JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like to bring :
Chow...
Wet wipes...
Small first aid kit...
Extra socks...
Plastic bag ( to carry small game )
That's about it for me and during small game season.

For big game season when I range farther afield....I tend to carry more , depending on weather and for how long I am going to be out...
Andy

Unfortunately, alone most likely.
I hate playing by myself...Err...wait...What forum am I at...? :eek::D

Hunting with a buddy can make a difference with what you pack...when by yourself , you need to pack a bit more , just in case....also be sure to let someone know where you are hunting and how long you plan on being out...
Andy

If you are by yourself then you need to carry more. This is all my opinion and I'm sure that others will add there thoughts. These are my must haves.

Food, water, extra socks, para cord, knife, side arm, thermal blanket, extra ammo, GPS (compass minimum), toilet paper, wet wipes, game bag, first aid supplies.

I'm sure I am missing something. but you get the gist.

I hate playing by myself...Err...wait...What forum am I at...? :eek::D

Hunting with a buddy can make a difference with what you pack...when by yourself , you need to pack a bit more , just in case....also be sure to let someone know where you are hunting and how long you plan on being out...
Andy

I always have a safety person.

If you are by yourself then you need to carry more. This is all my opinion and I'm sure that others will add there thoughts. These are my must haves.

Food, water, extra socks, para cord, knife, side arm, thermal blanket, extra ammo, GPS (compass minimum), toilet paper, wet wipes, game bag, first aid supplies.

I'm sure I am missing something. but you get the gist.

Yea I am working on assembling stuff. I dunno about a sidearm though. Especially since I will be carrying a rifle/shotgat.

What kind of rifle? Bolt action? you are limited on rounds so I can drop my rifle and have my side arm out in a hurry if need be with an extra 17 rounds.;)
Yea a bolt gun. I have read all the opinions one way or the other about carrying a side arm. I think I am going to be fine with my bolt gun as long as I make sure to keep it close by.

My Montana big game hunts I will put on 5-15 miles a day and sometimes not see another soul. I use a Nimrod system pack with expandable cargo bag for meat hauling chores. Contents of pack are extra knive, headlamp, extra compass, wipes, 6 sqares of paper towels in freezer ziplock, superglue, emergency blanket, small steel, game bags, big black trash bag, folding bone/wood saw, small kitchen size trash bag, water bladder, 10 extra rds of ammo, gps, heavy gloves, small first aid kit, basic fire starting stuff, leatherman, moleskin, small roll of black tape, Jerky, energy bars, apple and sometimes a canned retort bag of albacore tuna if I know it will be a long one. One item I added a couple years ago that could save your life is a personal locator beacon. I use it while offshore on my boat and in remote huning areas. They can be had for under $300. ACR Electronics ResQLink+ GPS Personal Locator Beacon | REI Co-op

I feel comfortable with this load out even if I have to bivouac overnight. This list does not account for things on my person like compass, rangefinder, light gloves, rifle and ammo, binocs, etc. I only carry a sidearm in bear country.

Edit, forgot paracord and iphone for camera and backup gps.

Last Edited:
I take a 2-way radio and leave the other with my wife and where I'll be and when I'll be back.

I prefer smaller plastic water bottles, easier to only use what you need and empty ones are light to pack out.

TP, wet wipes and hand sanitizer.

Plenty of food or snacks.

A lighter, long burn wind matches and fire starters. Small flares are also good.

First aid kit. Plus any medications I'm taking or may need.

Flashlight - prefer headlamp.

2 knives minimum.

If by myself I take a handgun for sure - bears aren't my worry, people are.

Game bags, gloves and paracord.

Extra socks and underwear never hurt and are light.

For 2 miles from the truck, I personally would only take what I needed for 36 hours.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top