JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For me, it was a three-barreled "Drilling" in some really odd European caliber. I was in Canada in 1960, visiting a friend and his dad had this huge gun collection and asked me if I wanted to shot one of them. I pointed to this odd looking gun and he told me where and how he got it, then reached into a cabinet and took out a box of what appeared to be weenies and then we went outside to shoot it. It was enormously heavy and the recoil was ferocious, but it was a real treat to fire it. As I remember it, one of the barrels was chambered for a shotgun of unknown gauge.

For me, it was a three-barreled "Drilling" in some really odd European caliber. I was in Canada in 1960, visiting a friend and his dad had this huge gun collection and asked me if I wanted to shot one of them. I pointed to this odd looking gun and he told me where and how he got it, then reached into a cabinet and took out a box of what appeared to be weenies and then we went outside to shoot it. It was enormously heavy and the recoil was ferocious, but it was a real treat to fire it. As I remember it, one of the barrels was chambered for a shotgun of unknown gauge.

So.... you shot a handful of what looked like weenies? o_O

:s0140:

I've shot most of the usual military specimens.... dunno if they're considered "strange" or "unusual".;)

So.... you shot a handful of what looked like weenies? o_O

:s0140:

I've shot most of the usual military specimens.... dunno if they're considered "strange" or "unusual".;)
To a young boy, the cartridges seemed to be about the size of weenies. I actually think that the chambers were large enough to accommodate a weenie of the Oscar Meyer type.

I have two, though maybe not that "unusual" except for me;
First was a 8 ga goose gun with what seemed like a four foot barrel loaned to me while visiting in the early 70's to hunt the tiny deer in the dismal swamps. :eek: I only fired it one time shooting a slug, and that was enough to hope I never came across a deer. I didn't.
The second was a well worn US marked colt 1911 45 that was full auto that was owned by a friend of a friend while jack hunting northern Ca in the 60's. Try holding that on target by the time the magazine is emptied! Some years there were so many jacks you could of used a full auto and not put even a dent in the warren.:) A good jack population is the best way to lean to shoot on the fly.

I have two, though maybe not that "unusual" except for me;
First was a 8 ga goose gun with what seemed like a four foot barrel loaned to me while visiting in the early 70's to hunt the tiny deer in the dismal swamps. :eek: I only fired it one time shooting a slug, and that was enough to hope I never came across a deer. I didn't.
The second was a well worn US marked colt 1911 45 that was full auto that was owned by a friend of a friend while jack hunting northern Ca in the 60's. Try holding that on target by the time the magazine is emptied! Some years there were so many jacks you could of used a full auto and not put even a dent in the warren.:) A good jack population is the best way to lean to shoot on the fly.
I have seen the 8ga "Goose Guns" of which you speak! Did this one have brass shells? I think that these were lighter versions of "market" or "Punt" guns used in boats by market hunters.

I don't know if this is the most unusual (I'd have to think about that), but the Serbu Super Shorty in the battery is very ... unique when shooting said. Massive fireball, loud as can be,* and brutal recoil with 00-buck.

briefcase-jpg.700345

* I do most of my shooting on the extreme opposite end of our acreage. One time I touched off three rounds from this thing many acres away from the house. When I got home the wife asked "what the hell were you shooting up there?!" Evidently the report was loud. :s0112:

The most unusual gun I ever had the opportunity to shoot was a custom Remington XP-100 single shot handgun. It was owned by a fellow gun club member, the late Bill Bertram. He had it built as a retort to another gun writer who inferred that the .357 Herrett was the most powerful handgun one could reasonably control. "Brutus", as he affectionately named this bolt action 15" barrel beast was chambered in full length .458 Win. Magnum. I shot it twice, once with a "mild" load with a 350 gr cast round nose bullet, which wasn't too bad (fired Creedmoor, lying on your back with knees up, resting against your lower thigh.). And once with a full house load with a 500 gr jacketed round nose bullet, which drove my elbow into the ground as the gun went vertical. While it was decently accurate, nobody wanted to shoot a full 40 round silhouette match with it. :eek:

I don't know if this is the most unusual (I'd have to think about that), but the Serbu Super Shorty in the battery is very ... unique when shooting said. Massive fireball, loud as can be,* and brutal recoil with 00-buck.

briefcase-jpg.700345

* I do most of my shooting on the extreme opposite end of our acreage. One time I touched off three rounds from this thing many acres away from the house. When I got home the wife asked "what the hell were you shooting up there?!" Evidently the report was loud. :s0112:
Do you still have this? I've never seen one before. I imagine that it's quite load with those itty-bitty barrels!

The most unusual gun I ever had the opportunity to shoot was a custom Remington XP-100 single shot handgun. It was owned by a fellow gun club member, the late Bill Bertram. He had it built as a retort to another gun writer who inferred that the .357 Herrett was the most powerful handgun one could reasonably control. "Brutus", as he affectionately named this bolt action 15" barrel beast was chambered in full length .458 Win. Magnum. I shot it twice, once with a "mild" load with a 350 gr cast round nose bullet, which wasn't too bad (fired Creedmoor, lying on your back with knees up, resting against your lower thigh.). And once with a full house load with a 500 gr jacketed round nose bullet, which drove my elbow into the ground as the gun went vertical. While it was decently accurate, nobody wanted to shoot a full 40 round silhouette match with it. :eek:
This is the gun that is normally chambered for the Remington .221 Fireball?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top