What items do you have in your hunting day pack?

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
Unfortunately, alone most likely.
I hate playing by myself...Err...wait...What forum am I at...? :eek::D

Hunting with a buddy can make a difference with what you pack...when by yourself , you need to pack a bit more , just in case....also be sure to let someone know where you are hunting and how long you plan on being out...
Andy

11Charlie

Reactions
If you are by yourself then you need to carry more. This is all my opinion and I'm sure that others will add there thoughts. These are my must haves.

Food, water, extra socks, para cord, knife, side arm, thermal blanket, extra ammo, GPS (compass minimum), toilet paper, wet wipes, game bag, first aid supplies.

I'm sure I am missing something. but you get the gist.

OP
Baseacegoku
Reactions
I hate playing by myself...Err...wait...What forum am I at...? :eek::D

Hunting with a buddy can make a difference with what you pack...when by yourself , you need to pack a bit more , just in case....also be sure to let someone know where you are hunting and how long you plan on being out...
Andy
I always have a safety person.

OP
Baseacegoku
Reactions
If you are by yourself then you need to carry more. This is all my opinion and I'm sure that others will add there thoughts. These are my must haves.

Food, water, extra socks, para cord, knife, side arm, thermal blanket, extra ammo, GPS (compass minimum), toilet paper, wet wipes, game bag, first aid supplies.

I'm sure I am missing something. but you get the gist.
Yea I am working on assembling stuff. I dunno about a sidearm though. Especially since I will be carrying a rifle/shotgat.

OP
Baseacegoku
Reactions
What kind of rifle? Bolt action? you are limited on rounds so I can drop my rifle and have my side arm out in a hurry if need be with an extra 17 rounds.;)
Yea a bolt gun. I have read all the opinions one way or the other about carrying a side arm. I think I am going to be fine with my bolt gun as long as I make sure to keep it close by.

osprey

Reactions
My Montana big game hunts I will put on 5-15 miles a day and sometimes not see another soul. I use a Nimrod system pack with expandable cargo bag for meat hauling chores. Contents of pack are extra knive, headlamp, extra compass, wipes, 6 sqares of paper towels in freezer ziplock, superglue, emergency blanket, small steel, game bags, big black trash bag, folding bone/wood saw, small kitchen size trash bag, water bladder, 10 extra rds of ammo, gps, heavy gloves, small first aid kit, basic fire starting stuff, leatherman, moleskin, small roll of black tape, Jerky, energy bars, apple and sometimes a canned retort bag of albacore tuna if I know it will be a long one. One item I added a couple years ago that could save your life is a personal locator beacon. I use it while offshore on my boat and in remote huning areas. They can be had for under $300. ACR Electronics ResQLink+ GPS Personal Locator Beacon | REI Co-op

I feel comfortable with this load out even if I have to bivouac overnight. This list does not account for things on my person like compass, rangefinder, light gloves, rifle and ammo, binocs, etc. I only carry a sidearm in bear country.

Edit, forgot paracord and iphone for camera and backup gps.

Last edited:

Joe13

Reactions
I take a 2-way radio and leave the other with my wife and where I'll be and when I'll be back.

I prefer smaller plastic water bottles, easier to only use what you need and empty ones are light to pack out.

TP, wet wipes and hand sanitizer.

Plenty of food or snacks.

A lighter, long burn wind matches and fire starters. Small flares are also good.

First aid kit. Plus any medications I'm taking or may need.

Flashlight - prefer headlamp.

2 knives minimum.

If by myself I take a handgun for sure - bears aren't my worry, people are.

Game bags, gloves and paracord.

Extra socks and underwear never hurt and are light.

For 2 miles from the truck, I personally would only take what I needed for 36 hours.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Little Shop!
    I went in the place several weeks ago while visiting my kid at school. I ended up buying a new set of electronic ear muffs as my old ones were...
  • Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    My go-to
    Neil has been nothing but professional, helpful and fair since I was a brand new shooter. He and his staff treat everyone with respect and you...
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    1.00 star(s)
    Completely unhappy!
    Not happy, customer service is highly lacking, and the male employees are rude. We wont be back!!
  • Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
Top Bottom