JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went out shooting with my grandfather, uncle, and several other relatives a while back. I don't see my family often, and this was a very special occasion for us. We went out to a gravel pit, and everyone pulled out what they had brought to shoot (bragging about this one and that), and then came the cooler filled with beer, of which some had already been drank. Guns were being passed to eachother without being cleared, people were setting up targets while others had loaded guns in their hand. It was really cringe worthy. I didn't want to say anything because I am already kind of a blacksheep in that I graduated from college and have a professional career, and I am very self-conscious about not acting like I am better than them.

I guess I had forgotten that component to my childhood memories of shooting with the family, alcohal was always involved then too. Is it just that they came up during another time? I remember not wearing seatbelts, and my parents driving with one hand with a beer in the other. It was accepted back then, they even waved to officers with the beer hand. Is this the same? I don't want to seem disrespectful, or holier than thou with my extended family. What do you think?

Learn from current awareness. I will not go shooting with anyone who shows any signs of any irresponsible nature. If safety is really #1 then act upon it.

It's just too bad. I really do enjoy being out with these guys, but I definately wouldn't take my kids out with them. So I guess that should be my clue that I probably shouldn't be there either.

In regards to firearms, you don't get a second chance or a mulligan. If someone has an a.d. and someone gets hurt, you can't take it back. If there are issues with some of the folks you shoot with, maybe forget to invite them next time or maybe on another occasion when you aren't shooting, bring up the subject and your thoughs on responsible firearms handling. Your personal safety is paramount with whoever you shoot with. Don't feel bad about sticking to your beliefs.:s0155:

Honestly, I have no real problem with drinking a couple beers while plinking. Alot of people do it. Its not like ur taking shots of tequila, one after the other. A few beers is nothing to me a my buddys. And when I say a few beers, I mean like 2 or 3, not 9...

Now on some of the safety issues you mentioned... :s0154:

if your uncomfortable then I would mention something, doesn't have to be right then while your shooting, but whether they agree or not, they should at least know how you feel about the situation. I'm comfortable with having a beer or two (no more than that though) with the few people I regularly shoot with because were all responsible people. Just let em' know how ya feel and if they can't at least see your side of things then I guess it's time to make a decision.

IMO, guns and beer and/or booze, in any quantity, don't mix. Once the beer came out, I'd pack it up and leave for the day, and I would not return to the gravel pit under similar circumstances. I also wouldn't make a big deal out of it. But if someone asked, I'd be honest with them and tell them why they won't see me out there again in conditions remained the same. If that made me more of a family black sheep, it's a title I'd rather wear alive than dead.

Like the next guy I like a beer or two now and then, or a glass of wine, scotch. But..................never while shooting. Thats asking for disaster and I avoid the risk.

I would have to avoid going out with that crowd. Too dangerous!

I always feel safe with my shooting friends::D

RedneckSpecialForces-1.jpg

Honestly, I have no real problem with drinking a couple beers while plinking. Alot of people do it. Its not like ur taking shots of tequila, one after the other. A few beers is nothing to me a my buddys. And when I say a few beers, I mean like 2 or 3, not 9...

Now on some of the safety issues you mentioned... :s0154:

I guess if i was shooting by myself on a baking hot day i might have one cool beer. If i then sent a round into myself i would, assuming i survived, feel like a right arsewit and curse myself for being so stupid.... but if i was drinking and sent a round into someone else, that i could never forgive myself for....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top