JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is the most practical gun for home defense?

• Pistol

• Shotgun

• Rifle

• PCC

Results are only viewable after voting.
Practical / "best" for who...?
What works well for one person with how they shoot and their living situation , will be different for another person.

I prefer a shotgun for home defense...that is practical for me and where I live.
But that may not be the best choice for others.

It is your life and home , defend it with what is best for you...not what someone else uses or thinks is best.

Please note that :
It is good to discuss the merits of various firearms and loadings for home defense.
I am just saying that one should use what works for their situation and not get all caught up in :
"I gotta use this , 'cause someone on the internet said its the best."
Andy

I was for a LONG time a big fan of the simple shotgun for home. I have for a good while now been far more inclined to recommend a good PCC instead. FAR easier to use for "newbies" and for people who will not practice with a shotgun. They tend to be fun for almost anyone who likes to shoot so they will get more practice.

Home defense is a pretty broad brush to paint with. Are you talking something to grab when woken by a bump in the dark or maybe a stand your ground against wandering hordes?

The best home defense weapon is the one you can make hits consistently with, can competently and comfortably operate, and practice frequently with.

Different circumstances may favor different form factors, but the basics never change.

Option A. What is the the type of gun you would grab to defend yourself if you have home intruders. How many who knows? Hence my hesitation to get a shotgun even with semi auto mag fed AR12. I'd rather grab my Nak9 Draco with a 32 round magazine throw my Glock 17 or 43x in a kydex as a backup.

Depends. Twice the wife has used the 12ga. In a extended stay hotel in Peach Tree area of Atlanta. She used it to scare off the same PoS 2 days in a row by Jump Racking the 12 Ga right next to our door he was useing a code generator in the lock card slot. She made me move the crew to Kennesaw for the rest of the project.

In the country the 12 ga works best for us too. If you know how to hand feed the tube before racking you can choose the appropriate round for what working with. Like a lion in the corral, escaped convict on the porch, or skunk in the garbage.

I have at least one of each type ready to go in place where it makes the most sense.

My favs are a 9mm with 17rd mag +1 at my TV chair to defend against multiple home invaders.

A Taurus Judge with PDX1 copper discs and bb's to defend my bedroom door.

A 9mm Glock 34 with WML for house clearing "bump in the night" kind of event.

A braced faux SBR AR pistol with 20rd mag and a WML for more serious bump in the night events.

A combat shotgun to defend the garage/yard/neighborhood and for serious bedroom defense.

A Circuit Court Judge shotgun with 3"PDX1 for my wife to defend the office in the rear of the house.

A .357 for answering the door late at night.

No kids and no grandkids. I have tamper resistant locks, so my house is a gun room.

Last Edited:
Hmmm, let's see...

We've got hundreds of different firearm and ammo combinations multiplied by thousands of different living situations...so the best firearm is...

Well, that's easy. It's the one you've got.

f4fb90997896a266bee9ca36a586efe2.png

Suppressed AR15 SBR with iron sights. Simple. Glock 9mm as a second choice.

I have a suppressed XDm 9mm. Figure my hearing is bad enough as it is I need to protect what is left.

The reason I go with just the pistol is that I live in an area with close-in neighbors. Plus my house is rather small. I don't need/want to pull the trigger and worry that I may harm somebody else.

The best home defense gun a lot depends on your situation (big house, little house, an apartment, home, city or counrty, living with children, spouse or alone). It also depends on your comfort, confidence and skill level. I recommend getting some professional self-defense firearm training and the answer will be clear for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top