the taste when using charcoal but it's just faster with gas ... so I've heard

The vortex is pretty versatile, it's hard to see but I used mine as a spacer for the coal when I smoked that pork loin. They also are killer for putting a sear on steaks/tri tip/ prime rib etc

Earlier tonight... Bourbon and brown sugar-marinated pork chops...

In progress:
Pork chops.JPG
Dinner is served! Said pork chop with steak fries and Sobo's secret sauce, steamed peas, an organic artisan mixed spring greens salad w/Italian dressing, and some house red and an Old Fashioned with which to wash it all down...
Dinner.JPG

Earlier tonight... Bourbon and brown sugar-marinated pork chops...

In progress:
View attachment 788348
Dinner is served! Said pork chop with steak fries and Sobo's secret sauce, steamed peas, an organic artisan mixed spring greens salad w/Italian dressing, and some house red and an Old Fashioned with which to wash it all down...
View attachment 788349

I eat my peas with honey.

I've done it all my life.

It makes the peas taste funny.

But it keeps them on my knife.
:)

I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker, and I made the best chicken I've ever eaten in my life, TWICE recently using this recipe:

Brine a whole chicken for two days. Brine is: 2/3 C salt, 2/3 C sugar, 1tbsp rosemary, 1 tbsp peppercorns. Cook this mixture to just barely boiling, or until all the salt & sugar is dissolved. Do this with only 2-3 cups water because you're going to add it to more water and you don't want the hot water to cook the chicken in any way.

To prep the chicken for the brine, thaw (if it's frozen), then remove giblets from inside of chicken and discard- or save them for whatever if you're into giblets. Rinse the chicken then place it into a large container that can fully submerge the chicken in the brine mix. Add the hot brine mix to some cold water, then pour over the chicken. Continue adding cold water until the chicken is fully submerged. Place the container in the refrigerator for two days.

When ready to cook the chicken, remove the chicken from the container and discard the brine. Remove the backbone from the chicken. I do this by using a handheld pruning shear- goes through it way easier than trying to use a knife or kitchen scissors. Flip the chicken over and give it firm press downward until it's fully splayed out. Get your hand in between the skin and the breast meat and separate it as much as possible without actually pulling the skin OFF the chicken. (We'll explain why in a sec.).

Now, here's where you can get as creative as you want for whatever flavor you want to impart into your chicken during the cook. I use this stuff as my rub:
1607876094928.png
You can use this, or go crazy with a home made rub, or a BBQ rub, or whatever. Whatever you use, make sure to sprinkle generously onto the breast meat UNDER the skin, AND all over the rest of the chicken, top and bottom. Once you're done with that, place chicken on your smoker and cook for 1½ hours at 350 degrees, or until the thickest part of the meat reads 165 degrees. I use apple pellets for this one.

After the cook is done I like to pull it off the grill, cover in foil, then cover with a large folded up towel and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.

For the final step it's best to have some waterproof, high heat resistant BBQ gloves- I like to just pull apart the chicken off the bones, and it comes off (or falls off) with ease. Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy the best chicken ever!

Rub Some Chicken.png
As opposed to choking it? Are you tellin' me I've been doin' it wrong all these years...??? o_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top