JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ps, no grill tonight. Made Poke bowl (raw tuna in a soy based sauce I made) with rice. Easy, healthy. Wife loves it.

Had dinner at the Wagon Wheel bar and grill in Potlatch, ID tonight with my dad and two women he's trying to set me up with.

I had a mediocre chicken cordon bleu sandwich and a nice conversation with two pleasant ladies that I suspect are lesbians. Never, ever let your 79 year old father try to set you up.

Why is your dad trying to set you up with a pair of (suspected) lesbians when you already have a GF? Are you not keeping him up on current events? o_O

Why is your dad trying to set you up with a pair of (suspected) lesbians when you already have a GF? Are you not keeping him up on current events? o_O
He's 79 and single and desperate for a woman. I suspect it occupies a fair amount of his mental energy. The woman he tried to set me up with kept her horse at his pasture over the summer. She's in her late 40's, from Alaska, a licensed bush pilot, and never been married or had any kids. When she rejected his overtures, he thought maybe she'd be interested in me. So he invited her and her "friend", a 26yr old vegan from Riverside, CA to dinner with me and him.

From his description of them, I pegged them as lesbians.

Dinner was pleasant and they are very nice. I got the impression that they entertain my father's company because they feel a bit of sympathy for him and he's a great story teller of his glory days when he was a bush pilot, big game hunter, and owner of a chain of sporting goods stores.

I was worried that they were trying to scam him for money, but I think they just feel sorry for him and actually enjoy his company.

I told my GF about the whole thing and she thought it was hilarious, but a bit hurt that he didn't think she was "good enough" for me.

@HaveGun
My question was meant to be rhetorical, and I wasn't expecting an answer.
But given your reply, I was all set to react with a Love emoji until I read the final clause.
I'm sorry to read your father feels that way about your girlfriend. :(

Did you know it's against state law to operate a charcoal grill at a rental property in Oregon?
Since l couldn't find a suitable house to buy, I'm renting a duplex until l can find something more permanent.
Until such a time, my grill is on hiatus (in storage) and l have a new toy... an air fryer.
It's technically a countertop convection oven which is technically an oven with a fan to circulate and exhaust the heat.
Put a couple of rib eyes in it yesterday and they turned out fantastic: a perfect medium rare, consistent cook with no flipping or turning.
I've done up lots of goodies from the frozen food aisle that I'd normally avoid cooking in the oven (fries, poppers, mozz sticks, etc) because they just don't cook right in the regular oven. The circulation of hot air cooks stuff from all sides evenly, l guess that's where the name "air fryer" comes from.
Next week I'm taking a shot at rotisserie chicken. I highly recommend one of these things, and l further recommend getting the geegaws that are sometimes optional: rotisserie, temp probe, fryer basket... they make the thing that much more useful.

Last Edited:
Did you know it's against state law to operate a charcoal grill at a rental property in Oregon?
Since l couldn't find a suitable house to buy, I'm renting a duplex until l can find something more permanent.
Until such a time, my grill is on hiatus (in storage) and l have a new toy... an air fryer.
It's technically a countertop convection oven which is technically an oven with a fan to circulate and exhaust the heat.
Put a couple of rib eyes in it yesterday and they turned out fantastic: a perfect medium rare, consistent cook with no flipping or turning.
I've done up lots of goodies from the frozen food aisle that I'd normally avoid cooking in the oven (fries, poppers, mozz sticks, etc) because they just don't cook right in the regular oven. The circulation of hot air cooks stuff from all sides evenly, l guess that's where the name "air fryer" comes from.
Next week I'm taking a shot at rotisserie chicken. I highly recommend one of these things, and l further recommendations getting the geegaws that are sometimes optional: rotisserie, temp probe, fryer basket... they make the thing that much more useful.

On our recent vacation the place we stayed had a convection oven. Boy Howdy! I'm sold! I do about 95% of the cooking. I've been curious of convection ovens. After cooking a plain old quartered, seasoned, chicken in one I'm sold. When our current stove goes TU enough, I'll go convection. Convection cooking is why you cant make the COSTCO chicken bakes or pizza as good at home.

an air fryer.
Blasphemy.jpg

Convection cooking is why you cant make the COSTCO chicken bakes or pizza as good at home.
... or fries or tots or egg rolls or just about anything else that's supposed to be deep fried but says you can heat em in the oven. @sobo, you can always spray em down with oil if you want, to be more authentic... it's crossed my mind :s0114:, probably helps the salt to stick better too.

We left the scuzzy deep fryer, with it's rancid oil, in the dumpity-do-dah back in Portland... nobody ever wanted to do the clean-up so it got used a few times and sat, unmolested, for over a year. Gross. This thing makes perfect bacon too... l haven't progressed too far beyond the basics yet.

Since it's just gonna be two of us, I'm thinking about doing a turkey breast, rotisserie style, on Thanksgiving. Not sure how to handle the gravy yet, won't be much for drippings that way.

... or fries or tots or egg rolls or just about anything else that's supposed to be deep fried but says you can heat em in the oven. @sobo, you can always spray em down with oil if you want, to be more authentic... it's crossed my mind :s0114:, probably helps the salt to stick better too.

We left the scuzzy deep fryer, with it's rancid oil, in the dumpity-do-dah back in Portland... nobody ever wanted to do the clean-up so it got used a few times and sat, unmolested, for over a year. Gross. This thing makes perfect bacon too... l haven't progressed too far beyond the basics yet.

Since it's just gonna be two of us, I'm thinking about doing a turkey breast, rotisserie style, on Thanksgiving. Not sure how to handle the gravy yet, won't be much for drippings that way.

I don't have counter space for one for those grossly over priced, heating element in a metal box W/fan, "Air Fryers". They have some similar issues keeping clean as a deep fryer. I noticed THAT looking at the "Eagle Bargain Outlet" store where COSTCO sells all their surpluses, open package, returns, things didn't sell, at discounted prices. The returned air fryers are pretty gross and look hard to clean thoroughly.

Last Edited:
I don't have counter space for one for those grossly over priced, heating element in a metal box W/fan, "Air Fryers". They have some similar issues keeping clean as a deep fryer. I noticed THAT looking at the "Eagle Bargain Outlet" store where COSTCO sells all their surpluses, open package, returns, things didn't sell, at discounted prices. The returned air fryers are pretty gross and look hard to clean thoroughly.
Foil is your friend.

Well, tonight I am guilty of...
Blasphemy.jpg
...cuz instead of grillin' out tonight, I bought a new wok and decided to make...

Mongorian beef and lice! With a sweet vermouth martini!
Mongolian beef.JPG
I had an extra dry martini before dinner, then this (sweet) martini with dinner, and finally a dirty martini after dinner with some homemade fudge.
Question: Should I stop at three? Askin' for a friend... o_O

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top