JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Summer 1985, Boulder to Detroit in 24 hours for a family emergency. Took a nap somewhere around Des Moines, Iowa. No idea how far, I'd never do it again.
I did Co. Springs to Grand Rapids Mi in 24 one time. @1200-1250 miles. Actual driving time, P-breaks and maybe a cat nap or two in rest areas on I-80. I was in a hurry cuz my Dad was dying... In a slant-6 Dodge Dart (anyone remember those?)...
I was young and had that "immortality of youth" thing going on...

I did Co. Springs to Grand Rapids Mi in 24 one time. @1200-1250 miles. Actual driving time, P-breaks and maybe a cat nap or two in rest areas on I-80. I was in a hurry cuz my Dad was dying... In a slant-6 Dodge Dart (anyone remember those?)...
I was young and had that "immortality of youth" thing going on...
Mine was a '76 VW rabbit POS. Slept in a rest area because the rain was coming down in buckets.
Drove around and partied in a Green Dart all through high school.
You couldn't kill those slant sixes

Living in Palm Springs CA in 2010 and got a call from my mom on a Sat morning saying my dad passed away unexpectedly during the night in McMinnville Or.
IIRC it's just over 1,000 miles and we managed to make it in just under 14 hrs, I don't remember much about the trip other than skipping LA traffic and going up through Bakersfield and using 99 to back to the 5. There were stretches on 99 that we were doing 120-130. Seemed like it only took a few hrs. Kind of weird how quick it went.

About 1400 from Kootenai county ID to Layton UT and back in under 24. Got up at midnite and hit the road, picked up a new trailer in Layton around mid day and made it home sameday. Terrible windy Nov day in 2021 then at about Butte on the way back ran into a blizzard.

Had a longer trip (1700 miles)earlier that year I drove almost non stop to Yuba City CA and back to pick up a new Honda sxs. Left town Friday about 5 in the pm drove through the night, stopped for a couple hours in the am in Redding, couldn't sleep, made it to YC midday Sat. Loaded up the sxs and headed home, missed my turn in Madras and ended up with some extra miles detouring by Mt Hood. Got home around 9ish Sunday am.

FJ rolled over 250000 on the CA trip.

IMG_0164.jpeg

Just a few years ago for a family member... Key Largo, FL to Salem, OR in a u-haul van in 3 days. Right about a 3300 mile trip. No more than 2 hour naps... in the cab and only stopping for fuel, snacks, coffee and bodily functions.

Of course... I slept almost 18hrs straight upon arrival and I don't care who it's for... I'll never do that again!👍

In my younger days there were several times a year making the drive from OR over to Salt Lake City, UT and back again in one go. Timed to arrive when the business opened it's doors, loaded up product and turned right back around to head home again. About 800 miles each direction.

Edit: I just remembered a "funny" from that FL drive. About 2/3rds the way home I was pulling a power nap in a rest stop at least 30miles from any town. I was awoken by paramedics banging on my window. Evidently I was looking a bit road worn. Sitting up in the driver seat with my head flopped back and my mouth open for more than an hour... concerned citizens reported a dead body in a u-haul. :s0140:

Last Edited:
Longest in one sitting for me was San Diego to Oklahoma City, about 1400 miles. I was about to deploy to Iraq and didn't wanna pay to store my car on base so I decided to drive it from California back to Kentucky and store it at my dads place. I drove my car and a buddy I was deploying with drove his. We took the I40 all the way to Tennessee, then I headed north, he continued on to the end of the I40 in Wilmington NC.

East St. Louis, MO to Green River, WY (1194 miles) driving with my brother in my sister-in-law's Daewoo Lanos 3-door hatchback. He was deploying to Iraq for the first time and wanted to spend as much time with his wife and young son before heading out. December 2004...

1,850 miles from Memphis to San Diego in 26 hours. Once.
National speed limit was 55 at the time, my average was 71 even when I was sitting in diners chugging coffee. The big deal about that trip was getting home and sleeping 16 hours without getting up to pee.

1,050 miles between Portland and San Diego, a trip I made probably 3 dozen times last century, typically took 15 hours. Average speed 70, even sitting still.

Made that journey here and back one summer stretched over the tank of a 500 twin cafe racer. Beat the crap out of me.

I typically left Portland mid-morning on New Years Day, hitting LA on I-5 sometime around 2-3 am on Jan 2nd (when everyone was home, nursing hangovers I suppose). On two of those trips (circa mid-90s) I woke my family up in Los Angeles and Anaheim to see empty freeways ahead of us and behind. Flippin' eerie.
"sitting...sitting still"
I see what you did there!

Joe

I used to regularly take my kids to see their other parent in an 800-mile round trip. Every 3-day weekend and vacation started with an 800-mile round trip. And then another 800 miles to pick them up. I was sure glad when they got old enough that the courts stopped forcing this. DR

mid eightys double nickel speed limit had to go from pocatello idaho to Cheyenne wyo.to get a load of fertilizer left poky at 0200 got to cheyenne at 1300 ,loaded my load, headed back, stopped at Whamsutter wyo. for dinner was home in bed at 2300 hours. just over 1000 miles in 21 hours. the same trip took me and a co driver 25 hours a few days earlier.

Just a few years ago for a family member... Key Largo, FL to Salem, OR in a u-haul van in 3 days. Right about a 3300 mile trip. No more than 2 hour naps... in the cab and only stopping for fuel, snacks, coffee and bodily functions.

Of course... I slept almost 18hrs straight upon arrival and I don't care who it's for... I'll never do that again!👍

In my younger days there were several times a year making the drive from OR over to Salt Lake City, UT and back again in one go. Timed to arrive when the business opened it's doors, loaded up product and turned right back around to head home again. About 800 miles each direction.

Edit: I just remembered a "funny" from that FL drive. About 2/3rds the way home I was pulling a power nap in a rest stop at least 30miles from any town. I was awoken by paramedics banging on my window. Evidently I was looking a bit road worn. Sitting up in the driver seat with my head flopped back and my mouth open for more than an hour... concerned citizens reported a dead body in a u-haul. :s0140:
I did one of those, a couple of times in the mid 2000's…. Best record was Tampa to Beaverton in 61 hours. Minimal sleep, maximum driving. Did that trip in a '92 Volvo 740, dang things were tanks…. No way I'd ever do that today…. Lost that part of my adventurousness…

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top