JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would have been nice if my husband took the machine job at Leupolds, at least might have gotten some sort of discount. I looked at their scopes.
OOPS - incentive of me - I know there are female shooters
we have adj stock on 5 of our ARs
my wife is 5'1", i"m 5'7", our son is 6'
then we have Summer shooting in t-shirts and Winter shooting in heavy jackets
how do you get a fixed stock to fit all shooters under all conditions

I am retired. Karen
LOLLL
so am I now - on the down side of 70, purchased that scope when I was a high paid engineer back in 2018
I purchase Sig LPVO scopes for my ARs now
even Bushnell is fine for range shooting with a 22LR
being retired is even more reason to build your own AR since you live in Oregon
enjoy your 22LR - they are good training rifles
this is my Ruger 10/22 in an M1 Carbine stock with a Bushnell scope - my favorite field rifle

10_22 Carbine_1.JPG

I'd keep it cheap and simple if you're just starting out and plinking with a 22. If you want super basic head down to bimart and grab a simmons 22 mag 4x power fixed scope. It is a good scope for a 22 at a very reasonable ~$50 price tag.

If you want something with a little more magnification grab a 3-9x40 which is kind of the standard. One from a reputable manufacturer can be had for $100-150. Vortex, Burris, Bushnell to name a few.

You also have the options of red dots. But red dots that are cheap are not the best and not something I really recommend for someone learning to shoot. A really decent red dot usually gets up towards the $300 range.

I'd keep it cheap and simple if you're just starting out and plinking with a 22. If you want super basic head down to bimart and grab a simmons 22 mag 4x power fixed scope. It is a good scope for a 22 at a very reasonable ~$50 price tag.

If you want something with a little more magnification grab a 3-9x40 which is kind of the standard. One from a reputable manufacturer can be had for $100-150. Vortex, Burris, Bushnell to name a few.

You also have the options of red dots. But red dots that are cheap are not the best and not something I really recommend for someone learning to shoot. A really decent red dot usually gets up towards the $300 range.
Thank you. I will look at Bi-mart, I have seen the Vortex there.

that's a good price for a 22LR scope - less than a good bottle of wine
will have to pick one up to try
on all my 10/22, the scopes cost more than the rifle
I have an old Leopold 4X scope on one of my 10/22 - at the time in the '90s, it was $300

+1 for the vortex brand, I have their optics on a lot of my builds. I especially like their 1-4 scout style optics on AR builds. Clear enough you can shoot both eye open on 1x, and offer good versatility at 4x for longer shots. Only issue is their low light gathering potential, so they do not do much for you in low-light conditions. You need a really big objective to make a significant difference there, at least in my experience. Like 45mm+, which gets to be a pain to mount on some platforms.

and if you want true nighttime capabilities prepare to shell out a lot. I know some people have detailed how to build your own from parts for under $500, but that takes a fair bit of knowledge and engineering skills to pull off. I am not sure it is a practical route for the average consumer (at least not yet). Most decent kit is well up into the 2k+ range, with the best coming it at 6-10k. Nighttime shooty fun is a hobby unto itself.

that's a good price for a 22LR scope - less than a good bottle of wine
will have to pick one up to try
on all my 10/22, the scopes cost more than the rifle
I have an old Leopold 4X scope on one of my 10/22 - at the time in the '90s, it was $300

It is a decent scope for the money. I have one that has been on my first 22 since I got it. Nice and clear, simple and easy to use and has held up to thousands of rounds of use. It's what I learned with.

A decent scope for a 22lr for targets out to 100yds is a BSA Sweet22 3-9x40. It comes with 3 dials for 3 different bullet weights that adjust for holdover and includes mounting rings all for 70 bucks.

+1 for the vortex brand, I have their optics on a lot of my builds. I especially like their 1-4 scout style optics on AR builds. Clear enough you can shoot both eye open on 1x, and offer good versatility at 4x for longer shots. Only issue is their low light gathering potential, so they do not do much for you in low-light conditions. You need a really big objective to make a significant difference there, at least in my experience. Like 45mm+, which gets to be a pain to mount on some platforms.

and if you want true nighttime capabilities prepare to shell out a lot. I know some people have detailed how to build your own from parts for under $500, but that takes a fair bit of knowledge and engineering skills to pull off. I am not sure it is a practical route for the average consumer (at least not yet). Most decent kit is well up into the 2k+ range, with the best coming it at 6-10k. Nighttime shooty fun is a hobby unto itself.
I have seen one's in the thousands, I was just hoping wouldn't be so spendy, we win the lottery buy one then., lol

My recommendation for your M&P 15-22 is this:
I have a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9X rimfire scope on mine and it has worked great. Sadly, Nikon exited the rifle scope market several years ago, although if you find a used one, it could be an option. This Burris is as cheap as I would go, anything cheaper I would be highly skeptical of reliability and/or optical quality. Of course, there are lots of better (more costly) options available, but for a frugal shooter that desires decent quality, this is what I would go for. I have a number of Burris scopes mounted on various rifles and have been satisfied with their performance.

I have seen one's in the thousands, I was just hoping wouldn't be so spendy, we win the lottery buy one then., lol
Vortex has several lines to fit various budgets. Very generally the more expensive you go the more zoom you get from 1-Xx, but there are also some price gaps between different generations of the same line. Supposedly the higher tiers also have better coatings, more robust design, more features etc. but honestly other than the features I have seen little difference in quality throughout their line. All their glass is super clear and they all seem to be durable as hell. Maybe if you are the type of person who jumps out of a plane an parachutes down from 40k feet you would see a difference, but for most of us plebes finding the line that fits our budget and sticking with that will be 100% ok.

As for me? I run the cheap 1-4 and am super happy with it. I may upgrade to a 1-6 at some future point, but so far have never seen the need for it. YMMV

My recommendation for your M&P 15-22 is this:
I have a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9X rimfire scope on mine and it has worked great. Sadly, Nikon exited the rifle scope market several years ago, although if you find a used one, it could be an option. This Burris is as cheap as I would go, anything cheaper I would be highly skeptical of reliability and/or optical quality. Of course, there are lots of better (more costly) options available, but for a frugal shooter that desires decent quality, this is what I would go for. I have a number of Burris scopes mounted on various rifles and have been satisfied with their performance.
I've got a Nikon Pro Staff rimfire scope on my 10-22 and really like it. Vortex is great, I have one of their red dots on my 9mm AR. Easy to recommend either.

I went with the UTG BugBuster for my 22 Rifle (Ruger 10/22). Vortex and Leupold scopes are primo, but too much $$ for my blood.

UTG Bugbuster. (Amazon) $159

It's a compact size, 3-12X magnification, 32mm objective to allow good light in. I setup the 22 for 100 yard use. Perfect for that. Plus it has quick detach rings and parallax adjustment.

bugbuster.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads