JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not on your list, but maybe a lever gun.

I have a revolver and a rifle that both shoot .38, .38+P and .357 magnum. Both guns shoot random mixes of whatever you put in them, which is great for anti-flinch training, though that's hardly an issue with the rifle.

You did mention .44 mag, which could also be a pistol or a lever gun, or both. They shoot .44 special and .44 mag. Buy two!

Kids with baggy pants and horrible taste in music spew nonsenical blabber about OG ("original gangsta") assault weps. So do the dimwits on Capitol Hill.

H*ll, the cowboys had that all figured out over a century ago. Anything tube fed with a side feed slot can be fired, chambered, loaded, and fired some more, in any order, without ever dropping out the magazine. With just a little practice and a pocketful of rounds, a well-handled lever gun is an awesome thing to behold.

And if you like the vintage vibe like me, they're very mechanically satisfying.

Ok, lets say I did decide to get a lever gun in .38/357. What model would you recommend?

I'm a Marlin fan. They have been made in the USA for about 120 years continuously (until this year). I saw one in .44 mag a week ago at Rapid Fire in Sandy. I have one of those and I love it. They also had one in 45-70 and one in 45 colt. An older Winchester would be nice if you can find one, but a fairly clean one will run about $1k.

Ok, lets say I did decide to get a lever gun in .38/357. What model would you recommend?
I like my Marlins in 357 mag and 44 mag. Both are deadly accurate and just get smoother with every round chambered.

The significantly older 44 mag has a much nicer wood grain. I'm told my 4-5 year old 357 is a cheapie "Big-5" model, which figures since that's where I got it. The wood on that one has all the charm of a forlift pallet. Love it anyway, but I'll get an older one if I find it 'cause I prefer vintage toys.

Both are excellent shooters and the little one is cheap to feed.

Watch out for sharp triggers on lever guns. Until I learned to move my index finger out of the way during fast lever cycling, I bruised myself pretty good. You only do that a couple times. A buddy of mine bled when I failed to warn him, and he had to go play drums at a gig that night. Oops!

Oooooh.....

I forgot about an M1 Garand from CMP.....
Just ordered up one for myself since my birthday is only 10 months away. Always wanted one and this will be my first. As far as lever guns go, I have a Marlin 30-30 and it's a fine rifle but Winchesters just look so pretty!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top