JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never tried wiping with snow. On that note, this is what is in my daypack whenever I'm in the woods, hunting or not. Extra rifle ammo.is the exception for hurting.

First aid trauma kit with extra bandages of all sizes. Fire starter kit with: lighter, matches, magnesium starter, small candle, heavy foil for a shield, pieces of resin coated bark I collect as I find it, and a double sheet of newsprint. Personal needs, TP roll flattened (near the end of the roll) in a ziplock bag, a couple of the wipe packages you get at BBQ restaurants, hand warmers, lip balm. Water bottle, assortment of snack bars are pretty much my food supply, should improve that.
Then there's at least one knife that I'm not wearing, an extra mag for the sidearm,a compass, some paracord, whistle, mirror (actually, the last four are all combined into one unit), emergency blanket. And lastly a large plastic bag, like those one's used for can recycling. Folds up small and is good for many uses, especially sitting down in the wet stuff if needed.

My list is largely covered by responses I've seen above. A couple additional things to consider:
  • Collapsible/small seat cushion-great for long glassing sessions
  • If I have my spotting scope, include a phoneskope (and phone) for taking pictures/video
  • +1 on the satellite emergency beacon
My challenge historically has been limiting the size of my day pack. It's good to think through all of the things you might want to have with you, but then get serious about what you really feel you need vs. what can remain at camp.

Usually varies for me dependent on the country I'm in and season but a typical deer or elk hunt I take the following in the pack (eberlestock just one); TP in a gallon ziplock, folding bone saw, outdoor edge knife and blades, 5-10 rounds of ammo, a small flint, game bags, rain slicker, some cliff bars, jerky and fruit leather, I use a 100oz camelback for water. Depending on the weather I'll throw a change of socks and flannel in, we hunt out of camp most of the time and can put close to 10miles on the boots each day. We also all carry walkies so hopefully if something went haywire you can call in or contact someone. I also carry a sidearm, fixed blade knife, lighter and chapstick, and a head lamp cause I'm out hiking well before light.

Last Edited:
Other then basic survival supplies (matches, compass, small container of dryer lent, space blanket, electrical tape, life straw) I keep a garmin gps, streamlight head lamp, spare socks/shirt/skivies, paracord, a small otis gun cleaning kit (or spare broadheads or muzzleloader basics depending on the season) spare rifle ammo and 1 extra mag for my glock 20, lunch, a first aid kit, water, and a kill kit (havalon, gerber bone saw, gerber gut hook, game bags).

It seems like a lot but my average day trip is about 10 miles round trip of hiking depending on the season and the animal.

Most has been covered. I double or quadruple up on firestarters of various stripe (in case one method fails), an extra flashlight or two (just in case), extra batteries, flagging tape (to find my way back for second (or more) trip to ferry game meat), lightsticks (nice if you have to stay out, or can be used in a tree to mark the position of your game in the dark). I used to carry a pulley hoist for getting the bucks head up for gutting/skinning but it's really very optional.

What kinds of firestarter are you taking?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top