Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What Scope to use?!?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by varmintman, Jan 11, 2012.

1. varmintman

varmintman Oregon City Member

So I just invested in a R-25 (ar10 .308) and im trying to figure out what scope I should use... I feel like all I really need is a 3x9x50 but im also thinking what if I want to shoot over 400 yrds... Somone Push me over the edge and give me your feedback of what you think would be good so I can stop overthinking and just pick one. haha THANKS GUYS!

2. varmintman

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Trijicon accupoint 3x9x40

Leupold VX 2 3x9x40

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

The 3-9 is tried and true for sure.

I end up running most of my guns at 10x since it is where mil marks actually work. This means going to something like a 3-12 or a 4-14. While I dont turn the power down often it is nice to have the ability to so I dont go with fixed 10x.

5. varmintman

So let me put it this way and get a majority vote. If it was your gun what would you put on it. I will probably go with a 3x9 but am still curious

6. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

4x12 for the longer shots:thumbup:

7. Nwcid

varmintman and (deleted member) like this.
  8. varmintman

Ok. Now I have to find a scope and brand that fits my needs. Performance and budget :D

9. Nwcid

I understand. It seems like I have really good glass on the guns that get used most and for serious use. Or really cheep ~$150 on everything else. Trust me if I could afford it I would have glass like this on everything because it DOES make a difference. The scope in the pic replaced a ~$200 scope that was on it for several years. It was hard the first time I spent that much money on a scope but once you have you will know the difference.

10. varmintman

Yea I'm 23 and single with a son. I dont have that much money for a scope :p I wish I did because its true you get what you pay for. Im gonna look into leupold and Nikon.

11. Nwcid

Didnt mean that to sound snooty if it did. I was just commenting in general.

12. varmintman

Oh no. Not at all. If I could afford one I would be all over it :D I do appreciate the feedback :)

13. bulzeye

bulzeye scappoose Member

what is your budget?

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  14. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

bushnell has pretty good glass in there elite line.

15. FortRock

FortRock Bend/Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Check out Opticsplanet.com, enter your price range and cruise. There is some great glass out there. Burris, Nikon, and Vortex (among others) give you a lot for your money. Burris has some interesting new products.

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

17. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Doubt if you can tell any difference in a quality scope between 50 and 40mm objective lenses with a 1in tube. Only so much light can get thru....Advantages: alot more compact, lower rings required =better cheek 'weld', less reflection from the front, when you may not want to be seen. 30 mm tube, another story.

18. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

For the .308/7.62 AR platform, 400 yd shooting is really just mid range. These platforms, no matter what brand, tend to be tack drivers out to 800yds with little custom work done.

I have used a few of the $400-600 Nikons and was not that impressed. Comparing them to the Mueller 3-10X44 TAC II I have been using on my M1A for several years, they had zero improvement in clarity, in fact the $400 model was not as clear as the Mueller that cost me $270, ($310 list)

SWFA Mueller Riflescopes Mueller Tac II Riflescopes

Another really good medium cost scope is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA. I have been using one for about six months now and it's the best $400 I have spent on a scope. You can get the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA for even less.

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Dead-Hold BDC

19. bulzeye

bulzeye scappoose Member

if i'm not mistaken the tube size does very little for light transmission. zeiss and leica scopes have an amazing amount of light transmission with 1" tubes and have for years. the objective size does more for light transmission than the tube size.

20. varmintman

I will look at all of these! I was looking anywhere from 300 to 500 within reason. I have heard good things from Vortex.