JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is the most practical gun for home defense?

• Pistol

• Shotgun

• Rifle

• PCC

Results are only viewable after voting.
Could always try the Bueller Defense: Yell through the door "Excuse me: if whoever was in this house is still in the house, I'd like you to know that I've just called the police. I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* case of herpes." :)

I'd probably grab a handgun first (1911 or .357 revolver), but I also keep handy a semi-auto 12ga with a mag extension loaded with seven rounds of 00 buck followed by three slugs. It's nice to have options.

Even though I don't own a can, my desired set up would be an 8 inch .300 blk out using subs with a can. I have no desire to deal with the permanent hearing loss that would be firing a pistol, shotgun, or rifle indoors.

I have my silencer-equipped AR (300BLK) beside the bed because I don't want to deafen my family in case I need to use it, and I want something reliable and familiar. If I didn't have to worry about ruining my child's ability to enjoy music I'll inevitably hate, the math would be different, maybe.

07813E42-D2E0-40D9-868F-D0DC3B71594C.jpeg

360E8042-24A1-4C9F-9212-BD2358E650A8.jpeg

F025516B-3FDB-4D14-9AD7-F262B62E06E1.jpeg

The best defense is keeping your doors locked, entryways clear, and house well-lit. The second is a gun you can handle confidently and quickly under stress. For most this is a short-barreled shotgun.

I like to use a red dot for low light and CQB practice. I like the Holosun red dots and RMR's that are auto-on/off with the 65 MOA circle. If you train with that circle you just can't miss at self-defense distances.

Now, If crowds of people are in the street throwing Molotov Cocktails, then I will take an AR. But obviously I hope that never happens.

For most people, Pistol or Bullpup rifle in 5.56 with 32gr high-velocity ammo. Short weapon for maneuverability, 30 round magazine so you won't run out of ammo easily, 32gr HV ammo so if you do miss it doesn't over-penetrate too badly.

But I live in a more remote home, so I use 40gr as it is easier to get and still tends not to over-penetrate all that badly, which is still a minor concern for me.

For most people, Pistol or Bullpup rifle in 5.56 with 32gr high-velocity ammo. Short weapon for maneuverability, 30 round magazine so you won't run out of ammo easily, 32gr HV ammo so if you do miss it doesn't over-penetrate too badly.

But I live in a more remote home, so I use 40gr as it is easier to get and still tends not to over-penetrate all that badly, which is still a minor concern for me.
Yeah - some people don't get that those varmint rounds at high velocity disintegrate on impact and will penetrate less than pistol rounds.

I agree: the best weapon is often the closest one to hand, and there is no "right" gun for home defense because everyone and their homes are all different.

Fo me:
We don't have neighbors, so I have a bedside AR SBR with gemtech and combo light/laser activated by pressure pad, zeroed at 15 feet. Alternating soft-points and vmax in the mag.

Plan: If no hostage, kill invaders. If hostage, maybe the laser will help.

Also have a few pistols stashed in various places.

I don't have a dog.

Probably the best defense for home invasion IMO is a rottweiler sleeping in the den plus guns for the homeowner.

Dogs are a serious problem for potential home invaders. They are loud and unpredictable. They start barking before you can even get into the house. They can see and smell you in the dark. Some protect turf aggressively.

According to my reading, one catalyst for the mainstream pursuit of suppressed subsonic platforms that started ~30 years ago was some Israeli force looking for the best way to deal with dogs when sneaking up on a bad guy's house.

I should probably get a dog.

Glock 17, MOS, with mounted red dot, rail light, normal 17 round magazine & a higher capacity backup loaded with Sig or Hornady 124 gr. JHP. That's what I've got for city living.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top