JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is the most practical gun for home defense?

• Pistol

• Shotgun

• Rifle

• PCC

Results are only viewable after voting.
For most people, Pistol or Bullpup rifle in 5.56 with 32gr high-velocity ammo. Short weapon for maneuverability, 30 round magazine so you won't run out of ammo easily, 32gr HV ammo so if you do miss it doesn't over-penetrate too badly.

But I live in a more remote home, so I use 40gr as it is easier to get and still tends not to over-penetrate all that badly, which is still a minor concern for me.

I use a 20rd mag because I think it is more maneuverable for house clearing corners. I switch from right handed to left handed and find the smaller mag easier when doing so. Also, I tend to (incorrectly) hug cover and will naturally tilt the AR/SBR when leaning out, so I don't want the mag hung up on the corner.

Pistol for inside the house. I prefer to have a free hand for opening/closing doors, turning on lights, etc. and since I don't plan on shooting someone outside of my house, so longer range isn't really important to me. I do have my 30-30 ready though, if there is a predator after my livestock, and my AR is locked up but easy to get to and ready to roll if really needed. I like to be realistic though, where I live, my biggest concern is a coyote or cat after my animals.

OK, sorry to say but I read every post, and am still left wondering what a PCC is? Portland Community College is what we know it as.

Edit: did a search: "Pistol-caliber carbines (PCC)". Who calls them that? Please don't do things like this to us old folks. :oops: . Being old is hard enough ya know:)

This would be a good city/suburbs choice too. Also an example of a PCC for you older folks.

20210525_105842.jpg

"Pistol-caliber carbines (PCC)". Who calls them that?
Everybody. :p ;) :D

Though I do admit that it's a relatively new phenom. I knew about AR9s, but I wasn't familiar with PCCs until, a number of years ago, my IDPA club ran some 2-gun stages and the match director let us that didn't have an appropriate long gun use his two Ruger .40cal PCC rifles. I think it may have been Ruger that coined the term. But one shooter had a Keltec 2000 there, which is also a PCC, as well as Hi-Point and maybe a few others.

Like the term or not, the description is accurate.

Everybody. :p ;) :D

Though I do admit that it's a relatively new phenom. I knew about AR9s, but I wasn't familiar with PCCs until, a number of years ago, my IDPA club ran some 2-gun stages and the match director let us that didn't have an appropriate long gun use his two Ruger .40cal PCC rifles. I think it may have been Ruger that coined the term. But one shooter had a Keltec 2000 there, which is also a PCC, as well as Hi-Point and maybe a few others.

Like the term or not, the description is accurate.
They're easy to point and low recoil and some are very ergonomic, which makes them a lot of fun on the range, popular in some shooting sports and often a good choice for home defense.

The Winchester Repeating Arms company would like a word in private ...
I was thinking of the semi auto ones that we would see for sale now that are actually called PCCs... (I don't think Win advertised their rifles as a PCC whereas the Ruger is actually called The Ruger PCC), not stuff more suited for Cowboy action. :p :D

BTW, Pawn Stars had a 1886 Lever Action .45-90 (yes, not .45-70) that they bought from a guy. Worth only $3000 because of it's condition, but an unmodified original in good condition might have been worth $10k.

Pistol cartridges suck at stopping people, why any would choose a pistol or PCC as their main defensive weapon in their home when there is a rifle or shotgun nearby is beyond me. The one and only advantage a pistol processes is the fact they are handy and easy to conceal, neither of which is a factor in the home. Guarantee, you kick in my door you'll be greeted with a hail of 5.56 or 00 buck not 9mm pills.

The best home defense weapon is the one you can make hits consistently with, can competently and comfortably operate, and practice frequently with.

Different circumstances may favor different form factors, but the basics never change.

THIS!

Cate

I use what works for me. Different home, different location for now, older age, and physical issues.

CZ 457 Lux in 22wmr - bolt action rifle - iron sights.

(There is a duplicate one here too. It is my husband's rifle but he would use something else.)

I have the same rifle, CZ 457 Lux, in 22lr with extra magazines too. That CZ 457 in 22lr uses the same magazines as the CZ455 Lux (Same style.) in 22lr that I gave to my husband.

I back up my self defense tools with VERY SPECIFIC fixed blade knifes, a couple of axes and a couple of 'hawks.

Old Lady Cate

PS: What is practical for me may not be practical for another person and that includes my husband.

Lol but what Joe doesn't tell you.
Because he's a Idiot.
Is when you fire a double barrel shotgun twice in the air.
You have a empty gun.
Basically you are left with a metal pipe to defend your house with.
Lol

Hmmm, let's see...

We've got hundreds of different firearm and ammo combinations multiplied by thousands of different living situations...so the best firearm is...

Well, that's easy. It's the one you've got.
I knew someone would beat me to it.. Lol. "The one you have that's closest to you ATM" is what i was going to say.
I prefer to load stuff progressively. In other words i load like 90gn 9mm super fast or 45gn or lower varmint rounds, light bird shot etc. first then they get successively stronger and more penetration focussed etc. I have separate mags loaded with different types of rounds for AR and shotguns like tracers, m855a1 then 75gn BTHP yadda yadda. Ya its mall ninja, but i like to cover all my bases. Ya never know.

I have a suppressed XDm 9mm. Figure my hearing is bad enough as it is I need to protect what is left.

The reason I go with just the pistol is that I live in an area with close-in neighbors. Plus my house is rather small. I don't need/want to pull the trigger and worry that I may harm somebody else.
Im with that warrior poet guy on this one. I WANT ALL my neighbors to hear whats going on.
One so they can take cover etc. Check on kids if need be, and two so they can witness etc. Whatever during/afterwards.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top