JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For the sake of this thread, we're talking about revolvers you use to shoot paper targets, bowling pins, metallic silhouettes, et al. While handgun hunting and self-defense most certainly are part of the revolver world, the aforementioned is the focus.

So, what "makes" a great target/competition revolver for you? Make? Caliber? Sights? Grips? Accessories or whatever else?

Enjoy! :)

Last Edited:
I'm not a competition shooter, so I'm not very discriminating so long as the arm works as it should. But I did have a couple of Smith & Wessons that were excellent for target shooting just as they came to me. Both were Model 25-2, N Frame in .45 Auto or Auto Rim. The older name for these was Model 1955. 6-1/2 inch hefty bbl. S&W "target" sights and stocks. Rock steady in the hand. I had scads of .45 Auto Rim cases, so that's mostly what I fired in them, which eliminates the need for half moon clips.

Back in the 1990's, I actually saw some new .45 Auto Rim boxed ammo on the shelf in a gun store. It might've been at Kesselrings. It was made by PMC. Jacketed round nose bullet. That was the only time I ever saw any. I already had so many older RP cases on hand that I didn't buy the PMC. I only fired cast lead in .45 AR.

I had a couple of other Smith & Wessons that were good target shooters. One was a Model 24-3, .44 Special, made in the early 1980's. It had the 6 inch bbl. and target stocks, but unlike the 25-2, it had a skinny barrel and Patridge front sight. The K-22 Masterpiece that I had was a pretty good shooting revolver, 6 in. bbl., pre-Model 17 older example. It didn't have target stocks, just the ordinary magna style. Nice gun that I didn't shoot often.

I want a grip large enough to get all gripping fingers on the gun, sights bold enough to see against the target, and a sight radius long enough that the sight picture does not seem to move around. Caliber would depend on the target. 22lr will put holes in paper, but probably not knock down bowling pins. DR

When I played at PPC, these were my go to revolvers.

1707625674037.png

I don't have a picture of my 2.5 inch 686 but that one looks like any other example.

Then.....for the "unlimited category".......

1707625788411.png

Aloha, Mark

Cowboy Action Shooting (shooting at metal cut out targets) of course requires a much different sort of revolvers. Rrrrright......we're suppose to be "Cowboys". Here are mine......

1707626215600.png

Pair of 2nd Gen Colt SAAs.

1707626278902.png

But, now a days, I use this pair of Ruger Vaqueros. IMHO, they are a tough platform that can better withstand the abuse.

So basically, with most any Competition.......
You read the RULES and choose the firearms to suit the rules and that will allow you to hopefully succeed at the "game".

But remember, it's just a GAME.

Aloha, Mark

Tuned cylinder - chambers, gap to forcing cone, crane, aligned, timed, system mechanism smoothed.

Tuned trigger, sights of choice, grip/stocks
Yes I agree. Revolvers require a lot of reloading. Moon clips are a must. My 686+ 5" barrel PC 7 shot
1707651789191.png
Jerry Miculek written on the side, like in my S&W 929. Super accurate, great trigger, moon clips too.
Go up to a N frame gives you 8 rounds. 929
1707652071168.png
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41GCPbYlFKc

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR