JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What should I do next?

• Buy an AK47 in 7.62x39

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Buy an AK46 in 5.56

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Buy Zastava M85 pistol in 5.56

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Build a 9mm AR

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Upgrade existing

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Stop complaining!

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters
I've held the carbine and it is quite nice. I've owned a CX4 storm. I won't go towards another 9mm carbine unless it utilizes the Glock mags. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me to buy into another platform and have to buy a bunch of stuff for it.

I say this and I'm considering an AK. Durp... Mostly want the AK just to have. Kind of like the idea of owning one. May not get shot a lot. Just owning it would feel nice type of thing. When I owned a VEPR in 54r or the Saiga in 12g it didn't feel like I've owned an AK.

I did have a SKS way back when, not a bad mention @Joe13 They are simple and robust. Internal mag so I wouldn't have to buy mags. If only they weren't 100 away from an AK47 in price. At 350-400 an AK is too logical to turn down for an extra hundred.

If I found a nice SKS in the 250-300 I'd jump on it. Bring back memories. That and I'd shoot it less being one 10 round internal mag at a time.

Ahh gotcha - I was trying to infer that since the SKS's are so fun, the small jump up to an AK would be my choice if I had plenty of AR's and the money to get one;).

Too bad the market for the SkS went nutso with the prepping people touting it as the end all be all of cheap guns (not so cheap anymore...).

I've held the carbine and it is quite nice. I've owned a CX4 storm. I won't go towards another 9mm carbine unless it utilizes the Glock mags. Just doesn't seem to make sense to me to buy into another platform and have to buy a bunch of stuff for it.

I say this and I'm considering an AK. Durp... Mostly want the AK just to have. Kind of like the idea of owning one. May not get shot a lot. Just owning it would feel nice type of thing. When I owned a VEPR in 54r or the Saiga in 12g it didn't feel like I've owned an AK.

I did have a SKS way back when, not a bad mention @Joe13 They are simple and robust. Internal mag so I wouldn't have to buy mags. If only they weren't 100 away from an AK47 in price. At 350-400 an AK is too logical to turn down for an extra hundred.

If I found a nice SKS in the 250-300 I'd jump on it. Bring back memories. That and I'd shoot it less being one 10 round internal mag at a time.
You really should get an AK if you don't have one. But just so you know, 30rd Scorpion mags are $20 at CZ-USA. Just sayin'. :)

My vote is AK in 7.62x39,get one and you'll see why they have such a reputation for reliability.
That said if you already have an SKS I would buy a bullpup stock for it,have the barrel cut down to 16 inches(or less if you want an SBR)and have the barrel threaded while retaining the original front sight,been toying with idea for a while I might have to do it.

I voted to upgrade but I had to think about it a bit.

I have AKs and love them but I bought Arsenal SGL-20s when they where 499. Now at 1000 they (in my opinion) are not worth it and most of the new less expensive ones seem to have issues with trunnions not being heat treated right. This may have been corrected by now but I am still leery.

Reloading for the 7.62 is costly to set up because of the brass more than the bullets and like you said its one more caliber to stock up for. I am not a fan of the 5.56 AKs unless it is an Israeli Galil I know they work.

I like the Idea of a 9mm carbine and have been trying to tell myself to build one for about 4 years now then I can use it on steel hand gun plates were the .223 turns them into Swiss cheese.

So I do like that option but you already have the Sub 2000 so you're covered with a 9 carbine.

So even though it is not as cool as a new gun I voted for upgrades.

But I do understand the want of a new toy; it's a hard choice good luck.

My only AK earned permanent residency in my safe after a day at the range last weekend.
When I originally pulled it out and blew the dust of it, I considered selling it. Not any more!

I've always wanted an AK but didn't want to add another caliber. I primary shoot and reload in bulk 9mm and 223/556. I've got plenty of ARs a Sub2k and all sorts of ammo. However I'm getting that itch to get something new, or I'm just bored and need to get kicked in the butt.

I could use a few sets of better than plastic Glock sights on a few guns. Perhaps a few other things that would improve an otherwise already perfectly functional firearm.

Just looking to get some help pushing me off my arse and see what your thoughts are.

That was my exact sentiment regarding the 9mm I recently acquired. Like I need another caliber and all of the logistics that go with it... lol.

So you could get a rifle setup as an SBR through NFA then add a bunch of different uppers to it. That's what I'm in the process of doing. Suppressed 556, 300 blackout and 9mm are in play for me.

I read that at a few places. That was reason to give it a real fair chance before it got liquidated! Then find out later I wished still had it!

I was just in the same dilema... I didnt want to add a caliber but wanted a little more punch than my AR (5.56) So.... I bought a 7.62x39 upper for the multical lower I had and built an AR47... or is it an AK15?... Ill be testing it out after the Mt hood cleanup this weekend, If i get it done and ready to go.

@Reno911 You should change your poll so I can vote for you to get an AR10. 7.62x51 is a game changer compared to anything you can shoot out of an AK or AR-15 platform.

Also there is no such thing as plenty of ammo, unless you have enough to sink a Battleship.

Final thought - how are you set up for reloading equipment and supplies?

@Reno911 You should change your poll so I can vote for you to get an AR10. 7.62x51 is a game changer compared to anything you can shoot out of an AK or AR-15 platform.

Also there is no such thing as plenty of ammo, unless you have enough to sink a Battleship.

Final thought - how are you set up for reloading equipment and supplies?

I've got a 700 set up in 308. Have shot to 1258 yards with it. Never really wanted to go semi in 308. I feel like I've covered that category.

I'm good in terms of reloading.

I'm slowly leaning forwards just upgrading existing.

Bought a nice set of competition type sights for one of the Glocks and it might have sparked the movement. That and I really freaking want to get that Kidd trigger for my modded 10/22. Almost the price of another 10/22, but damn does a 1.5 pound pull feel great on a lightweight 22.

I'll likely not give up on the idea of getting an AK eventually. Just hope I don't wait too long to get them when they are this inexpensive.

The only gun more for the ultimate back-up is a Mosin rifle.
I disagree,I could always get more accuracy(and less recoil)out of my AK's than any of the Mosins I've owned.(bought a couple when they were still $99) Imo if you want a good backup to an AK you get a PPSH 41, PPS42,Makarov,Tokarev,Glock or Skorpion VZ61.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top