JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless somebody's pulled the string on a 6" or bigger aboard ship, I think we have our Big Bore Champ right here.
I was able to call in for navel gunfire support from the USS Iowa. The shells were so powerful that they actually changed the landscape! New topographical maps had to be drawn. There were no trees, hills, monkeys or Communists left. One follower of Ho Chi Min was found sitting upright in a chair, deader than a nit, with his ear drums blown out and his eyeballs hanging out of the sockets. The Corpsman said that it was the worst concussive shock he'd ever seen. The explosions were huge. It was the most devastating show of gunfire I've ever seen. Good for the Navy!

During the Gulf War I was able to witness the after effects of the Wisconsin's fire on Iraqi Positions and while it most assuredly left one in awe, nothing left me as dumbstruck as seeing how nasty a job the A6's and AH64 Apache's did on all those Iraqi soldiers who were flash fried when their convoy's were trying to head back into Iraq were caught on the Highway of Death .

The B52 after effects on their dug in fighting positions were truly humbling to witness as well. The bombs fell from so high up those poor SOB's never knew there were planes in the air .

Mk19 grenade launcher was pretty spicey. ;)
Stomper before you get all he-man for that particular my 4'11" tall Daughter while in her Navy Corpsman Training spent a day in the field firing one of those with the Marines she was training with.

To this day years later hardly a family gathering goes by that the Daughter (8 years US NAVY as a Corpsman including time in Iraq) and my son (US NAVY 10 years as an ET on board multiple ships) argue which is the more impressive gun the daughters M19 or the Quad .50 mount my son fired during anti mine exercises.

Stomper before you get all he-man for that particular my 4'11" tall Daughter while in her Navy Corpsman Training spent a day in the field firing one of those with the Marines she was training with.

To this day years later hardly a family gathering goes by that the Daughter (8 years US NAVY as a Corpsman including time in Iraq) and my son (US NAVY 10 years as an ET on board multiple ships) argue which is the more impressive gun the daughters M19 or the Quad .50 mount my son fired during anti mine exercises.

Hey, didn't say it proved my manhood.... that's what bayonet training was for. :D

Uncommon and unusual for most, perhaps. For us and those like us, not so much :)

M109 155 mm Howitzer
105 mm Howitzer (towed version, don't recall the model number)
M30 4.2 inch mortar
M252 81 mm mortar
M224 60 mm mortar
M68 105 mm rifled tank cannon(M60A3 MBT)
M256 120 mm smoothbore tank cannon (M1A1 MBT)
BGM-71 tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided (TOW) heavy anti-tank missile weapon system (it just rolls of the tongue... )
M72 LAW
M2 HB .50 Caliber MG
M242 25 mm Bushmaster Chaingun
M240C 7.62 mm Machine gun
M60 7.62 mm Machine gun
M16 5.56 mm Rifle
M203 40 mm grenade launcher
M79 40 mm grenade launcher
M9 9 mm pistol
AK 47
AKM 47
RPK-74
RPK-74M
PKM Machine gun
Makarov pistol

For me the most unusual firearms I've fired are:
Pzf44
MG3
while spending 2 weeks TDY with our German sister unit I had the opportunity to shoot some of their more fun toys.

CROWS maybe?

F66540E6-471B-4AC4-8B0B-42B0271C699D.jpeg

Edit to add: AutoMag 180 44AMP, LAR Grizzly MARKV 50AE

Last Edited:
I am told I am a bit of an unusual man (hopefully in a good way). However, I don't like unusual firearms.

I think the strangest thing I ever shot was a Tavor. It was kind of cool, but I'd never buy one.

a .30.06 Mauser probably. A mauser isn't unusual, but that it was a military Mauser and not converted at any point (it was built in .30-06 by FN) isn't something most people think of.

The person at the gun shop doing the transfer thought it was just a converted Mauser when I said it was .30-06. o_O

Some Army guys but a couple of "gun trucks" using quad fifties. Can you imagine the cost of the ammo that those dudes put through those guns?Wow!
.45 caliber and .50 caliber muskets built by Mr. Clyde Wherry of Multnomah Muzzleloaders.
During the Gulf War I was able to witness the after effects of the Wisconsin's fire on Iraqi Positions and while it most assuredly left one in awe, nothing left me as dumbstruck as seeing how nasty a job the A6's and AH64 Apache's did on all those Iraqi soldiers who were flash fried when their convoy's were trying to head back into Iraq were caught on the Highway of Death .

The B52 after effects on their dug in fighting positions were truly humbling to witness as well. The bombs fell from so high up those poor SOB's never knew there were planes in the air .

The death toll from those B-52 bombings have never been released. I'm guessing that the numbers would be staggering.
a .30.06 Mauser probably. A mauser isn't unusual, but that it was a military Mauser and not converted at any point (it was built in .30-06 by FN) isn't something most people think of.

The person at the gun shop doing the transfer thought it was just a converted Mauser when I said it was .30-06. o_O
Are you talking about a K98 Mauser that was originally chambered in 30.06 instead of 8MM?

#1 most unusual was probably the Anti-Personnel Obstacle Breaching System (APOBS). It was two backpacks with hard shells carried by a two man team. They contain a small rocket and a long fabric rope filled with 40mm grenades. The backpacks are placed on the ground, the two ropes are connected together and to the rocket. When it's triggered, you have about 30 seconds to clear the area. The rocket takes off and carries the rope over obstacles like c-wire or mine fields, and the whole thing detonates, clearing a safe path. It's a replacement for the bangalore torpedoes.

#2 would be probably be the MK153 SMAW. It's a unique rocket launcher because it has a "spotting rifle" bolted to the side of it. The rifle fires one of the weirdest cartridges you'll ever see, but they're tracers that are ballistically matched to the rocket trajectory. Fire your spotting rounds to get on target, pull a lever while you hold your point of aim, and the next trigger pull fires the rocket instead of the spotting rifle.

100_0311.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top