JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What should I do next?

• Buy an AK47 in 7.62x39

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Buy an AK46 in 5.56

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Buy Zastava M85 pistol in 5.56

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Build a 9mm AR

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Upgrade existing

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Stop complaining!

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters
I voted for buying an AK in 7.62x39. I try to keep calibers condensed as well, but if there's one gun worth adding a caliber for the AK is it. I prefer the cheaper models, WASR10, MAC90, etc. While the high end models are nice, if I had $1k to spend it'd be an AR-platform gun.

@Reno911, just get the AK47! Everyone ought to have a few guns. And two of those few include an AR15, (which I know you have), and an AK47.

I bring my Polish AK to clean-up today. You come and shoot, eh comrade?

I am the only one that voted for the Zestava M85. I did so for a couple of reasons. Since you already have the AR platform in 5.56. Put a brace on it and use it how ever. Another note. 5.56 Galil mags snap right in a M85 all day long. How do I know this....I own one. But it does not stop there. I have AK's in 7.62 as well as 5.45. My 9mm carbine is an Uzi.

Buy an AK47. When I bought mine, I also bought 2k of Wolf ammo to put away, and some Red Army Standard to shoot. I've since bought more to shoot. I love the AK. I also love my AR's, and reload a lot of 5.56 but have no plans at this time to reload 7.62x39. I just buy any of that steel cased ammo, all of which the AK loves, and shoot the heck out of it. I'm not one of those guys to get into a debate, I like my Glock and my 1911, I like my ARs and my AK, hmmm, I guess I just kinda like most every firearm I have.

I disagree,I could always get more accuracy(and less recoil)out of my AK's than any of the Mosins I've owned.(bought a couple when they were still $99) Imo if you want a good backup to an AK you get a PPSH 41, PPS42,Makarov,Tokarev,Glock or Skorpion VZ61.
Woo-hoo Papa-Shu!! Crank out mayhem.

So I am still up in the the air.

For now I think I am going to hold onto the extra dough and mull it over a bit longer.

May jut spend a little on that Kidd trigger and call it a day.

Damn you AK47 for being so freaking tempting right now....

I went a slightly different route and bought a mint in box VZ-2008 (VZ58 clone) for only $325.00 and it fills in that gap between an AR15 and AK47.
The only complaint that I have is the hand guard gets a little hot, so one of these days I'm going to fit an original pistol grip under the hand guard, or just wrap some sort of heat tape around the barrel.

• All vz. 58 rifles possess a milled receiver; the vast majority of AK-47s are stamped.
  • Even with the milled receiver it is almost one pound lighter than a stamped AK-47.
  • The bolt of the vz. 58 stays open after the last round in the magazine has been fired.
  • The vz. 58 can be reloaded with stripper clips while the magazine is inserted in the rifle.
  • The safety is more ergonomic making a faster first shot possible with the vz. 58.
  • The ejection port is HUGE. There is no chance of an empty case getting stuck in the action of the vz. 58.
  • The vz. 58 gas piston can be removed or exchanged without tools.
  • The alloy magazine of the vz. 58 is half the weight of the steel AK-47 magazine.
  • The vz. 58 is striker fired unlike the hammer fired AK-47. This reduces the number of parts and possible points of failure.

I ended up going in a completely random route LOL.

I did pick up a few sets of better sights for a few pistols like I said I needed in the 1st post.

So I sort of did some upgrading.

Here's the twist...

I picked up a 300 black?!?

Yep a single shot AAC Handi!

Couldn't pass it up for the price so. I now have another freaking caliber. Funny thing is, all I needed other then the gun was a set of dies, as I already have collected brass, small pistol primers, and a bunch of 308 bullets. I even have a box of 220 grain SMK that will finally go to good use.

So now I have my "NEW" project to keep me busy!

I'm going to see how fast I can get a heavy slug going through this rifle.

I still want an AK, it will likely happen in time. Maybe...

But for now I got a new project to keep my mind at ease. As well as three pistols with upgraded sights.

Resurrecting old thread!

Ended up getting a M85 in 556 and building a 9mm AR.

Funny how things work out.

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews