JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For my Christmas vacation, I made a road trip to Colorado to visit my sister's family (I am very close to my sister since our father suddenly died when we were little kids and I was her big protective brother). On my way back, the first day I drove from Boulder to Sheridan, WY and I slept overnight in a hotel in Sheridan. The second day I made it straight from Sheridan to Seattle. That is 950 miles in one day. On I-90 in MT I was charging 120 miles/hour at some point. I am someone who always drives very fast, and yet in my 33 years of driving I have never had an accident with a car. I did smash a Ducati 900cc and almost killed myself when I lived in Italy.
What is the longest milage you made in a single day?

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

Mazatlan to San Diego. Took just over 24 hours to go 1100 miles. But it isn't just the miles. It's the type of miles. Driving in Mexico is NOT like driving in the US.

Pro Tip: Make sure you check the tree in Mexico that you're about to park under to ensure there are not any iguanas in it. They look cool and all...but I assure that if you think parking under pigeons is bad, you have no idea what's in store for you, parking under iguanas. Holy hell.

Choose wisely...and may the odds be ever in your favor.

1,850 miles from Memphis to San Diego in 26 hours. Once.
National speed limit was 55 at the time, my average was 71 even when I was sitting in diners chugging coffee. The big deal about that trip was getting home and sleeping 16 hours without getting up to pee.

1,050 miles between Portland and San Diego, a trip I made probably 3 dozen times last century, typically took 15 hours. Average speed 70, even sitting still.

Made that journey here and back one summer stretched over the tank of a 500 twin cafe racer. Beat the crap out of me.

I typically left Portland mid-morning on New Years Day, hitting LA on I-5 sometime around 2-3 am on Jan 2nd (when everyone was home, nursing hangovers I suppose). On two of those trips (circa mid-90s) I woke my family up in Los Angeles and Anaheim to see empty freeways ahead of us and behind. Flippin' eerie.

Last Edited:
I think it was somewhere between Ellsworth AFB town in one of the Dakotas, and Monmouth that I decided to just keep going because my parents gave me the wrong address for a hotel in Spokane that I never found... I probably stopped for naps and gas several times between but that was back in May 2007? Otherwise.. summer 2003, from Havelock NC where I had just finished a 10 week paid internship all the way up to Rochester NY where I went to school in one go, no overnight stays, just gas and meal stops.

Edit. 1,277 miles from Ellsworth area to Monmouth Oregon. Only 722 miles between Havelock and Rochester NY.

About 1450 miles a little over 24 hours straight from Chandler AZ to Vancouver WA. With a 2007 lifted Chevy 2500 duramax. Pulling a big U-Haul trailer full of all my worldly possessions. I was excited cause I never saw the ocean so I cut across the siskiyou pass to see the sunrise on the ocean, then made my way back across the pass to I5 to finish the trip.
I got to my now wife's family's home and proceeded to sleep for almost a full day !!! Too many red bulls/monsters and hydroxy cut pills to count !!!!
I'd never do it again.

In my late 20's, about twice a year I'd drive from Mesa, AZ to Lynnwood, WA non-stop for a few years. My employer at the time was in the Seattle area, and they had recruited me away from my home in AZ. Unfortunately, I stayed here :(
Mapquest said that trip should be about 26 hours at the time. I frequently maintained speeds above 90mph for as long as possible to get the trip done in under 23 hours. My timing was usually pretty good to miss rush hour in the major cities I drove through. I did that in my 1995 Acura Legend, the best road trip car I ever owned.

We are currently planning a trip from the Seattle area to Las Vegas and Jerome, AZ. I told my wife I can get to Vegas in one day. Problem is, my son and wife don't have that kind of endurance. So we will stop in Salt Lake. I love road trips, grew up road tripping, and prefer it to flying for the Western half of the USA.

I never checked the distance til now. It's 444 miles one way from West Linn, OR to Red Bluff, CA.
We left home at 6:30 am driving our beautiful and very comfortable 87 Jaguar XJ6 making it 2 miles past Red Bluff until the head gasket gave up. Got the car towed back to Red Bluff, rented a U-Haul truck and trailer and made the 444 miles back to West Linn, pulling in about 1:30am.

So, I'll say 890 miles.

When I lived in Seattle I made the same drive as the OP to go see my sister in Aurora a few times. On one of the return trips I drove it straight through with only a couple restroom stops. I probably wouldn't do it again though, it's not fun to drive 20+ hours straight. :D

1,850 miles from Memphis to San Diego in 26 hours. Once.
National speed limit was 55 at the time, my average was 71 even when I was sitting in diners chugging coffee. The big deal about that trip was getting home and sleeping 16 hours without getting up to pee.

1,050 miles between Portland and San Diego, a trip I made probably 3 dozen times last century, typically took 15 hours. Average speed 70, even sitting still.

Made that journey here and back one summer stretched over the tank of a 500 twin cafe racer. Beat the crap out of me.

I typically left Portland mid-morning on New Years Day, hitting LA on I-5 sometime around 2-3 am on Jan 2nd (when everyone was home, nursing hangovers I suppose). On two of those trips (circa mid-90s) I woke my family up in Los Angeles and Anaheim to see empty freeways ahead of us and behind. Flippin' eerie.
So far, you made the longest distance, although not within 24h. However, 1,850 miles/26hours is impressive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top